Author Topic: Celtics are unpredictable without Irving  (Read 10668 times)

Re: Celtics are unpredictable without Irving
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
So does anyone have offensive stats with and without Irving?  Small sample size but that should say something.
So far this year.  But, But We don't need him.

Off. Rat.     Def. Rat.     Net Rat.     TS%
Kyrie on court    112.7         103.6          +9.1        58.0

Kyrie off court    100.4         101.4          -1.0         53.9

Kyrie on court    116.1         104.0         +12.2       58.9
from Nov.1st
until now

The TS% numbers when Kyrie is on the floor are what championship contending teams put up and there is still room for improvement as many players have under performed to start the year.  The numbers without Kyrie should improve greatly as Hayward gets his wheels under him and can shoulder the load when Kyrie is out. 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:02:38 PM by The Oracle »

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
this is not the 1st time the I.T. fan boy club/Kyrie hate club has made this argument

I don’t think this has anything to do with IT.  The two had similar games, so most of the criticisms of Kyrie would have seemingly applied to IT.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Throwing out a 16 game winning streak as an outlier only makes sense if you're looking at "winning versus losing" as the only measure of performance and you're treating it as a totally probabilistic thing, i.e. getting 16 "wins" in a row is completely unlikely and shouldn't be seen as having an effect on future probabilities of getting a "win."  The same way flipping a coin and having it land heads 5 times in a row doesn't change the probability of getting heads or tails.

The problem is that the variables that go into that winning streak, i.e. shooting efficiency, defense, rebounding, etc, are all part of the equation in every game, win or lose.  The team can play well enough one night to win against most opponents and still lose.  A team can play poorly and yet still win.

My recollection of that win streak is not that the team was blowing teams out night in and night out.  They were playing well, certainly, but it's not like the whole team was having an extended hot shooting streak or something.  Maybe they were playing above themselves a little bit in terms of clutch performance.  Or maybe they just had a run of good luck.

I think it is well established that good teams are more likely to go on extended win streaks than bad ones.  A team going on a win streak seems indicative of the ability of the team to play well for extended stretches.  Perhaps it suggests some variability in the level of play.  But on its own a W-L record doesn't provide you with a lot of useful information.

This is why over the course of a season, or a sample of multiple seasons, analysts tend to focus on broader indicators of team performance, e.g. point differential, +/-, ORTG and DRTG, because these tend to do a better job of capturing how the team is actually performing.

The problem with using the simple aggregate offensive & defensive ratings across the entire span is that, clearly, the ratings for some if not all of the players varied tremendously based on the change in rotations caused by starting or not starting Kyrie.

The "w/o Kyrie" minutes in a game that Kyrie started were performed at a totally different (much worse) level than the "w/o Kyrie" minutes in games he didn't play in.

If you roll those minutes all up together, you get a misleading on/off differential for with/without Kyrie that isn't informative at all.   In fact, the simple aggregate numbers suggest that the team without Kyrie has been barely better than mediocre (a scant +1.29 Net Rating).  That's the net rating of a 42-43 win club.   But the team without Kyrie has won games at the pace of a 50-win club.

So, while yes, tools like ORtg & DRtg are very useful, like with all statistical tools you need to be very careful with how you interpret them.

On whether it is better to include the 16-game winning streak from the start of the 2018 season: While it is generally good to start with the desire to include all data in a data set, it is important to also understand and recognize outliers.

Inclusion of the 16 game winning streak in a simple average leads to the conclusion that the Celtics have been a 64% winning-percentage team, with or without Kyrie.

But in the 122 games _since_ the winning streak ended, they have most definitely NOT been a 64% winning team, with or without Kyrie.   That percentage implies that they should have won 78 of those games.   But they did not.   They won 73 of them (60%).

Dropping that outlier data isn't about the comparison of with or without Kyrie because it doesn't change that comparison.  The winning percentage comes out essentially the same with/without Kyrie whether you include the 18 games or not.  But when you include it you get a number (for both with AND without Kyrie) that simply does not describe how the team has performed since the outlier.   So dropping it is about getting a more accurate winning percentage (for both with AND without Kyrie) that more accurately describes how the team has performed since the outlier and right up to the present.

The team won 60% of it's games last year after the hot start.  They have won 60.5% of it's games so far THIS year.   Those numbers are true regardless of the Kyrie question.   This is not a 64% winning team right now.   Maybe that will change later in the year.  Maybe they will go on another hot tear.   But it is not who this team has been for well over a year and who they are right now.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2019, 05:37:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Over 82 games last season, of which Kyrie played 60, the Celtics had a +3.6 point differential.  They won 67.1% of their games.  They had a ORTG of 105.2 (18th) and a DRTG of 101.5 (1st).

This year, 38 games in, of which Kyrie has played 34, the Celtics have a +6.2 point differential.  They have a ORTG of 109.4 (9th) and a DRTG of 102.4 (3rd).  Yet they've won only 60.5% of their games.

You could look at it the way you suggest, i.e. that the Celts are basically a 60% team that happened to go on a long winning streak to start last season and that's why the win % for last season was so high.

Another way you could look at it is that this year's team is actually performing better than last year's team, in aggregate, which is perhaps in part because Kyrie has played for almost the whole season so far, whereas he missed a good chunk of last year.

The Celts' numbers so far this year suggest, perhaps, that they ought to be winning more than 60% of their games and that there may be reason to expect them to pick up their winning percentage over the rest of the season.

Because when you look at their point differential and offense/defense numbers, they look like a better team than last year, despite not having the record to show for it.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2019, 05:42:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Over 82 games last season, of which Kyrie played 60, the Celtics had a +3.6 point differential.  They won 67.1% of their games.  They had a ORTG of 105.2 (18th) and a DRTG of 101.5 (1st).

This year, 38 games in, of which Kyrie has played 34, the Celtics have a +6.2 point differential.  They have a ORTG of 109.4 (9th) and a DRTG of 102.4 (3rd).  Yet they've won only 60.5% of their games.

You could look at it the way you suggest, i.e. that the Celts are basically a 60% team that happened to go on a long winning streak to start last season and that's why the win % for last season was so high.

Another way you could look at it is that this year's team is actually performing better than last year's team, in aggregate, which is perhaps in part because Kyrie has played for almost the whole season so far, whereas he missed a good chunk of last year.

The Celts' numbers so far this year suggest, perhaps, that they ought to be winning more than 60% of their games and that there may be reason to expect them to pick up their winning percentage over the rest of the season.

Because when you look at their point differential and offense/defense numbers, they look like a better team than last year, despite not having the record to show for it.

To back that up, basketball-reference has our “expected” record at 26-12, second best in the NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

To back that up, basketball-reference has our “expected” record at 26-12, second best in the NBA.

If the Celtics did not have a point-differential / Net Rating on par with the best in the league, I would be more worried.

But they do, so I am not.

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2019, 05:48:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
this is not the 1st time the I.T. fan boy club/Kyrie hate club has made this argument

I don’t think this has anything to do with IT.  The two had similar games, so most of the criticisms of Kyrie would have seemingly applied to IT.
You’re not wrong, but there’s definitely posters who gave IT a pass for things Kyrie does much better than him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 05:49:54 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

No.  The flaw in the "pythagorean" projection of our "expected" record is that we have a few 'skew' games like the Bulls blowout by +56 points.   That and a few others (+33 over CLE, +29 over CHI, +28 over NYK) is skewing our point differential and inflating our pythagorean 'expected win' total.   

This effect is in someways indicative of the strength of our bench (because once we are in blowout win mode, our bench _really_ blows out bad teams).   But it isn't necessarily going to win you more games because it only becomes a big point differential in games that are already blowouts.    You don't get to take some of those extra points scored in the Bulls games and sprinkle them across other, closer games.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2019, 06:08:58 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
So does anyone have offensive stats with and without Irving?  Small sample size but that should say something.

from Nov.1st
until now

The TS% numbers when Kyrie is on the floor are what championship contending teams put up and there is still room for improvement as many players have under performed to start the year.  The numbers without Kyrie should improve greatly as Hayward gets his wheels under him and can shoulder the load when Kyrie is out.

See, the problem with this is that the "Kyrie off court" includes both games in which Kyrie started and games in which he did not.  Yet the "Kyrie off court" numbers are very different in those two sets of games.   Think about it:  Your data shows a negative net rating for the "Kyrie off court" ... yet the team is 3-1 in games without Kyrie.

Here is a breakdown of the "Kyrie off court" minutes this year:

Kyrie starts, but on bench (1140 possessions):

ORtg  101.9
  DRtg  105.9
  Net    -3.95

Kyrie doesn't play (387 possessions):

ORtg 118.1
  DRtg 101.8
  Net  +16.28

So as you can see, the numbers for the two scenarios are very, very different.   I haven't run them yet for last year, but I expect there is a similar disparity.

