Author Topic: SI's Mock 3.0  (Read 3567 times)

SI's Mock 3.0
« on: February 14, 2020, 09:51:42 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Jeremy Woo's latest mock is up on SI. Here are who he has the Celts picking

17. Celtics (via Grizzlies) - Vernon Carey Jr., C, Duke

Height: 6’10” | Weight: 270 | Age: 18 | Freshman

The Grizzlies’ pick now appears all but certain to convey to Boston, with Ja Morant having catalyzed a playoff push on arrival, and Memphis looking unlikely to leap into the top of the lottery. That has to be disappointing for Boston, who would have gotten the pick unprotected in 2021, and now will likely hold three first-rounders going into an iffy 2020 draft. The Celtics have an obvious hole to patch at center, but in this scenario, the top bigs are off the board. There’s a good deal of disagreement among teams as far as Carey goes, as there’s projectable value with his productivity, youth and athletic ability for his size, but also real concern about his lack of polish around the rim and potential to struggle defensively moving his feet away from the basket. He may not be a perfect answer here, but this would primarily be a need pick. Boston simply needs to find a role player here.

27. Celtics - Precious Achiuwa, F, Memphis

Height: 6’8” | Weight: 210 | Age: 20 | Freshman

Achiuwa has been a bit polarizing all season for scouts, but his production has also turned downward in recent weeks, making him an even trickier sell despite his strong athletic tools. Teams are unsure whether he’s truly an accessory to winning games, or if his stats are more empty calories at this point. The general perception is that Achiuwa would be best off as a small-ball five, and that his tendencies to drift toward the perimeter and moonlight as a skill player are often self-defeating. He’s a much more feasible upside play in the 20s than in the teens, and would be an interesting gamble

30. Celtics (via Bucks) - Tyrell Terry, G, Stanford

Height: 6’2” | Weight: 160 | Age: 19 | Freshman

The fact that Terry is listed at 160 pounds, a number which might be generous, serves to explain the trepidation over him as a one-and-done player—physically, he’s not close to ready for the NBA. But he’s helped rejuvenate Stanford upon arrival in college, and his pull-up shooting skills, secondary playmaking and overall feel for facilitating offense really stands out upon close examination. He’s looked like the best guard prospect on the floor even against strong opponents, and a lot of what he does so well in terms of ball movement and decision-making doesn’t show up in a box score. Terry has looked like a first-round caliber talent, and although he may not even test the waters this season, he’s a name to watch closely the rest of the way. It may behoove him to return to college and get stronger, given that this draft class is shaping up as exceedingly guard-heavy.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/02/12/nba-mock-draft-anthony-edwards-lamelo-ball-isaac-okoro

Re: SI's Mock 3.0
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 09:57:58 AM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Maybe it’s me but I feel like these scouting reports are severely underrating Carey. I don’t think he’s Joel Embiid but I think he’s going to be good at the next level and personally think he’d be a steal at 17. Maybe I’m missing something?

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe it’s me but I feel like these scouting reports are severely underrating Carey. I don’t think he’s Joel Embiid but I think he’s going to be good at the next level and personally think he’d be a steal at 17. Maybe I’m missing something?
His problems are his conditioning and genetics. Carey, for all his supposed top 5 in a draft level talent isn't conditioned enough to do more than 25-27 minutes a game in college. If he doesn't change, that doesn't project to starter ability. 2nd, his dad was an NFL lineman, a really good one. But his dad was a massive 330-350 while in his 20's. Many scouts fear Carey may be destined for that size which would put him out of the NBA very quickly.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
uuuggghh....

more kids to plug into an already very young team.

Just trade it all for veteran help.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 11:28:54 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
uuuggghh....

more kids to plug into an already very young team.

Just trade it all for veteran help.
That's how you get into cap hell. You need guys on rookie contracts that contribute.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 11:50:15 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Thank for posting the mock. Here are my thoughts

1. Carey wouldn't be a bad pick as a long term big prospect but I'm still hopeful that Memphis won't make the playoffs (they have the hardest remaining strength of schedule). I hope that the Celtics will be picking closer to 13 or 14 than 17.

2. Love Precious as a high upside big. I want us to keep drafting high upside bigs until someone looks like the long term answer there.

3. The Celtics don't really have enough roster spots to keep all 3 picks. If they aren't able to trade one of their picks for a future one or consolidate picks to move up then I think they will pick the best draft and stash player available with at least one of the picks.

