Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238762 times)

Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« on: June 29, 2018, 05:17:24 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
First we start off at draft with a gifted acquisition at 27.A under coached 20 year old with tools not seen since the days of Celtics legend centers Russell and Cowens.
There is an excellent breakdown of his passing,shooting.offense and defense that shows a gifted athlete and need of professional coaching at NBA level.
I think it is on the Celtic organization to guide Robert so he is not overwhelmed -there is so much to work on with so many adjustments and distractions.
Big men come with a unique set of challenges.
Today we get introduced to the beginning of a possible legend and it will start soon with a play a foot over the box or a nasty come from behind block but it will be a jaw dropping display of athleticism
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:21:56 AM by Redz »

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:39:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm not getting high expectations for him. As long as he is a role player that would be good for pick 27.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:27:32 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
First we start off at draft with a gifted acquisition at 27.A under coached 20 year old with tools not seen since the days of Celtics legend centers Russell and Cowens.
There is an excellent breakdown of his passing,shooting.offense and defense that shows a gifted athlete and need of professional coaching at NBA level.
I think it is on the Celtic organization to guide Robert so he is not overwhelmed -there is so much to work on with so many adjustments and distractions.
Today we get introduced to the beginning of a possible legend and it will start soon with a play a foot over the box or a nasty come from behind block but it will be a jaw dropping display of athleticism

So even better than other C's bigs like Parish, McHale, and Garnett, huh?

Nice to see that the expectations for this project is within reason.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 06:31:12 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

With all respect, this is not what Rollie said.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 06:32:55 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Expectations are setups for resentments for some.But i'm a fan and always start off positive
The ability of Brad and team to influence a player of this caliber from the beginning of a NBA career.To instill a work ethic and his trust of his teammates not from a losing squad just playing for numbers but Horford,Kyrie, Hayward Baynes,Marcus,Tatum,Brown and even Rozier
Of course i'm projecting but if you factor his love of defense,his length and vertical . His ability to cover multiple positions because of wingspan and quick feet. His ability to run the court.
There is nothing average about this guy except foul shots and a mid range game but that is easy to work on.He can pass but can also be a Turner and that is not a painting at Tate gallery.
This is not a Gerald Green or Zack Levine but a 240 lb center that get up quick and powerfully .
Call it hyperbole but fortunately for Celtics the hyperbole is fact
.Look at all the Hall of Famers they were all rookie once

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 06:56:48 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Tools we have not seen since the days of Russell and Cowens.
Length ,vertical shot and shot blocking ability, light on feet

Today we get introduced to the" beginning of a possible legend".
The key word was possible
And it will start with a well above box lob slam or a huge block. Just jaw dropping!!!!
He has tested at 12.5 ft the 2nd highest ever at the performance clinic.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:07:39 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 07:06:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has nice length and great athletic ability.  I too, am very excited about Williams but I realize it might take a few years.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 07:40:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
with tools not seen since the days of Celtics legend centers Russell and Cowens

We have yet to see whether he has the tools of Tony Battie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 07:41:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

With all respect, this is not what Rollie said.

"Tools not seen since Russell and Cowens", so since the players I mentioned all came after those 2, it's clear that they didn't have the tools Williams possesses. That said, I do think Williams is really talented and an absolute steal at #27. However, let's keep expectations at least moderately reasonable.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 08:05:23 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
They were short centers with vertical and Russell had length and era-Parrish and Mchale did not have the tools of Robert Williams neither were explosive or elite vertical-nether were bouncy
And i'll keep my expectations where I want them.-Quit stalking and attempting to use semantics while fully understanding the gist.Your attempts to discredit are blatantly obvious-Bill Russell had the right idea.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
They were short centers with vertical and Russell had length and era-Parrish and Mchale did not have the tools of Robert Williams neither were explosive or elite vertical-nether were bouncy
And i'll keep my expectations where I want them.-Quit stalking and attempting to use semantics while fully understanding the gist.Your attempts to discredit are blatantly obvious-Bill Russell had the right idea.

I guess you ve seen him play, right? Full games (plural) not just highlights...

I remember another recent pick with very interesting body measurements... Fab Melo...

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 08:27:16 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I guess you ve seen him play, right? Full games (plural) not just highlights...

I remember another recent pick with very interesting body measurements... Fab Melo...
I've seen Williams play ~25 full games.  He may not succeed but he's definitely not another Fab Melo. 

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 08:35:34 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
What are you talking about -a gifted acquisition,under coached and used as a power forward with a poor point guard and center'
I also stressed tools and it is up to the organization,coaching staff and his teammates to teach him.If he fails it will not be athletic ability.Conditioning ,strength training,drills and nutrition .He has youth that drive themselves to emulate and veterans to guide him and a great coach and organization.Are you claiming he is Fab Melo.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 08:44:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
with tools not seen since the days of Celtics legend centers Russell and Cowens

We have yet to see whether he has the tools of Tony Battie.
if he turned out to be Tony Battie - we'll have done well for a #27 pick.  hopefully a much better rebounding Tony Battie and Williams develops a reliable 16ft jumper like Battie

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 08:54:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
What are you talking about -a gifted acquisition,under coached and used as a power forward with a poor point guard and center'
I also stressed tools and it is up to the organization,coaching staff and his teammates to teach him.If he fails it will not be athletic ability.Conditioning ,strength training,drills and nutrition .He has youth that drive themselves to emulate and veterans to guide him and a great coach and organization.Are you claiming he is Fab Melo.

No i am not claiming anything like that because I haven't seen him play. Have you ?

What i AM saying is that athletic ability by itself doesn't mean anything! on the other hand you are calling the 27th pick a possible legend!!!

And please don't twist my posts to suit your answer !