Author Topic: Celtics offered some of their best draft assets for Kawhi  (Read 7208 times)

Celtics offered some of their best draft assets for Kawhi
« on: July 24, 2018, 07:39:12 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
per Realgm wiretap.

Can't say I blame DA at all for trying. You can take some gambles with your draft picks when your sitting pretty with stud prospects like JB and JT.

Offer was probably Smart (S+T), Morris, 2019 Kings pick, Maybe Memphis pick too.

I think San Antonio made the right trade. The 2019 draft class doesn't look too stellar, and there's always a chance (even if slim) that the Kings pick doesn't convey.

Re: Celtics offered some of their best draft assets for Kawhi
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:52:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What does “most of their best draft picks” even mean?

I mean, we’ve got two potentially really good draft picks, Sacramento and Memphis. What does offering “most” of two assets mean?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I mean, we’ve got two potentially really good draft picks, Sacramento and Memphis. What does offering “most” of two assets mean?
"And by the way, as all the reporting from this sort of trickled in, I think the Celtics offered most of their best draft picks. I don't think the Celtics just offered (and said) 'You could have a bunch of our picks.' I think some of the picks they're owed, at least two of the picks, if not all of them that they own from other teams, including the Kings, Grizzlies and Clippers. I think those were all in the deal.”

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 11:44:01 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
If Ainge really wanted Kawhi, he could've turned the non-SAC draft assets alone into [insert comparable player to Derozan or unfulfilled/attractive prospect (Kemba, Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker, Wiggins (admittedly there aren't that many at the moment))] in a 3-4 team trade. There are several packages that  could be put together that rival the Derozan package using those picks, but it would've necessitated that 3rd team, which would've been complicated.

Kawhi or no Kawhi, this is a perrenial Championship contender and Danny is treating it as such. Of course we could've taken the same gamble that Toronto took, but unlike Kyrie, Kawhi's stated his intentions and if he leaves next off season was it worth it?

There's no need for a last hurrah move like trading 2-3 lottery picks and an important rotation player for a season rental because the ceiling of this team is multiple Championships.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 12:44:44 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

evidently more than one but less than two.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Did the Spurs actually take DeRozan, Poeltl, and a protected 1st over a defensive monster in Marcus Smart, a solid player in Marcus Morris, a lottery pick in Sacramento, and a Memphis pick?

I think Boston had the stronger offer than the Raptors.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 01:49:40 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Spurs wanted a proven 20 point scorer, not draft picks.

They weren't going full rebuild, they also want to win now

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 07:42:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Did the Spurs actually take DeRozan, Poeltl, and a protected 1st over a defensive monster in Marcus Smart, a solid player in Marcus Morris, a lottery pick in Sacramento, and a Memphis pick?

Apparently not.  To part with a top-5 player, SAS wanted an all-star in return along with picks and some youth.  Smart + Morris + picks wasn't going to get it done.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 07:58:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It isn't unreasonable.

DeRozan is a 4 time All-Star who has scored 20+ ppg for 5 years, and Poeltl is a solid big.

San Antonio really don't need another guard who can't shoot next to Murray, and with LMA, Gay and Bertans eating up most of the minutes at the 3/4 the minutes for Morris wouldn't be too high. For the limited amount of time Pop has left in him they likely want to stay as a potential threat
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 08:09:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It isn't unreasonable.

DeRozan is a 4 time All-Star who has scored 20+ ppg for 5 years, and Poeltl is a solid big.

San Antonio really don't need another guard who can't shoot next to Murray, and with LMA, Gay and Bertans eating up most of the minutes at the 3/4 the minutes for Morris wouldn't be too high. For the limited amount of time Pop has left in him they likely want to stay as a potential threat
Plus there was no way they were going to be able to tank themselves with the contracts/players they have locked up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

This is the problem.  Pop probably only has a few years of coaching left.  By appeasing him to be a mediocre team now it will hinder their future.  You will not always find a Kawhi that late in the draft.  They are a fringe playoff team with Derozan.  Why not rebuild for a few years while the big players in the west get older.  Makes no sense to me.  What if having those draft assets turned into a superstar player down later in the season where they could flip those picks.  Derozan just doesn't do it for me.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

They aren't going to win now with the Warriors continually building a superteam, and another superteam is slowing forming in Los Angeles. The West is too competitive.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
San Antonio was 47-35 last year and added DeRozan, Poetlt, Belinell and Cunningham while losing Parker and Green. I am not counting Kawhi since he pretty much no showed last season. I could see San Antonio becoming a 50+ win team again. 4-6 seed.

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

This is the problem.  Pop probably only has a few years of coaching left.  By appeasing him to be a mediocre team now it will hinder their future.  You will not always find a Kawhi that late in the draft.  They are a fringe playoff team with Derozan.  Why not rebuild for a few years while the big players in the west get older.  Makes no sense to me.  What if having those draft assets turned into a superstar player down later in the season where they could flip those picks.  Derozan just doesn't do it for me.

They may think Derozan can improve significantly under Pop, and that part of Leonard's success was due to Pop and the Spurs system. If so, who are we to argue? We believe the same thing regarding IT and many other Celtics under Stevens.