Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 260335 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #795 on: March 14, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Any thoughts on the Kings with two rounds left

Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

I think it's a dynamic and deadly offensive team.

Dirk Nowitzki is an incredible offensive player. Just the threat of his outside shooting opens up so much space for everyone else. Throw in the low post game (and high post game) of D.Cousins. Then mix in a pair of guards (I.Thomas, E.Gordon) who are dangerous dribble drive threats and are very strong outside shooters ... incredibly difficult to defend.

But, Dirk is the guy. He gives order and balance to everything. I might worry a bit about chemistry without him, but, with him, I think Dirk brings everything together offensively and makes it work at a wonderful level.

I really like Jimmy Butler on this team. Glue guy. Does all the little things. Enables the offense with his well-rounded game. Does the dirty work defensively. Rebounds. Tough. Always plays hard.

On the bench - I like Vince Carter. Still playing well. Another highly skilled backup SF to add into the offensive mix. A pair of backup centers in Plumlee and Noel who will do the dirty work in the paint. I like MCW. Great prospect. Not wild about Kendall Marshall. I think a scoring PG would be better to pair with MCW (SG). A jump-shooting PF and defensive guard/wing would finish it off nicely.
Thanks.  That is what I was going for.  I was thinking I needed a big defending wing and a PF with my last two picks, which matches exactly what you are thinking.

As for Marshall, I just thought he was BPA last round.  43% from three with 9.5 assists per game on the year.  Hard to pass that up in the 7th round.  Especially for a 22 year old 2nd year PG.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #796 on: March 14, 2014, 07:55:15 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Starters - Isaiah Thomas, Eric Gordon, Jimmy Butler, Dirk Nowitzki, Demarcus Cousins
Bench - Kendall Marshall, Michael Carter-Williams, Vince Carter, Miles Plumlee, Nerlens Noel

Dirk Nowitzki is an incredible offensive player. Just the threat of his outside shooting opens up so much space for everyone else. Throw in the low post game (and high post game) of D.Cousins. Then mix in a pair of guards (I.Thomas, E.Gordon) who are dangerous dribble drive threats and are very strong outside shooters ... incredibly difficult to defend.

But, Dirk is the guy. He gives order and balance to everything. I might worry a bit about chemistry without him, but, with him, I think Dirk brings everything together offensively and makes it work at a wonderful level.

I really like Jimmy Butler on this team. Glue guy. Does all the little things. Enables the offense with his well-rounded game. Does the dirty work defensively. Rebounds. Tough. Always plays hard.

On the bench - I like Vince Carter. Still playing well. Another highly skilled backup SF to add into the offensive mix. A pair of backup centers in Plumlee and Noel who will do the dirty work in the paint. I like MCW. Great prospect. Not wild about Kendall Marshall. I think a scoring PG would be better to pair with MCW (SG). A jump-shooting PF and defensive guard/wing would finish it off nicely.
Thanks.  That is what I was going for.  I was thinking I needed a big defending wing and a PF with my last two picks, which matches exactly what you are thinking.

As for Marshall, I just thought he was BPA last round.  43% from three with 9.5 assists per game on the year.  Hard to pass that up in the 7th round.  Especially for a 22 year old 2nd year PG.

I like this team, but because of Dirk it's in win now mode from year to year.  I wanted Noel. Could be a great pickup for the future. Gordon has to stay healthy too.

« Reply #797 on: March 14, 2014, 08:02:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I like this team, but because of Dirk it's in win now mode from year to year.  I wanted Noel. Could be a great pickup for the future. Gordon has to stay healthy too.
I, of course, would like to win now, but Dirk and Vince are the only two guys above 25 on the roster and as such this team is set up to win for 10 years.   Gordon does need to stay healthy, but he is the 5th leading scorer on the team (DMC, Dirk, Isaiah, and MCW are all more than him).  I believe this is the only team with 3 separate 20 point per game scorers.  I have shooters at every single starting position.  This team is an offensive juggernaut in the starting lineup with some excellent defensive minded bigs on the bench for contrast.

