Author Topic: Rhythm, Flow, and Runs  (Read 1191 times)

Rhythm, Flow, and Runs
« on: September 20, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This is an opinion post. I have little stats that back this up.

Basically, I'd suggest that the reason the Celtics were not fun last year, and the reason for the young Cs lack of development, had to do with rhythm.

The best NBA teams have a certain chaotic flow and rhythm that is difficult to defend. The best NBA players facilitate that chaos. Steph Curry is probably the best in the NBA at this today, but it's what made Magic and Bird so special years ago. When they are on the court, teammates synced up with them. The offensive sets were not a grind. They flowed smoothly, not rigidly.

Last season, the Celtics didn't have that, like, at all. That's why they weren't fun to watch. They grinded (not a word, but you get what I mean) through their sets. Irving methodically picked apart defenses, but with very little team rhythm. I never had a feel as a fan for what Irving was going to do, which effects the anticipation of the crowd and eruption when success happens. Horford was methodical too. The offense ran through Horford and Irving effectively, but without chaotic energy, creative rhythm, or excitement.

This is one of the reasons the Cs were so much better a few years ago with Rozier as point guard. Rozier was not a better point guard per se. But Rozier does have a chaotic flow to his game. His energy and aggression creates the chaos. CBS has given him rhythm. (This is one reason why I'm not as down on Rozier as others. There's a chance he breaths youth, tempo, chaos, and excitement into Bridges, Monk, Washington, MKG, and Zeller)

If you want, you could go back further. That chaotic rhythm was what made the Cs so special with Thomas, Crowder, and Bradley. They synced up. They ran sets, but they also dipped into chaotic creativity. The team well out-played what everyone thought would happen.

I think this is why Brown and Tatum did not take a step forward last year. Both guys can run sets and score effectively in those sets, but both guys would work better (and have worked better) in a chaotic rhythm (most NBA players would). Brown especially, but Tatum too. If there is no rhythm to the offense, no juice, no dash of chaos, then Brown and Tatum will get points relatively efficiently, but not at the level you want for budding young stars.

For example the famous 19-0 by the Celtics against the Warriors started almost exactly when Irving left the game. Smart, Rozier, and Brown led a chaotic rhythm on offense and defense. The team and fans were locked in. Everyone felt that chaotic rhythm, and it led to a fun outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdEycexAGvc

I don't know if this makes sense, but this is one reason I think we will be better this year. I think Kemba and Kanter bring a bit of chaotic rhythm to the Cs offense this year. Both will play with more energy and tempo than Horford. Both will play with more team rhythm than Kyrie.

I think Brown and Tatum both blossom this year, but it will be in a bit of chaos, instead of the grind of Horford's and Irving's offense.

Getting excited for this team.

Re: Rhythm, Flow, and Runs
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 10:08:16 AM »

Offline Seymour scagnetti

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3
sounds chaotic.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 10:36:36 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I agree with the overall point of this post.  Also partly what "chemistry" means, as well as "fit.  It is all kind of parts of the same subject.  Teams never get to where the game becomes automatic, but as the OP calls it, they get into a rhythm where the players just instinctively know where the other players are and where they will be/what they are doing.  They get in sync.  Lets hope they get there.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Not seeing the chaotic thing...Brown had a nice stretch, but the Celtics will really miss the heady play of Horford on both ends and a healthy Baynes.

The Celtics will not flourish if Walker is trying to average his 25 points a game either. The key to this years team will be to create unselfish balance on the offensive end, having the proper mix of facilitators on the floor at the right time ie guy's that can pass the ball and find the best opportunity. And of coarse hide the loss of Horford on the defensive end, maybe by playing more zone.   

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 11:02:37 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Not seeing the chaotic thing...Brown had a nice stretch, but the Celtics will really miss the heady play of Horford on both ends and a healthy Baynes.

The Celtics will not flourish if Walker is trying to average his 25 points a game either. The key to this years team will be to create unselfish balance on the offensive end, having the proper mix of facilitators on the floor at the right time ie guy's that can pass the ball and find the best opportunity. And of coarse hide the loss of Horford on the defensive end, maybe by playing more zone.

Maybe interact more with my post? It seems like you are taking it a completely different direction by talking about playing zone and how Walker can't try to average 25?

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I also don't see the chaotic element, but agree with some of the observations.

Rozier succeeded because he ran hard in transition, and moved the ball if there wasn't a quality opening off the break. He got assists because pace and movement favored the other players style, particularly Brown and Tatum, who both found it easier to score off movement rather than iso moves.

Irving did not typically run in transition, and often preferred beating defenders off the dribble rather than through motion. It's not surprising that he tended to slip into this habit. He's often rightly referred to as having one of the greatest handles anyone has ever seen in the NBA, but it wasn't good for the team chemistry.

Its not that complicated. If this team runs in transition, and moves the ball in the half court, we will get the best out of the team's core strength, which is our wing players. No other team in the league has 3 wings this good.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
You had me until you used Terry Rozier as an example. 

TP anyway.