Author Topic: Stoudemire close to being a Cavalier!!  (Read 20162 times)

Re: Stoudemire close to being a Cavalier!!
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
If Cleveland get Amare, the Cavs are winning the Championship.

Maybe. Is he a good fit for them? His defense isn't that great and he isn't at his best either playing in a half court game or playing with Shaq. Not every trade meshes and some don't mesh the first year (or half year).
Amare and Varejao will be a terrific big man combination.

too bad for the cavs, they should have gone after Jamison instead, he would have been a much better fit for them.

Maybe they are going after him, at least this is what Ric Bucher claims :

A Phoenix source refuted reports, fueled by Cavs' sources, that Cleveland has made an offer for Amare Stoudemire and is awaiting the Suns' yes-or-no answer. So why would the Cavs want that out there? Why would they even be considering Stoudemire, since he doesn't fit their overall profile, nor is he the best fit as the "stretch 4" they believe they need. One league source posited a sensible explanation: because this is merely saber-rattling to get the Wizards to deal them the guy they really want, Antawn Jamison. So far, Washington has been looking around for a better deal, although a concrete one has not materialized. The dalliance with Stoudemire is Cleveland's way of saying, 'Don't take us for granted. We may not be here when you get back to us.'

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Maybe. Is he a good fit for them? His defense isn't that great and he isn't at his best either playing in a half court game or playing with Shaq. Not every trade meshes and some don't mesh the first year (or half year).

I think Amare works better with a big who will pull a defender out of the paint. I think they'll just combine to make it harder for LeBron to get into the lane.

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
If it does happen, I think we can expect an overflow of Lebron to Amare alleyoops

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2010, 06:22:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

I think Amare works better with a big who will pull a defender out of the paint. I think they'll just combine to make it harder for LeBron to get into the lane.
Harder for LeBron than with Shaq + Hickson? or Varejao + Big Z?

I don't think so ... I think the paint will be more open than ever before for LeBron.

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

I don't think so ... I think the paint will be more open than ever before for LeBron.

Varejao and Big Z actually pull defenders out of the paint.

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2010, 07:03:22 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Oh god. Hopefully he'll fall in love with his jumper in Cleveland like he has in Phoenix.

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2010, 07:17:57 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I hope they get Amare. He is the ultimate underachiever. Plays no defense, scared to rebound, and takes too many jumpers. Cavs would be better suited getting Antwan Jamison, at least he plays with heart and competes every-game.

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

The Cavs score more per minute with LeBron and Z or Varejao than they do with James and Shaq or Hickson by 10%+.

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

The Cavs score more per minute with LeBron and Z or Varejao than they do with James and Shaq or Hickson by 10%+.
I'm sorry, I'm not following. I don't know what you mean by that statistic/sentence.

(1) That Varejao + Z is better than Shaq + Hickson for the Cavs offense?

(2) That Shaq + Hickson is like Amare + Varejao. And that Varejao + Ilgauskas is better than Amare + Varejao, and, better for the Cavs offense?

(3) That LeBron is a power forward alongside one big is how Cleveland should play? And that he's best alongside Varejao or Ilguaskas?

(4) Are those numbers about two players only? A duo? How LeBron plays with one big with no specifics on who else is the court with him? LeBron + Varejao, LeBron + Ilgauksas, LeBron + Shaq, LeBron + Hickson? And, if so, how does relate to Amare?

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think Jamison is a better fit than Amare for Cleveland.  Maybe Amare makes more sense beyond this season but I think from a chemistry standpoint Jamison is a better fit for the Cavs this year.

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2010, 09:18:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think Jamison is a better fit than Amare for Cleveland.  Maybe Amare makes more sense beyond this season but I think from a chemistry standpoint Jamison is a better fit for the Cavs this year.

I disagree.

Amare would create major issues for Orlando.  Lewis covering him over a 7 game series.  That's tough.  It would force Orlando to play big, which plays into Clevelands strengths.  Jamison would play into Orlando's strengths. 

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Is it wrong of me as a Celtics fan to like this trade just because it reduces the chances of the Lakers winning another title?

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Is it wrong of me as a Celtics fan to like this trade just because it reduces the chances of the Lakers winning another title?

Not so much, since it doesn't look like it's going to be the thing that prevents us from winning one.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2010, 09:55:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

A depressing but familiar moment is emerging -- when the NBA season becomes about someone beating the Lakers rather than winning a championship.

If you are wrong -- you've got company.

« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

Not so much, since it doesn't look like it's going to be the thing that prevents us from winning one.
It actually could though.  If Kobe stays injured we would be anyone out West.  I think if we're healthy we can still beat Atlanta or Orlando.  Cleveland would be our only obstacle.  And we beat them in game 1 this year, before our injuries, so even with our recent troubles everything could still come together by the end of the year.  Cleveland only won 45 games when they took us to 7 in 2008, showing you don't need a great regular season to succeed in the playoffs.

But if they get Amare they would be much tougher to beat.