« Reply #798 on: March 14, 2014, 08:51:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Have seen any comments by anyone praising or trashing my team.  anyone have thoughts on this championship-caliber squad?

No-longer-dysfunctional -->CLEVELAND CAVALIERS
PG: Kyrie Irving/Rodney Stuckey
SG: Kevin Martin/Tyreke Evans
SF: Luol Deng/Corey Brewer
PF: Serge Ibaka/Andray Blatche
C: Nikola Vucevic/Kosta Koufos

My viewpoint: I've got a solid 4 guard rotation where 3 can act as ballhandlers.  I've got 2 excellent defensive SFs that can are decent scorers.  I've got a PF combo that can score and defend--one's a better defender while the other is a better scorer.  I've got a couple of centers that can definitely score and while they aren't all world defenders, they aren't horrible either.

Thoughts?

« Reply #799 on: March 14, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I, of course, would like to win now, but Dirk and Vince are the only two guys above 25 on the roster and as such this team is set up to win for 10 years.   Gordon does need to stay healthy, but he is the 5th leading scorer on the team (DMC, Dirk, Isaiah, and MCW are all more than him).  I believe this is the only team with 3 separate 20 point per game scorers.  I have shooters at every single starting position.  This team is an offensive juggernaut in the starting lineup with some excellent defensive minded bigs on the bench for contrast.

I like your team, but saying it's set to win for 10 years may be stretching it. Especially in our 20 team league. Lol  Outside of Butler, Dirk, Carter, and maybe Gordon lots of players still have to prove they can play winning ball, but it's a solid foundation.

« Reply #800 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Happy to add the other Morris.  You know the better shooting one.  Adds a nice stretch 4 to the bench and compliments Plumlee and Noel quite well in the bench big man rotation.

« Reply #801 on: March 14, 2014, 10:42:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Getting to the part of the draft where we are basically pulling at straws here. Good picks thus far but the talent drop off is about to happen.

« Reply #802 on: March 14, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So is this over after today's draft or is there going to be a short period to remain open for trades to finalize rosters?

« Reply #803 on: March 14, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Thaddeus Young is 3rd in steals per game (2nd in total steals). I didn't know that. That is pretty darn impressive from the PF position.

« Reply #804 on: March 14, 2014, 11:11:08 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
So is this over after today's draft or is there going to be a short period to remain open for trades to finalize rosters?

I'll likely allow trades over this weekend and then lock all threads except for the General Commentary thread on Monday.

Thaddeus Young is 3rd in steals per game (2nd in total steals). I didn't know that. That is pretty darn impressive from the PF position.

Dude has some length.

« Reply #805 on: March 14, 2014, 11:14:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Happy to add the other Morris.  You know the better shooting one.  Adds a nice stretch 4 to the bench and compliments Plumlee and Noel quite well in the bench big man rotation.
Marcus Morris is a really nice pickup. I was thinking about him as backup SF. Versatile forward.

« Reply #806 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Marcus Morris is a really nice pickup. I was thinking about him as backup SF. Versatile forward.
certainly could play some at 3, especially when I want to go big.  I have a guy in mind I'm hoping I can land with my last pick, which would add a similar dimension from a slightly smaller guy.

« Reply #807 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I'll likely allow trades over this weekend and then lock all threads except for the General Commentary thread on Monday.

Dude has some length.

Almost took Young over Leonard with my first pick in this draft. Couldn't come around to liking Thad playing the three along Aldridge at the 4.

« Reply #808 on: March 14, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I really like players like Shaun Livingston in these late rounds. Can play PG, SG and SF. Valuable utility man to have at the end of your bench.

« Reply #809 on: March 14, 2014, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Dude has some length.

Almost took Young over Leonard with my first pick in this draft. Couldn't come around to liking Thad playing the three along Aldridge at the 4.

Thad can be effective at the 3, but I think he belongs at the 4. Much like Josh Smith.

I was happy to be able to grab Thad in the 2nd.