Author Topic: At this rate do you still believe Irving will resign?  (Read 5374 times)

Re: At this rate do you still believe Irving will resign?
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Hayward said he thinks Kyrie would have preferred the inbound went to Al Horford, who could have potentially gotten Irving the bell with a head of steam. But both Hayward and Horford said that felt Tatum got a good look.

From the postgame interview:
"JT got a good look, so let's move on." - Kyrie Irving
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2019, 07:41:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why? Hayward botched the play and how do you know that Stevens even drew up a good play to begin with?

Anyway, yes I think (and hope) he will re-sign.
That's irrelevant. It isn't Kyrie's job to draw up plays. If a player has a problem with one particular play, he can always talk to the coach after the game. You don't help your team by questioning your coach's decisions in the middle of the timeout. At least, that's how it works in my book.
Tell this to Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, James Harden, Isiah Thomas, Rajon Rondo and the dozens of other players who had no problem going to their coach in the timeout and told them "Get me the ball." or "Draw up another play for me." or "Let me draw up this play."

A great player letting a coach know they need to do another play happens more than you think. If Kyrie went to Brad and said he thought a different play should be run, and ignored Kyrie, well then, maybe Stevens has finally learned a lesson about how he might handle T.O advice from a superstar. Maybe Stevens just doesn't have that trust in Irving yet.

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Why? Hayward botched the play and how do you know that Stevens even drew up a good play to begin with?

That's irrelevant. It isn't Kyrie's job to draw up plays. If a player has a problem with one particular play, he can always talk to the coach after the game. You don't help your team by questioning your coach's decisions in the middle of the timeout. At least, that's how it works in my book.
Tell this to Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, James Harden, Isiah Thomas, Rajon Rondo and the dozens of other players who had no problem going to their coach in the timeout and told them "Get me the ball." or "Draw up another play for me." or "Let me draw up this play."

A great player letting a coach know they need to do another play happens more than you think. If Kyrie went to Brad and said he thought a different play should be run, and ignored Kyrie, well then, maybe Stevens has finally learned a lesson about how he might handle T.O advice from a superstar. Maybe Stevens just doesn't have that trust in Irving yet.
Can't argue with that, but you got to earn that level of trust first. Apparently Kyrie isn't there yet, at least not in CBS's eyes.

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You forgot Jimmy Chitwood.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If he don't, then here - let me provide the explosives.

Nuke it. Blow the team up.

Kyrie Irving has been to the top before. Some of us can try to wax poetic and say "Well, he won that title because of LeBron."

Well, LeBron wasn't winning that title WITHOUT Kyrie.........

Kyrie has been to the top. He knows what it takes. He's well-liked throughout the league.

If he leaves and we're left with a fully healthy GH and Big Al only that will NOT be enough to win a title, maybe not even make it out of the East.

While I take him at his word that he will re-sign those of us wanting him to leave get me alternative roster that can win a title.

I'm waiting.

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Kyrie Irving has been to the top before. Some of us can try to wax poetic and say "Well, he won that title because of LeBron."

Kyrie has been to the top. He knows what it takes. He's well-liked throughout the league.

If he leaves and we're left with a fully healthy GH and Big Al only that will NOT be enough to win a title, maybe not even make it out of the East.

While I take him at his word that he will re-sign those of us wanting him to leave get me alternative roster that can win a title.

I'm waiting.

Boston in: Simmons, Redick, Zhaire Smith
Philly in: Kyrie, Theis, Bird

(feel free to add pick(s) either way if you deem it necessary)

starting lineup come playoff time

Simmons
Redick
Hayward/Morris
Tatum
Horford

Maybe not a championship-caliber team from the get-go (the Warriors might be the best team in the history of the league), but we aren't winning a championship the way we are playing right now either.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:26:02 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'm waiting.

Simmons
Redick
Hayward/Morris
Tatum
Horford

Maybe not a championship-caliber team from the get-go (the Warriors might be the best team in the history of the league), but we aren't winning a championship the way we are playing right now either.

Iam all set with Ben Simmons.

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 03:08:32 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I'm pretty sure he will re-sign. He knows it's a good setup which is run professionally. He probably feels that Ainge sees him as the centerpiece of the team that piees can be added or subtracted around. He also knows that if this current scenario doesn't work that Ainge will make changes to make the team better, at the right time and the right price. Ainge won't overreact and do a panic trade because a) the team is inconsistent or b) the fans and media are moaning for a trade.

We all love trades because it's fun to speculate but I'm pretty sure Ainge is prepared to sacrifice this season if it means maximizing our chances of getting someone like AD or similar during the off season (or even the offseason after that). Dude is pretty long term in his thinking and won't sell low under any circumstances no matter what the media, fans or players think. Reduce the depth but increase the individual quality. And I think Kyrie knows that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 03:34:38 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

I'm waiting.

Simmons
Redick
Hayward/Morris
Tatum
Horford

Iam all set with Ben Simmons.

Yes and by the time Coach Stevens unearths his Jump Shot Big Al will be in a retirement home.

And NO - I don't want to see opposing guards abusing JJ Redick on defense, either. Marcus Smart was taking (and EATING) JJ's lunch during the playoff last year.

Pass on both.

The HILARIOUS thing with this blog is that we RAILED on Rajon Rondo for his LACK OF J..........we RAILED on IT4 because he was TOO SHORT...lack of DEFENSE....and NOW we get a PROVEN PG in Kyrie that lacks very little offensively and is getting BETTER on defense and we want to trade him?

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 12:09:07 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Irving dished out 18 dimes tonight!

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Irving dished out 18 dimes tonight!

Cue the crazy swing back to he's going to retire a Celtic!
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 12:16:46 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

Posted by: Roy H.

You forgot Jimmy Chitwood.

Too funny.  Just watched the final shot again, weak cross over but successful.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think he'll re-sign here, and I even thought that in the midst of the recent drama.  The reason is simple:  he said, live on camera, with no ambiguity, that he intends to stay here.  I'll believe that until he says otherwise.

Minds change all the time, but I have no interest in wading into the dumpster fire of subtext and armchair psychology and rumormongering to try to predict it happening in the future.  If it happens, it happens.  Until then, I think he's a Celtic.

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Yes.

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Has a player ever publicly said that clearly that he was going to resign and then done otherwise?

Plenty of players have said more ambiguous things that generally suggest a willingness to stay, and then done otherwise in free agency.  But I can't recall a player saying clearly "I'll be back if they want me" and then signing elsewhere.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain