Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 572088 times)

letsgoblue86, trickybilly, Atzar, hpantazo, celticinorlando, Lioney, cdcd, SparzWizard, j804, Surferdad, No Nickname, Roy H., Who, theswitch, jpotter33, NextCeltic34, smicker16, celticsclay, Birdman, President Red, DefenseWinsChamps, jambr380, CelticsWhat35, knuckleballer, Neurotic Guy, tazzmaniac, tonydelk and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #7575 on: May 07, 2024, 08:32:44 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
If Tatum or someone else did what Murray did then forget suspended, they'd probably be arrested  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7576 on: May 07, 2024, 09:00:39 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Geeze, Mitchell Robinson out for the rest of the playoffs now with a stress fracture in his foot. Another big injury blow for NYK. No way they can sustain their current pace of play all through this tough Indy series and keep it up next series, too.

Yeah that's actually a tough loss for them. They have Hartenstein and Achiuwa, and a guy like Josh Hart who is like the energizer bunny out there grabbing rebounds, but Hartenstein tends to foul a lot and Achiuwa is solid, nothing more (like Kornet/Tillman).

Boy if KP could come back for the ECF though, that'd give us another huge advantage for the C's against them.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7577 on: May 07, 2024, 10:39:21 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
Murray got a $100K fine but no suspension.

The fine is admittedly a fat one, but I fail to see why Dejounte Murray bumps a ref and gets a game last year while Murray throws junk at a ref TWICE and doesn't miss time.  The Nuggets got really lucky.  I think it's pretty clear that the league isn't going to suspend a star player from an important playoff game unless he comes on court with a shotgun.

There is way too much TV money involved for the 0-2 Nuggets to lose their second best player due to a suspension. I bet if the Nuggets were up 2-0 or if the series was tied, then he would have been suspended for one game.

« Reply #7578 on: May 07, 2024, 10:57:41 PM »

Online celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Murray got a $100K fine but no suspension.

The fine is admittedly a fat one, but I fail to see why Dejounte Murray bumps a ref and gets a game last year while Murray throws junk at a ref TWICE and doesn't miss time.  The Nuggets got really lucky.  I think it's pretty clear that the league isn't going to suspend a star player from an important playoff game unless he comes on court with a shotgun.

You are always going to get more of a penalty for making actual physical contact with a ref than doing something that could have made physical contact with a ref/player but didn’t. I don’t really get the people wanting a pound of flesh on this. For what it is worth he probably would have gotten a one game suspension in regular season but I’m all for not having a series end non competively over a rule infraction that isn’t a full out injury. Also I don’t know how anyone can think this is worse than what Embid did against Robinson (and that was actual contact that injured Robinson on a complete non basketball play). Last tight, is there anyone here that thought it was great when the suns had their players suspended for stepping off the bench after Nash was body slammed?

« Reply #7579 on: May 08, 2024, 12:11:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
If Tatum or someone else did what Murray did then forget suspended, they'd probably be arrested  :P

If Tatum or any Celtic Player……

« Reply #7580 on: May 08, 2024, 12:15:50 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1035
I still expect the Thunder/Mavs series to be a good one, but Luka is shooting like 39% (and 22% from 3) in these playoffs. If he doesn’t start shooting the ball better (which he has from the line sans tonight) they may be in for a short series.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7581 on: May 08, 2024, 02:06:11 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Crazy that the Thunder still have a Celtics-signed max contract on their books who isn't playing in the rotation.

Good luck to Gordy!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7582 on: May 08, 2024, 05:49:52 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
OKC in 5
Minnesota sweep

Knicks in 7
Celtics in 5

Why OKC not getting any love is beyond me..team had best record in West & has one of top 3 players in NBA in Alexander..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7583 on: May 08, 2024, 05:58:53 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376
OKC in 5
Minnesota sweep

Knicks in 7
Celtics in 5

Why OKC not getting any love is beyond me..team had best record in West & has one of top 3 players in NBA in Alexander..

small market team. but then again minnesota isn't a huge market either so honestly idk lol

but I feel they are the least hyped #1 seed.

« Reply #7584 on: May 08, 2024, 06:07:05 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376
I hope pacers win tonight and refs don't screw them. need this series to go long and Thibs to tire out his players like he usually does running them into the ground.

« Reply #7585 on: May 08, 2024, 06:51:07 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
OKC in 5
Minnesota sweep

Knicks in 7
Celtics in 5

I think people correctly identified two major weak points in OKC that will harm their post-season chances. (1) lack of playoff experience (2) lack of interior presence. Only one legit big in Chet and he is skinny and easy to push around.

However, the draw has been kind to OKC. They could have easily crashed in the first round if they had drawn the Lakers or someone like that. A team with experience and an interior presence.

Instead they got an injured New Orleans team and then in the 2nd round where always going to get a team in either PHX or DAL who had no interior presence.

So now they have a lucky draw all the way to the WCF where they will meet a team with strong big men. Either Jokic and A Gordon of the Nuggets. Or Towns, Gobert and Naz Reid of Minnesota. That will be their first real test of the postseason. I expect them to fail at that test.

« Reply #7586 on: May 08, 2024, 07:57:22 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I was talking about FA guards Orlando might target next season and how most of the top talents are forwards which do not suit their roster so well.

I scrolled far enough down the FA list to finally arrive at Sam Hauser who somehow was listed #60 or so on Hoopshype in terms of free agents. Not ideal but better than overpaying someone like Klay Thompson. More of a SF than a SG. Lacks the handles & playmaking Orlando needs but does provide the shooting Orlando needs.

Hauser is definitely someone I would look at if I were Orlando.

« Reply #7587 on: May 08, 2024, 09:01:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560
OKC in 5
Minnesota sweep

Knicks in 7
Celtics in 5

I think people correctly identified two major weak points in OKC that will harm their post-season chances. (1) lack of playoff experience (2) lack of interior presence. Only one legit big in Chet and he is skinny and easy to push around.

However, the draw has been kind to OKC. They could have easily crashed in the first round if they had drawn the Lakers or someone like that. A team with experience and an interior presence.

Instead they got an injured New Orleans team and then in the 2nd round where always going to get a team in either PHX or DAL who had no interior presence.

So now they have a lucky draw all the way to the WCF where they will meet a team with strong big men. Either Jokic and A Gordon of the Nuggets. Or Towns, Gobert and Naz Reid of Minnesota. That will be their first real test of the postseason. I expect them to fail at that test.
plus Luka is banged up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7588 on: May 08, 2024, 09:10:45 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
I was talking about FA guards Orlando might target next season and how most of the top talents are forwards which do not suit their roster so well.

I scrolled far enough down the FA list to finally arrive at Sam Hauser who somehow was listed #60 or so on Hoopshype in terms of free agents. Not ideal but better than overpaying someone like Klay Thompson. More of a SF than a SG. Lacks the handles & playmaking Orlando needs but does provide the shooting Orlando needs.

The Celtics have a team option for Hauser at the minimum next year.  It’s very hard to imagine them declining that option.  About the only reason they would is if they know they have a new deal lined up.

« Reply #7589 on: May 08, 2024, 09:12:50 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

The Celtics have a team option for Hauser at the minimum next year.  It’s very hard to imagine them declining that option.  About the only reason they would is if they know they have a new deal lined up.

Ahh, my mistake. I did not notice that in the FA lists I was looking at. Not an option.