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Isn't it the case that blowing out bad teams is an indicator of long term success?  I've heard that notion asserted so often that it seems to be an accepted truth in stat-head circles.

So while, yeah, the point differential is high in part because the Celts have destroyed bad teams, that doesn't necessarily mean that the point differential doesn't support the conclusion that they're actually likely to win more games over the rest of the season than they have so far.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Isn't it the case that blowing out bad teams is an indicator of long term success?  I've heard that notion asserted so often that it seems to be an accepted truth in stat-head circles.

So while, yeah, the point differential is high in part because the Celts have destroyed bad teams, that doesn't necessarily mean that the point differential doesn't support the conclusion that they're actually likely to win more games over the rest of the season than they have so far.

Well, I'm not saying that there is no information to be drawn from having blown out the bad teams.   But there is a point of diminishing return for the information it is telling you.

The reason is, if you get into an extreme blow out, where you are playing your deepest bench players, and they happen to be extending the lead against the crappy team's deep bench players, how does that inform you about how your actual rotation players will perform in the future?   Your deepest bench players are expected to get only a tiny fraction of the minutes remaining in the season (and possibly none at all in the playoffs).   And you will only play the deepest bench players of a team like the Bulls for a tiny handful of minutes in the season.  Yes, it's great that we have outscored the bulls by a combined net of +89 points in the two games we played them so far.  But we only get one more game against the Bulls.

The point is to be wary of these outliers and take the pythagorean projection right now with a big grain of salt.  It is probably correct in that we have underperformed.  But probably not quite to the extent of it "expects".

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2019, 07:07:58 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

from Nov.1st
until now

See, the problem with this is that the "Kyrie off court" includes both games in which Kyrie started and games in which he did not.  Yet the "Kyrie off court" numbers are very different in those two sets of games.   Think about it:  Your data shows a negative net rating for the "Kyrie off court" ... yet the team is 3-1 in games without Kyrie.

Here is a breakdown of the "Kyrie off court" minutes this year:

Kyrie starts, but on bench (1140 possessions):

ORtg  101.9
  DRtg  105.9
  Net    -3.95

Kyrie doesn't play (387 possessions):

ORtg 118.1
  DRtg 101.8
  Net  +16.28

So as you can see, the numbers for the two scenarios are very, very different.   I haven't run them yet for last year, but I expect there is a similar disparity.
4 game sample against 4 western conference teams who are all currently outside the playoff picture.  3 of the 4 games were at home.  You have commented about being careful with analysis of statistics and then you quote a ridiculously small sample like that?  That wouldn't pass muster in any 1st year statistics course as evidence of anything.

If you look at the entire 45 game sample you get +85 if I did the math correct (not doing it again lol)
Those numbers would be indicative of a 45-50 win team IF the sample was an accurate representation of the C's without Irving (it's not).  That is probably just about what I would suspect, maybe a 4-6 seed in the Eastern Conference with potential to be a bit better with a healthy Hayward for an entire season.  With Irving this team should obtain home court at least for a round or 2, start playing like a 60+ win team and have title aspirations when all the parts come together.

« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2019, 07:08:18 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Wait this is why stats are deceiving. 8f you're going to use stats with and without Kyrie, you also have to take into account the OTHERS stats. Sure stats will look better with Kyrie, he's a great player, but that means others stats will decline and vice versa when Kyrie is out.

I compare this to Wentz vs Foles. Wentz may be the better player but look how the team chemistry is when Foles plays. Throw out the stats.

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2019, 07:46:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Wait this is why stats are deceiving. 8f you're going to use stats with and without Kyrie, you also have to take into account the OTHERS stats. Sure stats will look better with Kyrie, he's a great player, but that means others stats will decline and vice versa when Kyrie is out.

I compare this to Wentz vs Foles. Wentz may be the better player but look how the team chemistry is when Foles plays. Throw out the stats.

The problem is that "look how the team chemistry is when ___ sits" is a proposition extremely prone to confirmation bias unless you're willing to entertain the stats regarding the team's performance with and without the player in question.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Celts are up by 18 midway through the second quarter tonight.  Just checking:  do these stats count for anything, or are they an outlier?

At the same time, Rozier just blew a layup.  Kyrie's fault due to bad chemistry / not sharing the ball enough?

It's probably best if we determine these things in real time, rather than months / years down the line.