Author Topic: The all-purpose "feel good" / pep rally / "optimism only" thread  (Read 608042 times)

Re: The all-purpose "feel good" / pep rally / "optimism only" thread
« Reply #915 on: June 18, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I can't help but think, reading all the doom and gloom around here, that a lot of people have lost sight of a simple truth in the NBA: you can do almost everything right, and still not win. You can make unbelievably smart personnel decisions and lose your best players.

The fact is, failure is a lot more common than success, at least as we measure it around here (i.e. rings).

The league is absolutely littered with examples:

The OKC/SEA teams that had Westbrook, Durant and Harden

The Indiana teams with George, West and others: 3 ECF trips in a row, but couldn't get over the top

Houston, which has been right there for several years but seems on the verge of imploding

The Clippers with their Lob City teams, who just couldn't stay healthy

Phoenix with the Nash/Nowitzki duo, who came so close all those times.

Heck, even the 76ers Process has more misses than hits (Fultz, Okafor, Noel, etc.)

The Blazers...the Jazz...the Kings...

I mean you can go on and on.

So, here we are. We had a great assemblage of assets and talent, and we all thought we were going to make a real run. We didn't, due to the type of bad luck with injuries, personalities and players leaving that hits every other franchise in the league.

So...what do you want to do? Call us a terribly-run franchise? Criticize the coach and/or GM? Become convinced that we will be terrible for the next decade?

Or do you want to be realistic, see these bad breaks as the kind of thing that happen to even the best-run franchises, and hope for good things going forward?

« Reply #916 on: June 19, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm excited about this offseason. Now that Horford is probably out,  we have a chance to add a young pg, pf, and center to go with our young core. It can be the perfect Steven's team. 

The team can hopefully stay together for a long time and win several championships.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #917 on: June 19, 2019, 02:06:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm thankful that the lottery odds have been flattened, meaning the Celts will have a decent chance to rise in the lottery the next couple of years even if they're not among the very worst teams in the league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #918 on: June 19, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I can't help but think, reading all the doom and gloom around here, that a lot of people have lost sight of a simple truth in the NBA: you can do almost everything right, and still not win. You can make unbelievably smart personnel decisions and lose your best players.

And in the lakers case, you can do almost everything wrong and still win (in free agency).  That these things are happening in the same week make this harder to accept.

« Reply #919 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Looking forward to the draft. Hope we keep all the picks and find a gem or 2!

« Reply #920 on: June 19, 2019, 02:37:04 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Sounds like teams at the top of the draft are asking about Brown's availability

« Reply #921 on: June 19, 2019, 02:52:40 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm only upset at Horford leaving out of everything.

Let's count ourselves lucky that we have talents like Tatum and Brown remaining on the team. Personally I can't wait to see what they can do now that they're going to be the primary guys. I believe that we will find that Tatum and Brown's lack of progress last year was an anomaly due to poor team chemistry.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:58:16 PM by CF033 »

« Reply #922 on: June 19, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I would only trade him for Zion.

« Reply #923 on: June 19, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'm usually pretty pessimistic, but I feel OK after everything that has happened.  Of all the teams that could take a hit like this, we are one of the best prepared.  We still have two potential stars in Tatum and Brown.  I think Hayward can improve and Smart is the type of player that fits in and makes any time better.  And we've got the Memphis pick (as well as the others) to draft someone or make something happen.

Losing Horford hurts, but I don't think he's worth the money that the rumors say he is asking.  He would have helped us this year, but obviously he's on the tail end of his career.  Hopefully, we can use the picks to replace him with someone that can help us long term.

As for Kyrie, I think it's best that he's gone.  No, this isn't sour grapes.  It became obvious this year that him and Tatum just won't work. Had we been able to pair Irving with AD, I would feel differently, but that ship has sailed.  And I have no ill will at all toward Irving.  But I do think Brooklyn will have it's hands full.

Yes, we need to make some more moves, but I do think this team is still on a track forward.

« Reply #924 on: June 20, 2019, 04:16:24 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
There's too much nervous energy.

The core of this team is intact. We only need 2-3 guys that will play serious minutes. Albeit talented contributors, but only a couple.

PG: X
SG: Jaylen Brown
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Jayson Tatum
C: X

Bench: Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, X, X, X

Key points:

-PG is the most loaded position in the NBA. There will be PG's available when Danny wants to trade and/or purchase outright. At the deadline, more PG's will be available. There are a couple interesting PG's later in the draft including Carsen Edwards and Jordan Bone to fill in a bench spot.

-The Center position pool is improving. There are a couple bigs available tonight for the C's including Hayes, Kabengele, Goga, and Fernando. I can't remember a year where guys like Bol Bol and Tacko Fall are after thoughts.

-The league is looking for versatility. Danny has already completed his campaign of finding a bunch of 6'7 guys. The Jays, Gordon, and Smart can cover multiple positions.

I think the Celtics will pickup a veteran PG that facilitates a quick motion offense. I can see them taking multiple shots tonight at a big man in the draft.

My picks: Draft Goga at #14, trade 20 for a future first and a second rounder (Carsen Edwards), and trade #22 for a future 1st. Continue to accumulate assets so that Danny can make a meaningful trade proposal.

« Reply #925 on: July 02, 2019, 12:55:24 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

The core of this team is intact. We only need 2-3 guys that will play serious minutes. Albeit talented contributors, but only a couple.

Key points:

-PG is the most loaded position in the NBA. There will be PG's available when Danny wants to trade and/or purchase outright. At the deadline, more PG's will be available. There are a couple interesting PG's later in the draft including Carsen Edwards and Jordan Bone to fill in a bench spot.

-The Center position pool is improving. There are a couple bigs available tonight for the C's including Hayes, Kabengele, Goga, and Fernando. I can't remember a year where guys like Bol Bol and Tacko Fall are after thoughts.

-The league is looking for versatility. Danny has already completed his campaign of finding a bunch of 6'7 guys. The Jays, Gordon, and Smart can cover multiple positions.

I think the Celtics will pickup a veteran PG that facilitates a quick motion offense. I can see them taking multiple shots tonight at a big man in the draft.

My picks: Draft Goga at #14, trade 20 for a future first and a second rounder (Carsen Edwards), and trade #22 for a future 1st. Continue to accumulate assets so that Danny can make a meaningful trade proposal.

We now stand at
PG: Kemba Walker
C: Enes Kanter

Bench: Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, Langford, Carsen

Definetely some forward progress
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #926 on: July 02, 2019, 04:59:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Key points:

We now stand at
PG: Kemba Walker
C: Enes Kanter

Bench: Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, Langford, Carsen

Definetely some forward progress
Don't forget Grant Williams! He'll be a very solid player I reckon. Mini Tim Duncan ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #927 on: December 25, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The thing is that we handled the raptors quite handily.  And it was good to see a healthy Hayward make his christmas return.  He did not look out of place at all, chipping in 14 points and 6 assists.

Against the Sixers, Mavs, Pistons, Hornets, and Raptors the Celtics went 4-1.  Clearly we had some issues against the Sixers but that's not a bad stretch at all against very good competition all in all.

I believe this team can only get better with time.  The needle is pointing up on Brown and Tatum.  And Walker has been the PERFECT plug in floor general.  The chemistry feels off the charts.  Players are happy passing the ball, because they know they will get it if they are in position for a better shot.

It's a far cry from the toxic team of yesteryear where Kyrie failed to lead and guys like Rozier just wanted to 'get theirs'. 

Glad we cleaned out that locker room.  You might argue that Kyrie has more individual talent than Kemba, but we are far better off with Kemba and a change in supporting cast.  The egos that we have left mesh together.   It feels like the roles are better defined this year and the players are thriving now.

« Reply #928 on: December 25, 2019, 11:01:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

right now, NO would have to really sweeten the pot on that trade to make it palatable.  Personally, I'm not sure they could.

« Reply #929 on: December 25, 2019, 11:34:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

LOL....  not now