Author Topic: Trade ideas for Boston 1...pick one  (Read 5601 times)

Trade ideas for Boston 1...pick one
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:02:29 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
NJ trades Sean Williams/Keyon Dooling to Boston for Scal, Pat0, and draft pick...

GS trades Marcus Williams to Boston for BBD and cash

LAL trades Chris Mihm/Ariza to Boston for Tony Allen/Scalabrine

OKC trades Joe Smith/Damien Wilkins to Boston for Scalabrine/BBD/Pruitt and other half of MLE

OKC trades Joe Smith/Earl Watson/Wilkins/Steven Hill to Boston for Perkins/Scalabrine/Pat0/Pruitt/other half of MLE

SAC trades Sheldon Williams to Boston for Scalabrine

NO trades Melvin Ely/Rasual Butler for gabe/Scalabrine/half MLE

CHA trades Felton/Morrison to Boston for Pruitt/Scal/half MLE/BBD/draft picks

IND trades Eddie Jones/Roy Hibbert to Boston for Scal/draft picks/BBD

NY waives Marbury and Boston signs him after trading pruitt/scal/bbd for joe smith/wilkins...*

*This last trade and the 2nd OKC trade are my favs and make the most sense.
Joe Smith and co aren't getting good minutes and/or want to be traded to a winning team. We basically trade 3 Celts in the same positions plus some money and draft picks if wanted. Our team then would be solid IMO.

Rondo/Marbury/Cassell
Ray/Tony/House         Giddens
Pierce/Wilkins         BWalker
KG/Joe Smith/Powe
Perk/Pat0
Can't stop, Rondo!

Re: Trade ideas for Boston 1...pick one
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:20:15 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Marbury would be okay but I don't like how you throw Big Baby in so many of these deals like he's someone we should give away like Scal or Pruitt, once he gets that j on track he's going to prove to be very useful. Felton and Morrison, I'd be all over that one, but then Sam would have to go or we'd have another Scal-like contract on our hands.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 06:11:56 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Marbury would be okay but I don't like how you throw Big Baby in so many of these deals like he's someone we should give away like Scal or Pruitt, once he gets that j on track he's going to prove to be very useful. Felton and Morrison, I'd be all over that one, but then Sam would have to go or we'd have another Scal-like contract on our hands.

well, not many people are going to trade for scal or pruitt, and leon and baby are our only real "prospects"

I think leon is way more useful and farther along in his development, so i wouldn't be opposed to baby going.

As to the trades, i guess i pick jones and hibbert. I can't endorse anything that brings a cancer like marbury within 500 Ft of this team.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 06:15:29 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
NJ trades Sean Williams/Keyon Dooling to Boston for Scal, Pat0, and draft pick... - Wont happen because the value Sean Williams too high. Not entirely sure I'd want a headcase playing for us anyway.

GS trades Marcus Williams to Boston for BBD and cash - Don't want Williams, plus this would never happen.

LAL trades Chris Mihm/Ariza to Boston for Tony Allen/Scalabrine - I'd say no thanks to this and slap Kupcake in the face if he offered it to me.

OKC trades Joe Smith/Damien Wilkins to Boston for Scalabrine/BBD/Pruitt and other half of MLE - Love this one.

OKC trades Joe Smith/Earl Watson/Wilkins/Steven Hill to Boston for Perkins/Scalabrine/Pat0/Pruitt/other half of MLE - Wouldn't want to see any of the starters moved.

SAC trades Sheldon Williams to Boston for Scalabrine - Could get better for Scal's contract.

NO trades Melvin Ely/Rasual Butler for gabe/Scalabrine/half MLE - Mevlin Ely and Rasual Butler?

CHA trades Felton/Morrison to Boston for Pruitt/Scal/half MLE/BBD/draft picks - Definitely wouldn't happen. Silly trade for Charlotte.

IND trades Eddie Jones/Roy Hibbert to Boston for Scal/draft picks/BBD - See Charlotte.

NY waives Marbury and Boston signs him after trading pruitt/scal/bbd for joe smith/wilkins...* - Meh, Marbury is a headcase, really unsure about him.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
LAL trades Chris Mihm/Ariza to Boston for Tony Allen/Scalabrine - I'd say no thanks to this and slap Kupcake in the face if he offered it to me.

Have you seen Ariza play this year?  He has improved remarkably; you notice him every time he's on the now.  I agree that Allen has looked very good too, but this is in no way a "face slapper".
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 10:37:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just to clarify something, no portion of the MLE (or LLE for that matter) can be traded.  Those can only be used to sign free agents.  So while Smith and Wilkins would be the perfect pickups for this team, we simply do not have the salaries to match up with them.

I would recommend using the tradechecker http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/1/

or trade machine
http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/trades/trademachine

To check any trades to see if they work under the CBA.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 04:33:14 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
Thanks for the TRADE MACHINE tip...I used it and adjusted the JoeSmith/Wilkins trade and included Petro in exchange for Perkins.

Don't get me wrong, b/c I love Perk's game, but we can't keep our entire starting 5 out of reach if we want to upgrade the team. I think our team is good as is, but the current roster forces starting 5 to play too many minutes.

What are the rules for "sign and trades"? Could we sign and trade someone to OKC to make salaries match so we can get Joe/Wilkens?

Also, the Charlotte trade made sense b/c Jordan has been noted for wanting to trade Morrison as well as liking Augustine over Felton. My trade gives their team an experienced SF in Scal, great locker room guy, as well as a good backup PG in the works with Pruitt. Once again, we would have to make some kind of sign and trade to make the salaries work...

I did find was OKC had trade exceptions from Wally and Delonte that we could use. Delonte trade exception plus Wilkins for Scal and BBD. Works for both sides. OR Joe Smith for Scal and Pruitt, which frees up a spot for Marbury. As for Cassell, I dont mind buying him out and letting him go straight into coaching for us.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 04:41:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Thanks for the TRADE MACHINE tip...I used it and adjusted the JoeSmith/Wilkins trade and included Petro in exchange for Perkins.

Don't get me wrong, b/c I love Perk's game, but we can't keep our entire starting 5 out of reach if we want to upgrade the team. I think our team is good as is, but the current roster forces starting 5 to play too many minutes.

Paul  Pierce (#28) is the only player we have in the top 50 in minutes per game.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 05:06:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

What are the rules for "sign and trades"? Could we sign and trade someone to OKC to make salaries match so we can get Joe/Wilkens?

Also, the Charlotte trade made sense b/c Jordan has been noted for wanting to trade Morrison as well as liking Augustine over Felton. My trade gives their team an experienced SF in Scal, great locker room guy, as well as a good backup PG in the works with Pruitt. Once again, we would have to make some kind of sign and trade to make the salaries work...

I did find was OKC had trade exceptions from Wally and Delonte that we could use. Delonte trade exception plus Wilkins for Scal and BBD. Works for both sides. OR Joe Smith for Scal and Pruitt, which frees up a spot for Marbury. As for Cassell, I dont mind buying him out and letting him go straight into coaching for us.

Well first of all, I disagree about trading Perk.  He is one of the biggest bargains in the NBA, and is absolutely crucial to our team defense.  I don't think the upgrade to our bench that Smith and Wilkins would bring would offset the downgrade from Perk to Petro (who really should not be playing NBA minutes right now).  I still think this is the team we should be targeting for a trade partner, but we are going to have to get creative.  Not to mention, I think the conversation needs to start with Tony Allen, since they had interest in him in the offseason, and he fills a need at SG.

The problem with the Charlotte trade is that you are vastly underrating the value of Felton.  Its true that Jordan is not that high on him, but as a 24 year old PG who has averaged 13.4 points and 6.6 assists over his short career, they need to get much more value than BBD and Pruitt.  Perhaps we could entice them with draft picks...but we don't have much to trade.  All we have are second rounders, and a first rounder in 2011.  I have a feeling other teams would offer more.  There also may be some base year compensation issues.

Technically, I believe we could sign and trade a player, although it would have to be someone like PJ Brown, who has not signed with another team.  And I believe we couldn't sign him for more than 125% (or something like that) of his salary last year, which would not help out much (and I doubt he would agree to it).

The trades of Scal and BBD or Pruitt for Wilkins or Smith are a lot more along the lines of what we would be looking at.  They may not be as fun as the bigger trades, but they are much more realistic.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
My vote:

OKC trades Joe Smith/Damien Wilkins to Boston for Scalabrine/BBD/Pruitt and other half of MLE
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think it's too early in the game to be thinking about trades.   A little further development in young players between now and the trade deadline could increase their value.  For example if Pruitt actually gets some solid rotation minutes between now and then and plays really well it go a long way in pursuing a trade.   Also we don't know what buyouts now will occur so maybe you trade a player for a draft pick to open up a roster spot.   I think we should wait until about mid January when trade rumors and potential buyouts heat up. 

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 08:10:35 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Let's see-
Th team just won the title and is actually playing slightly better this year than last. So we should go out and get some other team's scrubs or ****s?
No thanks. This team has a great bench.
 But I would trade Pruitt while he may still have some value(if he does), because he hasn't shown me anything at all in his few opportunities, not that I've never been wrong or anything.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
December 15...Trade Tony Allen, BBD, Scalabrine and 2nd rounder(if needed) to OKC for Joe Smith and Wilkins...

Salaries match, and it fills the void for both teams.
OKC wanted Allen anyway, and they aren't giving solid minutes to Wilkins, and Joe needs to be on a championship team, versus a rebuilding Rookie squad.
Scalabrine has the expiring contract for next year, and BBD give thems a talent in the works at PF.

Losing Tony Allen would only mean more minutes for House at his better position(SG) and Wilkins can pick up the slack at SF. Joe Smith brings us a good rebounder/defender/ and scorer for our bench.
In this trade we do keep Pruitt, b/c he does deserve more time before giving up, plus we have Cassell for playoff time. OR, we can pick up Marbury with the open roster spot made in my trade. If we needed, and assuming Marbury came here, then we could look into trading Pruitt somewhere for a cheap bigman, like Chris Anderson/Cheik Samb, or DJ Mbenga??

Rondo  -  Marbury/Cassell/Pruitt
Ray    -  House
Pierce -  Wilkins
KG     -  Joe Smith/Powe
Perkins-  Pat0
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Just do nothing and win another title. 

The bench is playing well, and you won't get much for Pruitt, O'Bryant or the two D-leaguers. So what's the point?

This team has no need for the Joe Smiths and Stephon Marburys of the world-- or for punks like Marcus Williams, Matt Barnes or Trevor Ariza. Yet the same names keep coming up.  Why? There is a reason why these guys keep going from team to team.

The Celtics don't need more "veteran help" to win a title.  If they did, Cassell might be suiting up-- but he isn't. They're 14-2 for goodness sakes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The real issues are resigning for the long term the guys they have:  Rondo, Powe and Davis.  Then they have to figure out what to do with Ray Allen.  But that decision can be deferred until the Feb., 2010 trading deadline at the soonest.

Meanwhile, we can watch with amusement as teams like the Knicks and Clippers reshuffle the same old knuckleheads who will never win a thing.

If Marcus Camby negotiates a buyout with the Clips and wants to come to Boston to get his ring, I would consider adding him to the roster. Otherwise, I would do absolutely nothing.

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
My vote:

I agree, this is the best of the bunch, but OKC could probably get a more promising young player than BBD or Pruitt for a useful vet like Joe Smith.

Under no circumstances should we trade a starter or TA. I don't even love TA, but since we didn't resign Posey, he is a necessity.

I'm with Brickowski...let's stand pat. If we can get POB to be useful by the trade deadline, I'd move Big Baby for a decent pick, just because I think BBD is going to be too expensive to resign, and if I'm not mistaken he and Powe are both up after this year (is that right?). I'd rather keep Powe and get something for BBD.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.