Author Topic: Celtics are unpredictable without Irving  (Read 10583 times)

Re: Celtics are unpredictable without Irving
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Celts are up by 18 midway through the second quarter tonight.  Just checking:  do these stats count for anything, or are they an outlier?

At the same time, Rozier just blew a layup.  Kyrie's fault due to bad chemistry / not sharing the ball enough?

It's probably best if we determine these things in real time, rather than months / years down the line.

You were saying?

Just wait

Morris and Kyrie should have rested longer...

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
How many assists does the team have tonight?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:14:49 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2019, 08:58:24 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Celts are up by 18 midway through the second quarter tonight.  Just checking:  do these stats count for anything, or are they an outlier?

At the same time, Rozier just blew a layup.  Kyrie's fault due to bad chemistry / not sharing the ball enough?

It's probably best if we determine these things in real time, rather than months / years down the line.
Obviously you are being funny, but the lead is now 6 and Irving is even while Rozier is +11.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2019, 09:14:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Obviously you are being funny, but the lead is now 6 and Irving is even while Rozier is +11.
Lol +/-
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2019, 09:35:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You were saying?

Just wait

Eight players in double digits, 24 point lead.

35, tied with their season high.  And there are 3 minutes to go.

EDIT:  37 assists.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:47:26 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2019, 09:51:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Season high in assists. 37 assists in 47 shots.

Oh, Kyrie played and 8 guys scored in double digits.

So these stats tell me there was a ton of ball movement and it had to be unpredictable to figure out who was going to score since clearly the scoring came fairly even between 8 players.

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2019, 09:52:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

You were saying?

Just wait

Eight players in double digits, 24 point lead.

35, tied with their season high.  And there are 3 minutes to go.

EDIT:  37 assists.

Yup

Nice 4th quarter basketball

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Are we still trading off our star guard ?   :P

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Smart? ;D

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2019, 10:08:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

What a stupid question. Why would we want to trade Wannamaker now??

:P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2019, 10:12:16 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

What a stupid question. Why would we want to trade Wannamaker now??

:P

He was referring to PJ Dozier.

Duh.

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2019, 10:40:15 PM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Just thought of this  ;D ;D ;D

We are unpredictable with or without Irving - in that we don't know if the good Celts show up or the bad Celts show up.

But now I guess we could say we were unpredictable!

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So does anyone have offensive stats with and without Irving?  Small sample size but that should say something.
So far this year.  But, But We don't need him.

Off. Rat.     Def. Rat.     Net Rat.     TS%
Kyrie on court    112.7         103.6          +9.1        58.0

Kyrie off court    100.4         101.4          -1.0         53.9

Kyrie on court    116.1         104.0         +12.2       58.9
from Nov.1st
until now

The TS% numbers when Kyrie is on the floor are what championship contending teams put up and there is still room for improvement as many players have under performed to start the year.  The numbers without Kyrie should improve greatly as Hayward gets his wheels under him and can shoulder the load when Kyrie is out.

See, the problem with this is that the "Kyrie off court" includes both games in which Kyrie started and games in which he did not.  Yet the "Kyrie off court" numbers are very different in those two sets of games.   Think about it:  Your data shows a negative net rating for the "Kyrie off court" ... yet the team is 3-1 in games without Kyrie.

Here is a breakdown of the "Kyrie off court" minutes this year:

Kyrie starts, but on bench (1140 possessions):

ORtg  101.9
  DRtg  105.9
  Net    -3.95

Kyrie doesn't play (387 possessions):

ORtg 118.1
  DRtg 101.8
  Net  +16.28

So as you can see, the numbers for the two scenarios are very, very different.   I haven't run them yet for last year, but I expect there is a similar disparity.
4 game sample against 4 western conference teams who are all currently outside the playoff picture.  3 of the 4 games were at home.  You have commented about being careful with analysis of statistics and then you quote a ridiculously small sample like that?  That wouldn't pass muster in any 1st year statistics course as evidence of anything.

If you look at the entire 45 game sample you get +85 if I did the math correct (not doing it again lol)
Those numbers would be indicative of a 45-50 win team IF the sample was an accurate representation of the C's without Irving (it's not).  That is probably just about what I would suspect, maybe a 4-6 seed in the Eastern Conference with potential to be a bit better with a healthy Hayward for an entire season.  With Irving this team should obtain home court at least for a round or 2, start playing like a 60+ win team and have title aspirations when all the parts come together.
ah but in the trade him scenario who are you adding to the team?  It isn't like Irving wouldn't bring back pieces.  What are those pieces and how do they affect the team (likely positively of course it could have a negative affect).  You see that is what is being lost.  No one is really arguing that removing Irving makes the team better merely it doesn't make the team much worse such that adding assets and avoiding paying him 38 million dollars a year may be the better long term option.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
So does anyone have offensive stats with and without Irving?  Small sample size but that should say something.

from Nov.1st
until now

The TS% numbers when Kyrie is on the floor are what championship contending teams put up and there is still room for improvement as many players have under performed to start the year.  The numbers without Kyrie should improve greatly as Hayward gets his wheels under him and can shoulder the load when Kyrie is out.

See, the problem with this is that the "Kyrie off court" includes both games in which Kyrie started and games in which he did not.  Yet the "Kyrie off court" numbers are very different in those two sets of games.   Think about it:  Your data shows a negative net rating for the "Kyrie off court" ... yet the team is 3-1 in games without Kyrie.

ORtg  101.9
  DRtg  105.9
  Net    -3.95

ORtg 118.1
  DRtg 101.8
  Net  +16.28

So as you can see, the numbers for the two scenarios are very, very different.   I haven't run them yet for last year, but I expect there is a similar disparity.
4 game sample against 4 western conference teams who are all currently outside the playoff picture.  3 of the 4 games were at home.  You have commented about being careful with analysis of statistics and then you quote a ridiculously small sample like that?  That wouldn't pass muster in any 1st year statistics course as evidence of anything.

If you look at the entire 45 game sample you get +85 if I did the math correct (not doing it again lol)
Those numbers would be indicative of a 45-50 win team IF the sample was an accurate representation of the C's without Irving (it's not).  That is probably just about what I would suspect, maybe a 4-6 seed in the Eastern Conference with potential to be a bit better with a healthy Hayward for an entire season.  With Irving this team should obtain home court at least for a round or 2, start playing like a 60+ win team and have title aspirations when all the parts come together.

This is conflating the different questions one asks when analyzing data.

If the purpose is to figure out how the team performed, on average, in situations when Kyrie started and then rested in-game, then the first sample is relevant.  That question is useful for wondering:  How did our bench perform while Kyrie was resting in games that he started?

If the purpose is to figure out how the team performed in games in which Kyrie did not play, the the breakdown I gave you is the accurate partitioning of the data.   That question might be more useful in regards to how well the team might played when Kyrie should not be able to play any minutes.   I.E., should he be lost to injury for a long stretch, as has happened as recently as last year.

If the purpose is to figure out how the team performed, on average, in all situations when Kyrie was not on the floor this year, then the aggregate mash-up of the 2 samples is appropriate.  That question is actually only really useful for wondering: Wouldn't it be great if Kyrie could play 48 minutes per game in all 82 games?

Yes, a 4 game sample is small.   A larger sample would be preferable and if I have some spare time I will try to do a breakdown of last year's data.   But the data is what it is.   You can't say that the team performed differently in games in which Kyrie did not start than how they performed.   In particular, you can't say how they performed in those 4 games using data from a completely different set of games.

The point of fact that I'm trying to make clear here is that over-sampling, taking in too broad a swath of data is not necessarily always a better thing.    The data should be taken from the thing which you are trying to measure.   Adding in data from other datasets just to make your dataset larger is not helpful if it doesn't actually pertain to the question you are trying to answer.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

from Nov.1st
until now

ORtg  101.9
  DRtg  105.9
  Net    -3.95

ORtg 118.1
  DRtg 101.8
  Net  +16.28

This is conflating the different questions one asks when analyzing data.

If the purpose is to figure out how the team performed, on average, in situations when Kyrie started and then rested in-game, then the first sample is relevant.  That question is useful for wondering:  How did our bench perform while Kyrie was resting in games that he started?

If the purpose is to figure out how the team performed in games in which Kyrie did not play, the the breakdown I gave you is the accurate partitioning of the data.   That question might be more useful in regards to how well the team might played when Kyrie should not be able to play any minutes.   I.E., should he be lost to injury for a long stretch, as has happened as recently as last year.

If the purpose is to figure out how the team performed, on average, in all situations when Kyrie was not on the floor this year, then the aggregate mash-up of the 2 samples is appropriate.  That question is actually only really useful for wondering: Wouldn't it be great if Kyrie could play 48 minutes per game in all 82 games?

Yes, a 4 game sample is small.   A larger sample would be preferable and if I have some spare time I will try to do a breakdown of last year's data.   But the data is what it is.   You can't say that the team performed differently in games in which Kyrie did not start than how they performed.   In particular, you can't say how they performed in those 4 games using data from a completely different set of games.

The point of fact that I'm trying to make clear here is that over-sampling, taking in too broad a swath of data is not necessarily always a better thing.    The data should be taken from the thing which you are trying to measure.   Adding in data from other datasets just to make your dataset larger is not helpful if it doesn't actually pertain to the question you are trying to answer.

then again, you can always choose to show only the data that supports your narrative and have some ready explanation once you are questioned, and try to discredit the opposing data sample.