Author Topic: At this rate do you still believe Irving will resign?  (Read 5499 times)

At this rate do you still believe Irving will resign?
« on: January 14, 2019, 12:01:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
anything short of making the finals, does anyone sincerely believe Irving is a shoe in to resign with the Celts?

I disliked him being hard on Hayward on the last play. Also during the timeout before the last play, you can see him ordering CBS around, instead of listening

After the game.....  what a pouty interview.  And he threw so many players under the bus...  the only player he wasn't hard on was himself

also this BS quote

"his Cavs teams always played hard"

Irving as a talent is not a problem. He is a gifted scorer.   Irving as a leader is below average.

I know many folks here are thinking, lets just weather the storm and make it into the playoffs..... it will be different.   Everything will click

But will it really?   A few losses to below average teams in the regular and you get the many issues above.....what is going to happen after one or two losses in the 1st round (1st two games) for example?   

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:54:57 PM by triboy16f »

Re: At this rate do you still believe Irving will resign?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I thought this was going be an actual discussion, not yet another hit thread. Just bump one of the old ones and perhaps modify the title to better represent the point you want to make (You think Irving is a bad leader) because this is misleading.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
This thread prompted me to register (longtime CB lurker but I don't have much time to watch the games anymore because of the time difference, so I can't really speak to what's happening with the team now).

He'd easily be the best player to walk away from the NBA at age 26 if he did resign.

More seriously, I think Irving will stay if only because the whole point of leaving the Cavaliers (similar to how Durant seems to be leaving Golden State?) is to establish his own legacy. His legacy in Boston now is being a guy who was injured on team that went on a miraculous playoff run... Not a great look.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:21:45 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
When I read this post I had this crazy thought of trading kyrie for Ben Simmons  ;D ;D

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:27:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
When I read this post I had this crazy thought of trading kyrie for Ben Simmons  ;D ;D

won't happen...why would the 76ers do it?

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I have no doubts he'll re-sign. This is still one of the best situations in the NBA for him and for anyone. I think if this stuff isn't cleared up in the playoffs, the team is going to make some changes but Kyrie is almost certainly here to stay.

Can you provide a link or something for the "Cavs teams always played hard" quote? I didn't hear that.

Unless you're talking about this, in which case, it's not the same thing and you're not quoting him at all:

“I was on the oldest team in the league. Guys were on, I don’t want to say their last legs, but it’s all or nothing. Their window was closing, so they knew it,” he said. “Their joy in what they were doing was coming from a place of ‘this is my last thing that I’m doing before my career is over. I’m trying to win a championship.’ Every single day was built towards that. Here, these guys are coming into a window where it’s very big, they have 14 years, 13 years, however many years you wanna say, and you know the emphasis on every day doing it, it doesn’t become important to some young guys until they get later in their career.”
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/01/boston-celtics-star-kyrie-irving-boils-teams-problems-down-to-one-word-experience.html
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:09:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I have no doubts he'll re-sign. This is still one of the best situations in the NBA for him and for anyone. I think if this stuff isn't cleared up in the playoffs, the team is going to make some changes but Kyrie is almost certainly here to stay.

Can you provide a link or something for the "Cavs teams always played hard" quote? I didn't hear that.

Unless you're talking about this, in which case, it's not the same thing and you're not quoting him at all:

“I was on the oldest team in the league. Guys were on, I don’t want to say their last legs, but it’s all or nothing. Their window was closing, so they knew it,” he said. “Their joy in what they were doing was coming from a place of ‘this is my last thing that I’m doing before my career is over. I’m trying to win a championship.’ Every single day was built towards that. Here, these guys are coming into a window where it’s very big, they have 14 years, 13 years, however many years you wanna say, and you know the emphasis on every day doing it, it doesn’t become important to some young guys until they get later in their career.”
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/01/boston-celtics-star-kyrie-irving-boils-teams-problems-down-to-one-word-experience.html

Even Hayward/Horford doesnt talk down on the young guys like this

They may say it on a positive light but not when team is struggling

Does Irving not understand what happened last season (reaching ECF)

Stop using age as the problem

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Yeah, I just made a thread about this. Inexperience and having had a lot of success early for some of these young guys might be a factor but I think we're hearing too much about it from Kyrie.

That said, I don't think there's any question he'll re-sign.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 01:21:30 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Kyrie must rue the day that he announced that he would resign with this team so early.

I have a feeling that he will not...not unless he sees the full return of form of Hayward or one of these young players take a major step forward or unless he sees a path to the free agent signing of Anthony Davis.

Otherwise, I'd guess it's a no go.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'm sorry but some of our young guys act entitled because they play on such a good team.  Then they get so down on themselves if they miss a shot it affects their effort.  I agree with Kyrie.  That pass should have gone to Al.  I love Tatum but he's not the game finisher yet.  Al, Kyrie and Gordon are the only 3 that should take a game ending shot for the short term.  Not sure what Gordon was thinking but he passed the ball to a player that was pinned in the corner and would have to take a tough shot.  Very weird IMO.  Kyrie is right that the young guys need to be consistent with their effort.  It's not there this year because they get into this mind set sometimes where it's my turn to take a shot and they take a bad shot or Kyrie will just handle it and the ball movement stops because they are not looking for the best shot.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 02:07:03 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48

Quite frankly at this point Hayward can't talk down on anyone.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

why not?

he is an all star that experienced bad luck (injury)

you can't diminish his resume just because of an up and down season (after 40 games)

And I blame CBS/Ainge/Irving for taking away his point forward capabilities

Tonight you will see what I mean (with Irving out)

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 02:45:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Kyrie must rue the day that he announced that he would resign with this team so early.

I have a feeling that he will not...not unless he sees the full return of form of Hayward or one of these young players take a major step forward or unless he sees a path to the free agent signing of Anthony Davis.

Otherwise, I'd guess it's a no go.

Why? What team is such a better situation that he'd accept less money and uproot himself again?

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Honestly I think next year is the year we actually contend......with Anthony Davis.

There are too many if's to get just right for this year. Not saying we won't but there has to be a lot that goes right.

IF:
~ Brad regains control and develops rotations
~ If Hayward gets healthy
~ If players accept roles
~ If Rozier is traded  ;D
~If , if, if, if, if

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
  • B's Up

why not?

he is an all star that experienced bad luck (injury)

you can't diminish his resume just because of an up and down season (after 40 games)

And I blame CBS/Ainge/Irving for taking away his point forward capabilities

Tonight you will see what I mean (with Irving out)

Ummm I would look at rozier as the main culprit. He doesnt allow any of the other bench players to be their best because hes too worried about himself in a contract year. Hes way too selfish to be the pg off the bench getting every1 else into a groove
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden