Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Magic (1-1) Game 3 5/8  (Read 152487 times)

Re: Celtics (1-1) at Magic (1-1) Game 3 5/8
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 03:32:01 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
This game may be a lot harder than I would like to think.  My recurring thought is that they whipped Philadelphia without Howard.  Granted, Philly sucks, but still.

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Gotta watch this video one more time for Rafer "Skip to Game 4" Alston  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTHMiwog0gU

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
i agree, i really hope that the C's don't let up, thinking they are gonna coast without Skip.  scares me.

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
This game may be a lot harder than I would like to think.  My recurring thought is that they whipped Philadelphia without Howard.  Granted, Philly sucks, but still.

at the end of the year didn't we blow out Philly without Pierce, KG, Scal, and TA?

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
this will be the toughest game of the entire series.......perk must stay out of foul trouble...must....and we need to see vintage PP...this game worries me big time

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »

Offline Gators3in364

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
From an Orlando perspective the ONLY maybe good thing about no Alston is Lue's 'shoot-first' mentality.  The Celtics are playing Alston like he isn't even on the court in the first two games.  Lue likes to shoot (he usually misses), and will not pass up the open shots he gets like Alston.  If he can hit a few open jumpers the Celtics will have to change up their defensive sets, which could finally allow the Magic offense a little freedom. 

The return of Lee is huge for the Magic, assuming he can play effectively.  He is the only Magic player that drives to the basket consistently.  As you have seen, when Turk drives it's usually without much force.  Lewis barely drives more than a few dribbles, JJ shoots from outside, Alston misses layups, and MP has been timid driving to the basket since he hurt his wrist on a few hard falls earlier this season.  If Lee can drive to the basket instead of shooting 3s every time Perkins or Davis will move over letting Dwight roam free for offensive rebounds.  Further, the only Magic player that has a chance of staying in front of Rondo is Lee.  He is very quick and long enough to bother Rondo a little when he tries to pass the ball.  Of course he hasn't played in a week and might be horrible tonight, if he is, then forget this paragraph. 

Finally, the Magic 'feel' like they aren't getting the same calls as the Celtics, and the home court might give them more confidence to continue driving to the basket even if they are not getting the calls early.  With the Celtics on the road I look for the refs to call at least a couple hand checking fouls on Brian Scalabrine (he has been riding the Magic players on every drive and he never gets called for a foul), give Dwight a few more calls (he is being pushed in his waist on most of his hook shots and held by a help defender on his offensive rebound attemps), and for a few illegal screen calls on the Celtics (on every Celtic offensive set there are usually at least 2 illegal screens, some of them being extremely obvious).  If Orlando does not get some of the same ref home court cooking, it will probably not win this game.   

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
We need to defend the perimeter, Orlando lives and dies by the three. That and the bigs need to stay out of foul trouble. I think Ray is going to have a huge game.

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 06:31:51 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
A win would be nice  ;D

TP for the gamethread, FL.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 06:42:50 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
must attack to start. as i said in another thread, making 3's up 5+ points is alot diffrent than making them down 5+.

If you can attack and get this orlando team in "come from behind" mode they fall in love with the 3 and shoot a lower percentage as they get more and more fustrated (like wen night)

But if you let them get out to a 6-8 point lead and gain confidance, all of the sudden those 3's are easier to shoot because the stakes for missing arent as high, and then they hit 2-3 in a row and are off to the races.

TP for this observation -- it makes sense and appears accurate.  However, I am wondering whether the actual data supports your observation  -- do they actually shoot lower percentage and higher volume of threes when they are down 6 points or more? 

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 06:55:45 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
must attack to start. as i said in another thread, making 3's up 5+ points is alot diffrent than making them down 5+.

If you can attack and get this orlando team in "come from behind" mode they fall in love with the 3 and shoot a lower percentage as they get more and more fustrated (like wen night)

But if you let them get out to a 6-8 point lead and gain confidance, all of the sudden those 3's are easier to shoot because the stakes for missing arent as high, and then they hit 2-3 in a row and are off to the races.

TP for this observation -- it makes sense and appears accurate.  However, I am wondering whether the actual data supports your observation  -- do they actually shoot lower percentage and higher volume of threes when they are down 6 points or more? 

In game 2 they had about 40 points in the paint, 30 of those were in the 1st half. As the lead grew they continued to let it rain. Thats just last game though.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 06:56:57 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Lets attack the basket tonight gents! Make their defense work.

Go Celtics!!

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

Offline silverb

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 16
Game 3...Lets Go  :o

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Expecting a good contest with alot of interest and with the trolls out in force  ;)

TP for the thread, FL.  ;)

GOoooooooooo Celtics~
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
refs going to call this one close...be smart boston

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 07:09:37 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61
GO C's!!!

This would be a really good time to take back homecourt!