4. In terms of position I'd like to see them draft a big man. I could also see them drafting a wing because Danny really prioritizes that position. A point guard to push Wannamaker out of the rotation next year wouldn't be terrible either.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
big pile of yuck.

assuming Danny brings back almost everyone that he can (figuring he resigns Kanter.  Wanamaker and Green move on to greener pastures for more money.  Poirier is traded -- probably with a pick and possibly Edwards in order for someone to take his deal off our hands next year.  Hayward opts in), I don't see Danny making more than one first round pick (Memphis) in the next draft.  I hope he ships out any late firsts for future picks or in a deal for a decent, low-cost vet for the bench.

really hoping Memphis hits the wall and the teams currently well behind them in the West catch them so the pick jumps to around 12 or so.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 01:58:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
His problems are his conditioning and genetics. Carey, for all his supposed top 5 in a draft level talent isn't conditioned enough to do more than 25-27 minutes a game in college. If he doesn't change, that doesn't project to starter ability. 2nd, his dad was an NFL lineman, a really good one. But his dad was a massive 330-350 while in his 20's. Many scouts fear Carey may be destined for that size which would put him out of the NBA very quickly.

Good info Nick, TP

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
 - I don't have an issue with the Cs draft Carey but he will be physically limited with the role he can play at the next level. His lack of athleticism and length will relegate him to a similar role as Kanter of Okafor. If used properly he will bring value to his team but with limited upside. I am higher on Stewart who SI has going one pick earlier. While less skilled on offense I think his physical style of play and length will allow him to carve out a bigger less match-up dependent role in NBA.   

- would be a HUGE steal at #27. He has his short comings that are put on display when he attempts to play the wing however as a small ball big man prospect he is really intriguing. At 6'9 with a 7'2.25" wing span he has the size/length to hang with all but the biggest NBA centers. He is both an elite rebounder and an elite athlete. He has a high floor as a Pick & Role dive man who also has the ceiling (all be it unlikely) to become a Siakam like player. I would be content if the Cs drafted him at #17.   

- I havent watched Stanford play this season so nothing to say about Terry

This does bring up the subject of roster construction and have 3 first round pick post trade deadline.

Looking at this SI mock draft I would 100% take Theo Maledon the 18 year old french PG or Saddiq Bey the 20 year old wing at #17. Not expecting Achiuwa to be available at #27 I would try to trade up as high as possible using #27 and #30 to get him.

If the draft doesn't play out the way SI is predicting I could see the Cs attempting to trade #17 + Semi + #27 or #30 to target a player that DA is high on.

If Cole Anthony or RJ Hampton slip they could be the type of high upside player DA targets.

I also like how Okongwu, Haliburton or Hayes could fit in BS style of play.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, his dad playing at 340 while being 5 inches shorter than his son is now is definitely cause for concern. Jr is a really big basketballer. His defensive troubles are pretty legit - he doesn't look comfortable defending outside the paint. However, he's an absolute bull. With a pick that low maybe we pull the trigger.

My hope is we trade two of our first rounders anyway.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
 - I don't have an issue with the Cs draft Carey but he will be physically limited with the role he can play at the next level. His lack of athleticism and length will relegate him to a similar role as Kanter of Okafor. If used properly he will bring value to his team but with limited upside. I am higher on Stewart who SI has going one pick earlier. While less skilled on offense I think his physical style of play and length will allow him to carve out a bigger less match-up dependent role in NBA.   

- would be a HUGE steal at #27. He has his short comings that are put on display when he attempts to play the wing however as a small ball big man prospect he is really intriguing. At 6'9 with a 7'2.25" wing span he has the size/length to hang with all but the biggest NBA centers. He is both an elite rebounder and an elite athlete. He has a high floor as a Pick & Role dive man who also has the ceiling (all be it unlikely) to become a Siakam like player. I would be content if the Cs drafted him at #17.   

- I havent watched Stanford play this season so nothing to say about Terry

This does bring up the subject of roster construction and have 3 first round pick post trade deadline.

Looking at this SI mock draft I would 100% take Theo Maledon the 18 year old french PG or Saddiq Bey the 20 year old wing at #17. Not expecting Achiuwa to be available at #27 I would try to trade up as high as possible using #27 and #30 to get him.

If the draft doesn't play out the way SI is predicting I could see the Cs attempting to trade #17 + Semi + #27 or #30 to target a player that DA is high on.

If Cole Anthony or RJ Hampton slip they could be the type of high upside player DA targets.

I also like how Okongwu, Haliburton or Hayes could fit in BS style of play.
I, myself, would not take Bey at 17. That's just me. I know he has nice floor but would not consider him until late 1st round.  The "Bey" I would prefer, late first, is Tyler from Colorado. Better rebounder, defender. and athlete. Saddiq is hands down the better shooter though. I wouldn't mind either with our later picks.