Author Topic: portland/boston  (Read 7788 times)

portland/boston
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
in my never ending quest to resurect c fryes career i propose this trade.
brian "intangibles" scalabrine for channing "under preformer" frye

the blazers could use a glue guy like scals coming of the bench.
the c's should be looking for a young PF with height who they can develop behind KG.

don't get me wrong, i love leon, but he is not a great fit next to perk. since KG will eventually retire i think the c's need to find a PF who fits next to perk in the paint.

BBD and Paddy O are expendable.

Re: portland/boston
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:55:20 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I don't think we need under-performers and as good as Frye looked in his first year, he is exactly that. Not really sure if he helps us. Would rather keep Scal or move him for someone else. And I don't think we should be worried about Power next to Perk since we don't see them on the floor together that often anyway.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:56:45 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
In a heartbeat and I'd use our second rounder this year if needed. They could also get O'Bryant if they want as well.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
powe is awesome and a bargain.  we can't do better than him right now.  He plays well with perk.  He also plays great with KG and he even manages to play well with big baby runnin around.  What we really need is a backup for Pierce, a backup who could defend lebron James like posey or matt barnes....  we also need a backup center...  we don't need a PF, we allready have 4!  kg, powe, baby, scal   enough.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I don't think we need under-performers and as good as Frye looked in his first year, he is exactly that. Not really sure if he helps us. Would rather keep Scal or move him for someone else. And I don't think we should be worried about Power next to Perk since we don't see them on the floor together that often anyway.

thing is as long as KG's here we will be drafting low.

if we want to stay competitive after the KG era we will need to find quality players at the end of other teams benches.

since Frye is a FA after this year now would be a great time to give him a shot, since portland does not utilize him we may be able to snatch him up cheap.

if he buys in we can resign and develop him behind KG. years from now he could step into the starting role next to perk. if he proves a bust he's gone at the end of the year and we continue looking.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Frye is what PJ Brown would be if he was a woman. Garnett would make him cry every practice. We already have POB. Pass on Frye, bring back PJ.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 01:16:50 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
powe is awesome and a bargain.  we can't do better than him right now.  He plays well with perk.  He also plays great with KG and he even manages to play well with big baby runnin around.  What we really need is a backup for Pierce, a backup who could defend lebron James like posey or matt barnes....  we also need a backup center...  we don't need a PF, we allready have 4!  kg, powe, baby, scal   enough.

powes a keeper, baby, scall, and POB are expendable. i'd rather not go into the post season with only two legitimate 6'10" +  players (and no quality height on the bench).

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:31:49 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
BBD is better than Frye, who is a marshmallow.

Sure, BBD is expendible (every player is), but only for the right price.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 03:21:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

powes a keeper, baby, scall, and POB are expendable. i'd rather not go into the post season with only two legitimate 6'10" +  players (and no quality height on the bench).

I agree, but I don't think Frye solves the need.  He is way too weak and soft to bang inside.  Powe and Davis have done a great job against taller and weaker players this year.  Where they have trouble is against guys who are taller, and also stronger than them (like Pryzbilla).  Channing Frye would not do anything to fix that problem, and may actually be worse than Davis, since he won't be able to keep guys like that out of the post.

I would MUCH rather go after Joe Smith, who may not be quite as tall, but is longer than the guys we have, and is a very good defender and shooter.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
there are a few older vets like joe smith or pj whom i'd like to see in celtics green, however the goal of the proposed trade was to pick up young talent who we can groom for the post KG era.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 04:26:08 PM »

Offline Newguy

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 13
Where's Jerome Moiso (6'10", 260lbs) when you need him?  joking...

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 04:49:46 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I like the idea of stocking up on young bigs.  O'Bryant was  a start.  But I'd also try to acquire a player like Aaron Gray, Kyrolo Fesenko, Cheick Samb or JaVale McGee.  All of those guys have more upside than Frye.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
there are a few older vets like joe smith or pj whom i'd like to see in celtics green, however the goal of the proposed trade was to pick up young talent who we can groom for the post KG era.

Fair enough, but in the process, it would hurt their chances of winning this year...and I don't think Frye is worth that.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 05:18:02 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Fair enough, but in the process, it would hurt their chances of winning this year...and I don't think Frye is worth that.

scal for frye hurts our chances of winning this year?
...scal? ...?

;D

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 05:42:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

yes, whos your 3 at that point? an untested bill walker?

people may not like it (me included) but we are starved for depth at SF. thats why scal is getting playing time right now.

scal for frye hurts our chances of winning this year?
...scal? ...?

;D

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion