Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Magic (1-1) Game 3 5/8  (Read 152487 times)

Celtics (1-1) at Magic (1-1) Game 3 5/8
« on: May 07, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Boston Celtics (1-1,5-4)  at  Orlando Magic (1-1,5-3)Round 2, Game3
Postseason game 10 Road Game #4
Friday, May 8
7:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN
Pre/Post Game: CSN HD 7:00 PM ET, After the Game
Amway Arena   

Probable Starters
Point Guard - Rajon Rondo

Shooting Guard - Ray Allen

Small Forward  - Paul Pierce

Power Forward - Glen Davis 

Center -  Kendrick Perkins

Probable Starters
Point Guard - Anthony Johnson

Shooting Guard - JJ Reddick

Small Forward - Hedo Turkoglu   

Power Forward - Rashard Lewis

Center - Dwight Howard

Reserves
Stephon Marbury
Mikki Moore
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
JR Giddens
Brian Scalabrine
Tony Allen

Injured
Kevin Garnett (knee)  out
Leon Powe  (knee)  out

Reserves
Courtney Lee
Tony Battie
Marcin Gortat
Adonal Foyle
Jeremy Richardson
Anthony Johnson
Mickael Pietrus
Tyronn Lue

Injured
Jameer Nelson (labrum)  out
Courtney Lee  (fractured sinus)  probable

Suspended:  Rafer Alston

Key Matchups
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Anthony Johnson
The key matchup in this series remains at point guard.   As we have seen from the 2 games so far,  when Rondo is aggressive  and uses his speed,  the Celtics play well.  When Rondo is sluggish and tentative,  so are the Celtics.   Rondo must continue to set the tone and be aggressive on both ends of the floor.  With Rafer Alston serving his one game suspension for smacking Eddie House, I am guessing that they will start Anthony Johnson who will have great difficulty staying with Rondo and so it is even more important that Rondo takes the initiative to dominate this matchup.   

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard
Perk has played Howard very well in both games so far.  In game 2 he was even more aggressive in going at Howard and kept him from getting comfortable near the basket.  Perk held Howard to just 12 points on 5-13 shooting.   Perk must continue to avoid foul trouble as much as possible and to continue to play strong defense in single coverage on Howard for the Celtics to win this series.   

Honorable Mention
Every matchup continues to be important in this series

Paul Pierce vs Hedo Turkoglu 
vs
Paul Pierce spent most of game 2 sitting on the bench in foul trouble and should be well rested for this game as well as motivated to help his team get the win.   After Ray Allen sat out much of a game with foul trouble in Round 1, he came back the next game with 51 points.  The Captain really hasn't played well yet in these playoffs and it would be a great time for him to break out with a Paul Pierce-like game.

Ray Allen vs JJ Reddick
vs
The Magic expect Lee to return for this game  but he won't be starting.  Ray Allen got his bad shooting game out of the way in game 1 and came back with 22 points in game 2.   Ray will need to shoot well and to go at Lee, especially if he isn't 100% after the injury.  Lee may be covering Rondo when he is in, leaving either Johnson or Lue to cover Ray. 

Big Baby Davis vs Rashard Lewis
vs
Lewis wasn't a factor in game 2 because between Big Baby and Scal, they never let him get comfortable and he was forced to put up tough shots and settle for jumpers that just weren't falling.  A big key to winning game 3 will continue to be defending Lewis.   

Bench vs Bench
vs
After being ineffective for 6 games of the Bulls series, the Celtics bench is becoming a factor in this series.  Scal's defense on Lewis and ability to to spread the floor and Eddie's sharp shooting along with aggressiveness from Marbury has given the Celtics' bench an edge in the 2 games so far.  The Celtics need the bench to continue to contribute to allow the starters to get a rest.  My favorite line from my local paper's coverage of last night's game was that Doc sent Pierce in to give Eddie House a rest.  It would be nice to get a little something from Mikki Moore as well, but as long as Scal, House and Marbury continue to play this well, anything else would be icing on the cake. 

Keys to the Game
Energy and Aggressiveness - The Celtics came out flat in game 1 and found themselves in a 28 point hole an played from behind the whole game.  In Game 2, they came out with energy and were aggressive and never looked back.   The Celtics can't afford another game where they lack focus and come out flat.   They must come out with energy and hustly and be the aggressor from beginning to end. 

