Author Topic: Opportunity & neccessity trade  (Read 2588 times)

Opportunity & neccessity trade
« on: November 27, 2008, 07:42:33 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think that it really messed with our lineup that the Hornets nabbed James Posey from us. That being said, James really hasn't fit in New Orleans all that well because the only opening for him with the starters is at the 2, as Peja, West and Chandler are almost always pencilled in for the end of games.

The Hornets ahve two real needs right now 1. shooting guard and 2. back up point guard. We need a three with some size who has some offensive game. They are stuck with Posey, and have been trying to find time for Julian Wright.

Why not offer them Gabe, Giddens and maybe a future second rounder for Wright? I think that the kid would be a good fit here. He's 6'8" with really long arms and good athelticism. He is a Jayhawk, which means that he is well schooled in the game and Pierce would probably make him his protege. The salaries work out, and I really think that Gabe would be an excellent fit in New Orleans.

It would be a good move for us, they question is would the Hornets go for it? It isn't as if this trade would be bad for them. They have no real use for a quality player, and I think that Wright would be able to play the 4 in a small, fast lineup, and the three normally. He can shoot the rock too and is a good defender. Maybe we could come to some other arrangement, but Wright would be an excellent piece for us, IMO. The Hornets backed themselves into a corner, let's take advantage of that.

Re: Opportunity & neccessity trade
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I would do this in a heartbeat but I don't see the Hornets giving him up.  Wright is a very talented player who is just waiting his turn.  I don't think the Hornets are down on him.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
I don't think that they are down on him either. The problem is that they have Peja for three years and Posey for four, and each of those guy's primary position is the 3... which is also Julian's. They have no real use for the kid. Sad for the, sad for him, but maybe good for us.

The first thing that I thought after the Hornets signed James wasn't "Man, this sucks for us", it was "They already have Julian Wright." Then I said the first thing. I still don't understand why they signed James, but they are stuck with him now, and that means that Wright cannot play his natural position. We sure could use him there, though. I'd love to have him here.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
If Danny could do it, they might have to give him executive of the year again.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 08:28:28 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
I think that it would be a long shot to pull off, but not impossible. Wright would fit very well here, and I think Gabe would do wonders for them. The Hornets are in dire need of a combo guard who can spell Paul for stretches. If Danny could get a trade like this done, you could pencil us in for another Title. That is how well I think that this kid would fit in here, yuet he's stuck behind two long term contracts. The way that the New Orleans front office mismanaged their team is tragic.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 08:59:11 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
When I first thought of this trade, I actually included BBD. To get it done we might have to include him in it. I know that people wou;d not be very happy about this, but the reality of the situation is that:

1. We REALLY need a backup 3.

2. We already have POB

3. This is the last year for Leon AND BBD on their rookie deals

4. Wright has another year on his rookie deal

Is POB an ideal backup center? Nope, but he would probably be serviceable. There is always the hope that another vet big who got bought out would come here for peanuts a la P.J. Brown. Davis would play for the Hornets, and he is a local boy too, which would be good for their PR (not to mention his personality). At worst we would just play more small ball, and there is always the possibility that O'Bryant actually holds his own against opposing second units. Cliff Ray is working with him, and Cliff is a miracle worker.

Such a trade would be realistic, IMO. More so than the one I already laid out, and would make long trem financial sense for us as well. Wright is a player, and a worthwhile one to go after. He is a defense first kind of guy too, and was so in college, but he has offensive skills. It would be worth thinking about.

Both trade ideas checked out, so the money works.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Tp for the thread. I like the creativity of the trade. I'd rather wait till Dec. 15th and trade Gabe And Patty O.

The 1 thing is I don't know how much run he'd really get with Doc. It would all depend on how fast he picked up the Defensive concept.

He's played 98 minutes this year. Less than Scal has.

From what I have seen of him. I really like his game.

Just goes to show you how much experience means. Why would they sign James, Already having Julian. Experience.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »

Offline rondilla

• Oshae Brissett
The flaw in their thinking was in where they would actually use James. Posy was our back up three and quite often our four down the stretch run of games - which is where his value was the greatest. They can't use him like that, so they try to slot him at the 2, and that has not worked out for them. Posey is getting smoked out there by smaller,quicker guys. his ability to guard mobile 4's and to force other teams to go small due to his 3 point shooting is utterly wasted in New Orleans. If they had realistically thought about these things, they never would have signed him.

That is why I'm bringing this idea up. It is an intriguing idea, and quite possibly a workable one. The Hornets shot themselves in the foot by doing what they did, but maybe we could take advantage of that by filling the hole left by James' departure with a talented young player. One who is much cheaper to boot. It isn't as if the package we could offer would be a bad one. They could really use Gabe and BBD. Those two would fit in well there. Wright would be a very nice fit here.

When Wright played last year he did very well. When he has played this season he has done well, it is just hard for him to get minutes with Posey taking his spot. He has to play the 4, and actually has been OK there, which furthers my plans for him here. It isn't as if we would be bringing him in to start. He would have the great advantage of learning from Paul and Ray, and is a defensively oriented player.

The few times I actually got to see him play last season, I was impressed. The Hornets got all caught up in the "We want to have a guy with Championship experience here". Let's go get this kid, and then he'll have it too. Meanwhile the Hornets can say to themslves that they are getting two more players from our team. Two more rings for their collection.

P.S. The kid is a really exciting player to watch. The fans here would love him. He's no basketball idiot, though.