Author Topic: Is the nba going to find a way to outlaw the theis double screen?  (Read 4755 times)

Re: Is the nba going to find a way to outlaw the theis double screen?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
bbuuutt Theis is really subpar because he doesnt score much or rebounds. Like WCS, Poetl, Drummond etc  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Good mention of Adams. He does it really well. Even in our game vs them despite his poor performance and being outperformed by Theis, he was able to help his team due to this.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 11:48:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love that Stevens is using these seals much more often than past years for better performance at the rim. Theis has done a fantastic job at it and boy have the Jay's benefitted from them .

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 01:27:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This is why I like Theis as our 5, he creates multiple buckets a game for our slashers by just carving space. Sometimes gets the dish off it when the defense recovers to the driver, too. He fits very well with our top guys.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 02:19:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Setting good screens is an underrated NBA skill.

Baynes is elite.  Theis has become elite.  (hey, maybe Brad is really good at coaching bigs to set screens)

Perk was a great screen setter.

Marcin Gortat was one of my favorite centers when he was in the league because of his screen setting. 

I would say that screen setters should be rewarded with greater recognition.  The rules should not be changed to discourage screen setting.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Man, it’s like taking candy from a baby.  The ABC commentators were talking about it as a novel thing and listening to the Portland announcers, they’re also discussing quite a bit. 

I anticipate every team copying it soon.
This isn't a new thing. Teams have been doing this forever. It stands out with us because we have a # of players who can attack the basket.

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 02:37:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The fact that it has become so effective is why they will probably call it a moving screen and ban in.  Probably in the off season.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 02:57:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Baynes is elite.  Theis has become elite.  (hey, maybe Brad is really good at coaching bigs to set screens)

That's interesting because I was just thinking that while Theis' interior screens are great his standard perimeter screens are just normal/pretty good. I'll have to watch them more closely but while his movement is very good he's just not bulky enough to really knock guys off their lanes.

But I agree entirely, good screening is one of the top 5 things I want from a modern center.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:53:43 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 05:40:43 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Thanks for great posts here. It is fun to watch and I was wondering "where it came from."

Of course this action has been around for a long time, but, as you've observed, they've been getting a lot of mileage out of it.

I suppose it came from this year's team.

"A lot of good shooters and some good passers." This sounds like most NBA teams, but, this year Walker tends to set up between 11AM and 1AM and opposing coaches have been asking for traps and "leans/help" to deal with his strong shooting.

Recently, trapping has been catching up with Tatum and I'm sure plays will be called for this beyond the obvious.

Except for Walker, this team has played a lot together over the last couple of years Watching them over this 9-1 run? Their defense has been as good as it gets and their offensive action better than earlier in the season. They are top 3 in the NBA in many categories.

My point is, the better they get, the tougher it is for individual defenders to make "effective decisions" when attempting to defend stuff like, Theis walking down the lane with an all star shooter in his wake.

Smart and Hayward like this action with all the bigs.

Theis has been getting more minutes as defenders aren't having much luck with him.

You guys know more about rules than I do, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

That's interesting because I was just thinking that while Theis' interior screens are great his standard perimeter screens are just normal/pretty good. I'll have to watch them more closely but while his movement is very good he's just not bulky enough to really knock guys off their lanes.

But I agree entirely, good screening is one of the top 5 things I want from a modern center.

Maybe you're right about Theis not being elite at setting normal screens.  But what he's been doing with the seals inside to create openings for teammates is really something.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 06:06:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Maybe you're right about Theis not being elite at setting normal screens.  But what he's been doing with the seals inside to create openings for teammates is really something.
I actually think all our bigs are pretty average to below average on setting perimeter screens and picks. Most of it looks like lack of timing and familiarity, like the screener isn't setting his pick close enough to and in proper time with the ball handler.

Often our bigs are moving out of the screen way too early, necessitating a reset of the play and the screen in the opposite direction. This drives me nuts. They all do it. Even Tacko!!!

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 09:29:23 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

I actually think all our bigs are pretty average to below average on setting perimeter screens and picks. Most of it looks like lack of timing and familiarity, like the screener isn't setting his pick close enough to and in proper time with the ball handler.

Often our bigs are moving out of the screen way too early, necessitating a reset of the play and the screen in the opposite direction. This drives me nuts. They all do it. Even Tacko!!!

I watched a video breakdown somewhere that some of it is by design, they are using screens as a "fake" and force defenders to move a certain way.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 09:54:16 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I watched a video breakdown somewhere that some of it is by design, they are using screens as a "fake" and force defenders to move a certain way.

I put a link to the video in my comment on page 1 of this thread.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 09:56:55 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

I put a link to the video in my comment on page 1 of this thread.

Ah yes, I saw that video a while back. I mustve missed it on the first page.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

You might be talking about something different from Nick here.

Re-screening is a common practice in pick and roll offense. It’s commonly used when the defender goes under the screen, for instance. It can be built into a play as part of a bigger misdirection.

Given this thread on-going, it was great to hear JT acknowledge Theis postgame for getting him open.

One thing I have not heard much is how thoroughly the coaching staff have overhauled the offense this year. There’s been a seismic shift toward high pick and roll, which is sensible given Kemba Walker’s skills; what might be more surprising is how often Tatum is now functioning as pnr ballhandler. But the most grateful player for the new system has got to be Daniel Theis, who’s got just terrific feel for the pnr dance. (btw, 1.21 points per possession as roll man!)
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021