Go Inside
In both games, the team that took the ball to the basket and scored in the paint was the team that won.  The key for the Celtics in game 3 is to continue to go inside and get to the basket.  They must avoid settling for jumpers.  When they go to the basket, good things happen and they need to continue being aggressive in getting inside. 

Ball Movement
The Celtics have to continue to move the ball and find the open man.  When they make smart passes and keep the ball moving, it throws the Magic defense into disarray.  In game 2, the Celtics had 34 assists on 41 baskets and when they move the ball like that, they are very difficult to beat.   Hopefully they will remember this and not get stuck with too much dribbling and individual play in game 3.

Rebound
One of the biggest gauges of which team wants the game more is to look at the rebounding numbers.   Rebounding takes effort and desire and 9 times out of 10, the team that crashes the boards and hustle for rebounds will the the team that is playing harder.  The Celtics need to work on the offensive end to get themselves 2nd chance points and they must work on the defensive end to limit fast breaks and Magic put backs and baskets. 

Defense
Defense wins championships.  It is an old cliche, but a very true one.  The Celtics mounted their comeback in game 1 because they stepped up the defense.  They dominated game 2 because they got back to playing the kind of Celtics' defense that has made them successful.   They must continue to make team defense a priority. 

X-Factor
Focus on the Road
The Celtics lost home court advantage because of a lack of focus and energy in their first home game.   They must come out in this game with focus and with a purpose in order to get their home court advantage back.  They must keep their focus on defense and team play. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 05:30:52 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (1-1) at Magic (1-1) Game 3 5/8
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
First in: TP.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 01:24:50 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I know things may change if they suspend Alston or if Lee can't play.  But I wanted to get this up while I had the time.  I will make adjustments as needed.   

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I know things may change if they suspend Alston or if Lee can't play.  But I wanted to get this up while I had the time.  I will make adjustments as needed.   
We know you will.  Nice job.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP for you FL!

Lee will play tonight, Van Gundy has confirmed it, though he won't be a starter.

This game will be tough, I think the Celtics will come out focused, with energy, as they did in Chicago in game 3. I'm expecting a big game from Pierce and I hope Rondo will stay aggressive, because on his last road game he was a non factor.

I won't have the chance to watch the game live. Go Celtics, take the series lead and regain HCA!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
this is THE key game in the series...they must get game 3 or 4 but to me now is the time to strike...no alston..lee will be rusty and the magic will panic if things start to go bad..

lose this game it allthe pressure is on game 4..i would rather have a chance to go up 3-1 than tie up the series in #4

my biggest fear is that boston..esp perk will get into early foul trouble allowing orlando to make a run...that and PP must be a factor...

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
This game will be tough, I think the Celtics will come out focused, with energy, as they did in Chicago in game 3. I'm expecting a big game from Pierce and I hope Rondo will stay aggressive, because on his last road game he was a non factor.

Agree that it will be tough.  Orlando will want to make a statement.  The key will be Rondo -- if he is agressive, things should go well for the guys in green...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm confident in our boys.

Or is it just that I have no respect for Orlando's playoff makeup.

GO C's

Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Rondo will have a triple double tonight.
Pierce will have 25+
Perk will have 15+ rebounds.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Rondo will have a triple double tonight.
Pierce will have 25+
Perk will have 15+ rebounds.

If all that happens, we might be seeing some of this:

Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Anyone else find it funny that the Orlando Magic are making it seem like Courtney Lee coming back is like KG coming back?

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Anyone else find it funny that the Orlando Magic are making it seem like Courtney Lee coming back is like KG coming back?

So you're saying KG's back!  That's great news.  ;D

But yeh, the guy had a nice rookie year.  Is he the difference between a title or no title for Orlando?  Methinks not.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 02:40:59 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
must attack to start. as i said in another thread, making 3's up 5+ points is alot diffrent than making them down 5+.

If you can attack and get this orlando team in "come from behind" mode they fall in love with the 3 and shoot a lower percentage as they get more and more fustrated (like wen night)

But if you let them get out to a 6-8 point lead and gain confidance, all of the sudden those 3's are easier to shoot because the stakes for missing arent as high, and then they hit 2-3 in a row and are off to the races.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:23:15 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:26:59 PM »

Offline brodes

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1