Author Topic: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary  (Read 261606 times)

Re: 2014 Pick 2: General Commentary
« Reply #675 on: March 11, 2014, 12:13:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Portland's Starting Lineup ends with:

PG: Lillard
SG: D. Green
SF: Leonard
PF: Aldridge
C:  Noah

You know, for as much as I absolutely loved your core when it was just Lillard, Leonard, Aldridge & Noah, I was a bit worried you might not be able to fill out the starting lineup (especially considering the dearth of high quality SG's in the league today), having traded away your 3rd round pick.

Obviously, this is more a byproduct of there only being 20 teams in this draft, but getting Green with your 4th round pick is a steal none the less.

This is just a phenomenal starting 5.  Job well done, PJ!

« Reply #676 on: March 11, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Can we pick, or do we wait until after the break?

There's a guy we like, but we are also okay moving the pick.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #677 on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I don't see how defense is an issue. No opposing guards are getting easy buckets with Bledsoe and Allen. Dwight Howard is the best defensive anchor there is in the league and Pierce can still hold his own against any wings in the NBA. Harden and Lee are the only "weak" defenders I suppose, but with Howard next Lee, and Harden getting help from Bledsoe, Allen, and Pierce, I doubt that would even be an issue.

But putting Allen means benching either PP or Beard (I assume), that's a lot of offense to give up for defense.

Sure, that's a hard wall to break, but Tony Allen will not give this Rockets team any points.

As for Harden and Lee getting helped by Howard or Pierce or Bledsoe, well, maybe.

Bledsoe is a heck of a defender, but will he be able to effectively defend SG's at 6'1"? Those are Harden's covers that he blatantly ignores (especially those back cuts). That may be a tough out. Pierce may be a bit slow for SG's as well.

Watched a lot of David Lee games (all of it actually), he's actually a solid one on one defender. My concern is, if Dwight, say, get's stretched out on the pick and roll and leaves Lee down as a help defender, that's trouble. That's what he's bad at. He doest give effort on challenging shots, nor gives effort to even close out (on most occasions).

Dont get me wrong, I still think this Houston team is at worst, top 4. I guess I'm just picking knits (did I spell that right), about Harden getting burned and Lee's bad help defense. That could still be a problem, but after being proved wrong on Pierce by IP, it probably isnt that big of a concern.

I think the simple answer here is using a 'closing' lineup of Harden, Allen, Pierce, Lee & Howard.

Bledsoe a better individual player, but his talents are a bit redundant with those of Harden.  TA is such an excellent, and versatile defender, having him in the lineup with Pierce and Harden would allow TA to likely guard the best player on the opposition 1-3.  The overall offensive talents of the rest of that lineup would mitigate whatever shortcomings TA has on offense.

Houston is still my co-favorite, along with Portland.

« Reply #678 on: March 11, 2014, 12:25:06 PM »

Offline Young Nick

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 105
  • Also known as P Swaggy.
I personally have the Blazers as my #1 seed in the west. That being said, I have one main concern: Green and Leonard are not as comfortable with the ball in their hands as Matthews and Batum. Lillard can operate so well off the ball that this line-up potentially limits him in that capacity.

However, seeing how well PJ has drafted, I wouldn't be surprised for him to add rotation players who will allow Lillard to act more as a 2 than a 1. This team would be a pleasure to watch.

Unrelated: I want to see Rockets/Pellies. High quality on one end of the floor, JV on the other.
AB_Celtic's Pick 2 - Memphis Grizzlies
Proud GM of DKC Spurs. Rotation found here.

« Reply #679 on: March 11, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Portland's Starting Lineup ends with:

PG: Lillard
SG: D. Green
SF: Leonard
PF: Aldridge
C:  Noah

You know, for as much as I absolutely loved your core when it was just Lillard, Leonard, Aldridge & Noah, I was a bit worried you might not be able to fill out the starting lineup (especially considering the dearth of high quality SG's in the league today), having traded away your 3rd round pick.

Obviously, this is more a byproduct of there only being 20 teams in this draft, but getting Green with your 4th round pick is a steal none the less.

This is just a phenomenal starting 5.  Job well done, PJ!

Thanks! TP for the feedback. I feel I was lucky that Green was still there. Now I hope I don't screw up my bench!

« Reply #680 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:03 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Can we pick, or do we wait until after the break?

There's a guy we like, but we are also okay moving the pick.

I think to give BG and Enzzo a chance to make their picks, it would be nice if you could wait until the end of the break, but as per the rules there's nothing making you wait.

« Reply #681 on: March 11, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I personally have the Blazers as my #1 seed in the west. That being said, I have one main concern: Green and Leonard are not as comfortable with the ball in their hands as Matthews and Batum. Lillard can operate so well off the ball that this line-up potentially limits him in that capacity.

However, seeing how well PJ has drafted, I wouldn't be surprised for him to add rotation players who will allow Lillard to act more as a 2 than a 1. This team would be a pleasure to watch.

Unrelated: I want to see Rockets/Pellies. High quality on one end of the floor, JV on the other.

Noah is quite possible the best passing big in the game.  I don't see much of an issue.

« Reply #682 on: March 11, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Sorry guys. Held up in a meeting all morning.

Will make my selection shortly.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #683 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
airbelinelli is one happy camper.

« Reply #684 on: March 11, 2014, 01:49:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Marco Belinelli is having a great year for the Spurs. 50% from the field, 44% from 3 and 85% from the FT line. Third most minutes on the team after Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.

« Reply #685 on: March 11, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
figures.  had one guy at the top of my list for next round and was watching a bunch of guys get picked that I had slotted for later rounds.  Got really optimistic I'd land him next round, but no, freaking Young Nick has to go and snag Martell Webster on me.   >:(

« Reply #686 on: March 11, 2014, 02:03:36 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Looking to make another pick at either the end of this round or beginning of the 6th. Pm me if you're looking to move a selection.

« Reply #687 on: March 11, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »

Offline airbelinelli

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • Derrick Rose is year-to-year
Had to nab belinelli, not just because of my username but also feel he'd be a great fit next to Curry.
CB Draft: Golden State Warriors - 14.23
PG: Bledsoe/Lin/ Harris
SG: Beal/ Henderson/ Ingram
SF: Winslow/McDermott/
PF: Turner/ Acy / Hernangomez
C: Adams/ Turner/ McRoberts
DKC Nets: http://tinyurl.com/h5mdvwj

« Reply #688 on: March 11, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »

fitzhickey

What do people think of Toronto's many lineups?

Starters:
Lowry
Reddick
DeRozan
Smith
Gasol

Big:
Lowry
DeRozan
Smith
Splitter
Gasol

Scoring:
Lowry
Derozan
Smith
Anderson
Gasol

« Reply #689 on: March 11, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What do people think of Toronto's many lineups?

Starters:
Lowry
Reddick
DeRozan
Smith
Gasol

Big:
Lowry
DeRozan
Smith
Splitter
Gasol

Scoring:
Lowry
Derozan
Smith
Anderson
Gasol

Defense / rebounding:

Lowry
DeRozan
Carroll
Smith
Gasol

Shooting:

Lowry
Redick
Carroll
Anderson
Gasol

Fun stuff.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes