Author Topic: The NBA is too all in on gambling.  (Read 8477 times)

Re: The NBA is too all in on gambling.
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2024, 06:32:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2536
All of America is TOO all in on gambling, or at least the amount. Of gambling companies and commercials are eclipsing male help  type products .

People who seem to like betting are folk that shouldn't be wasting money , they should spend first for health of their  children, shelter , gas and other essentials. It screws with their priorities.  I don’t think encouraging them is good.

I’m pretty much in agreement but then again I don’t do sports gambling so I don’t have a personal interest in it. So, all the betting line and gambling talk throughout broadcasts is a minor annoyance to me - not a huge deal but I’d prefer none of it. I do think we’re in the midst of an initial heightened wave of gambling - not that it didn’t exist prior to the laws changing but there is an intense boom currently - a lot of people who didn’t bet much before are betting now. I wonder how many will start to cut back realizing that it’s easy to get overly wrapped up in it. I think gambling can pretty easily become an obsession - even if the $$ isn’t out of control. That is, that every day a predominance of thought is devoted to lines and bets and ultimately, the outcomes - all to start over as soon as the night’s games end.  And of course, some are betting amounts they can’t afford to lose, and I’m pretty confident there’s a good number concealing some of the betting from spouses.  All this has the potential to be pretty unhealthy and costly money-wise, relationship-wise, and impactful to one’s mental health. Having said that, I also have no doubt that most bettors have it under control and are just enjoying a new source of entertainment. But, I do hope that the focus on betting on sports channels - radio and TV -  reduces at some point.

« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2024, 12:53:22 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
All of America is TOO all in on gambling, or at least the amount. Of gambling companies and commercials are eclipsing male help  type products .

People who seem to like betting are folk that shouldn't be wasting money , they should spend first for health of their  children, shelter , gas and other essentials. It screws with their priorities.  I don’t think encouraging them is good.

I’m pretty much in agreement but then again I don’t do sports gambling so I don’t have a personal interest in it. So, all the betting line and gambling talk throughout broadcasts is a minor annoyance to me - not a huge deal but I’d prefer none of it. I do think we’re in the midst of an initial heightened wave of gambling - not that it didn’t exist prior to the laws changing but there is an intense boom currently - a lot of people who didn’t bet much before are betting now. I wonder how many will start to cut back realizing that it’s easy to get overly wrapped up in it. I think gambling can pretty easily become an obsession - even if the $$ isn’t out of control. That is, that every day a predominance of thought is devoted to lines and bets and ultimately, the outcomes - all to start over as soon as the night’s games end.  And of course, some are betting amounts they can’t afford to lose, and I’m pretty confident there’s a good number concealing some of the betting from spouses.  All this has the potential to be pretty unhealthy and costly money-wise, relationship-wise, and impactful to one’s mental health. Having said that, I also have no doubt that most bettors have it under control and are just enjoying a new source of entertainment. But, I do hope that the focus on betting on sports channels - radio and TV -  reduces at some point.

Yeah even as someone that enjoys it they really need to cut down on the ads.

« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2024, 08:34:33 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1574

This is incorrect if you use me as an example. don't generalize. i am a businessman and investor who likes to gamble albeit responsibly. I mean i can do whatever the heck i want anyway but of course i put priorities first. i use many professional systems also. People can choose not to gamble like they can choose to not drink or smoke dope. we all have a choice and can we do it responsibly? I completely respect ya'll that choose not to gamble. your choice.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:44:30 AM by Boston Garden Leprechaun »
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2024, 08:14:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745

I haven't spent a ton of time outside the U.S. but I lived in Ireland for 4 months and was surprised to see that sports gambling is a totally common thing. So much so that there are storefronts for sports books in many tons.

I think the gambling is just as and more common (and often more common) in other countries. The difference is marketing.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008