Author Topic: Cs aggressive on trade market: Mannix NBC Boston  (Read 15026 times)

Re: Cs aggressive on trade market: Mannix NBC Boston
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Gotta be looking for a bench scorer that fits into the DPE. Belineli is a possibility, but he's really more of a shooter than a scorer
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Simmons, Monroe, Evans all make tons of sense depending on the price. Simmons might even be slightly overrated now, but that's exactly the kind of contract Danny loves to take advantage of with IT, Crowder, etc. Monroe is a great matchup guy to balance out Baynes. Evans is a big offensive upgrade right now on either Rozier or Smart.

Hezonga: buyer beware. The guy hit 8 three pointers in a loss to Detroit and it warped his stats for the whole season. You can literally drop that 1 game and he goes back to looking like 3 years of terribleness. No way we trade for a shooting guard who's bad on both ends of the court. I doubt we'd even waste a 2nd rounder on him.

Bottom line, we have too many guys that aren't scorers: Baynes, Smart, Rozier, Ojeyele, Theis, even Horford is more of a facilitator. Irving/ Brown/ Tatum aren't enough in a league full of teams averaging 105+ ppg.

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Still think Lou Williams would be a perfect fit for what we need. He would be the perfect bench scoring plug that we need, and we could surround him with defenders to make up for his lack of D.

Evans would also be good, though I don't see Memphis trading him.

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The 3 teams mentioned are the Clippers, the Grizzles, and Orlando. Let's make a trade idea for each.

Orlando Magic

Terry Rozier, Abdul Nader, and Marcus Morris to Magic

Jonathan Simmons and Shelvin Mack to the Celtics

The Magic wanted Terry Rozier last year in a trade for Serge Ibaka. That trade fell through because Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge really, really, really like Terry Rozier.

He continues to improve his game and efficiency with more opportunities, but it seems like he is the most likely to be traded (or you could possibly sub Marcus Smart in for Rozier in this trade). The Magic get a good young guard prospect and a veteran forward.

The Celtics get a reunion of Bulldogs (Shelvin Mack, Gordon Hayward, and Brad Stevens). Shelvin Mack has been sneaky good at running offenses in the NBA as a backup -- that's something we desperately need. We also get Simmons, an athletic defensive-first player with good driving ability. In this trade, we get a little smaller, but Simmons can hold his own (and did for the Spurs last year) as a small-ball 4.

Memphis Grizzles

Tyreke Evans to the Celtics

Marcus Smart to the Grizzles

This serves as a reboot for both teams and both guards. Smart is an upgrade offensively over their current starting guard (Andrew Harrison), and the Grizzles have had good luck with former Celtics defensive guards (Tony Allen). Smart could become a crowd favorite in Memphis, and the front office could control his destiny moving forward as a RFA.

The Celtics get more scoring off the bench which is a desperate need with or without Gordon Hayward. It would also be interesting to see what Evans will get in free agency next year after no one wanted him in 2017. Could the Celtics give him a 5 year, 40 million dollar deal? Would he say no? Would another team offer more?

Los Angeles Clippers

Lou Williams to the Celtics

Clippers Pick to the Clippers

This is the Clippers pick the Celtics obtained a while ago. Why not complete the circle and send it back to them. With the way it is going, it was unlikely to be a first round pick anyway, but this way, the Clippers own their own picks.

The Celtics get a scoring threat for their second unit. Although I'm not a big fan of Lou Williams, he may be the best option available.

www.treytalkssports.com/2017/12/24/celtic-trade-ideas-because-reasons/

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Why do we want to trade assets for a bench player? C's aren't winning this year because they make a bench improvement.

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »

• Paul Silas
Why do we want to trade assets for a bench player? C's aren't winning this year because they make a bench improvement.

1. We aren't? We have the best record in the league. Why not us? I know we aren't favorites, but if we are there at the end of the season, I think we'd wish we had the extra guys.
2. Because getting bench players like Simmons and Mack on good contracts would give us more trade flexibility next year.

Edit: I guess we don't have the best record in the league anymore, but we are right there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 04:35:49 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 04:40:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

1. We aren't? We have the best record in the league. Why not us? I know we aren't favorites, but if we are there at the end of the season, I think we'd wish we had the extra guys.
2. Because getting bench players like Simmons and Mack on good contracts would give us more trade flexibility next year.

Edit: I guess we don't have the best record in the league anymore, but we are right there.
We aren't

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I like the 2 trades but not the Orlando trade..if morris is healthy he's a great asset to this team
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 04:42:46 PM »

• Paul Silas

We aren't

I love a good, hearty, well-thought debate ...  ;D ;D

I know that's the common way of thinking, but crazier things have happened.

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2017, 07:02:05 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Yes we are.  Let's go Celtics!!!

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 07:06:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I wonder who Ainge is dangling in trade discussions.  Smart seems doubtful, Rozier has no value, the bench youth stink..
draft picks? Got lots of them

The Lakers one is looking pretty possible to happen even next year.  That would be VERY valuable.

Not saying they have some big value (especially Rozier), but of course you are going to take the worst possible angle on just about any Celtics player tarheel. It's nice that you are predictable.

I feel like they ride it out with Smart.  He hasn't been playing so well that he will go make a bunch of money, but I definitely still believe in him and he is a positive player.  He just isn't a scorer and sometimes right now the team clearly needs that.

I still think there are smaller moves that are non impact that would help them.  Marco Belinelli I would still like to try to get, and I don't see why that would cost anything of real value.

Personally, I think getting some high picks here is really appealing as we have some very expensive star players, as you can get potentially a young star who you are not paying like one for some time (that will happen with Tatum I think).  As much as I like Horford, I also think about his age.  So I hope we just make smaller tweaks.

Oh yeah? That's an interesting perspective, chief.  What are we basing that on, my dislike for one player?  Look forward to hearing more.

I don't put much stock in these rumors -- Ainge is constantly shopping, but his deals always come out of nowhere.  That said, given the teams listed, how is the Lakers pick a factor?  We're trading a lottery pick for bench help?  That's a negative. 

Moving anything of value makes little sense to me at this stage, as we aren't contending till next year at the earliest.  And our young players have very little value -- hence the need for bench help.  I'd suspect birdman is on point that draft picks are the most likely assets to be spent at this stage.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 07:21:51 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 08:03:04 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I wonder who Ainge is dangling in trade discussions.  Smart seems doubtful, Rozier has no value, the bench youth stink..

Why does Smart seem doubtful?

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 08:16:42 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Why does Smart seem doubtful?

Just gut intuition, and maybe not... no idea what his market value is atm, and I'd guess that'd be the main determinant. But I actually think he's played very well lately.  More within his competency, heady.  Stats haven't caught up yet, but from recent games it looks like he has improved a lot in the PnR -- playing well with Theis and baynes in particular. Assuming a move would be to shore up the bench, it'd seem odd to part with our best bench guy
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 07:42:14 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:12 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Maybe, this explains the "extra minutes" end of benchers have been getting of late.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
That's just Danny being Danny, aggressive as always.  That's why he's one of the best in the league.  He's always exploring avenues, even if there's no "there" there.  I'd also ignore rumors except from specific sources.

Maybe, this explains the "extra minutes" end of benchers have been getting of late.

I'd think that if we were trying to maximize value, we'd keep our bench just that - glued to the bench.  You can't really showcase borderline NBA talent, which at this point in time many of our bench players are - especially as dysfunctional as our second unit is.  No sane GM is going to surrender future picks or valuable players for our bench players without compromise from our side.