Author Topic: Any tips for making a Calzone?  (Read 5604 times)

Any tips for making a Calzone?
« on: July 07, 2011, 07:32:41 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Hey Everyone,normally on my nights to cook for the GF I make a pretty mean pizza, not entirely from scratch, I buy the dough and everything but I put it all together, and it usually comes out good, or at least she says it does.

Tonight I wanted to try giving a calzone a try.  I got my dough and fillings all set, I was wondering if anybody here had experience making calzones, any tips? 

I know you are supposed to cut some slits in the top for air to escape.

I read on one site to use half the pizza dough and make two calzones rather than one big one, but I don't know about that.

Anything else im missing?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Any tips for making a Calzone?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Step by step instructions:

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4004/How_to_make_calzone

Are you making your calzone with or without sauce inside?  I'm sure it makes a difference, although I don't know how.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Step by step instructions:

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4004/How_to_make_calzone

Are you making your calzone with or without sauce inside?  I'm sure it makes a difference, although I don't know how.

Im not putting sauce on the inside, going chicken cordon blue style, got some chicken, a ham steak and chesse.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 06:11:40 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Rondo.... my favorite recipe is in "Tea Party", post #55, here in "Community".  I don't use sauce in the filling and I don't cut slits in the top.   Stromboli is basically a large version of Calzone and is cut and served instead of being an individual  portion.  I thought the oven temp. was too high, but it seems to work...just watch it and take it out when it is brown.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It's really, really easy.  Just make the pizza normally, but when you're putting on the sauce / toppings, put them on only half of the pizza.  You can choose not to use sauce at all and just have it on the side for dipping, or use less sauce in the calzone and still have dipping sauce.  

Fold the half without sauce / toppings over and crimp the edges of the dough to seal the crust.  Then use a knife to cut a few slits into the top and put it into the oven.

Personally, I think calzones are better when they are made from smaller amounts of pizza dough rather than large size.  That way you don't have to cut it up as much and it will stay together more easily.

How I know this: Worked at a pizza place for a couple months in the summer of '08 (good times).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
... And watch the temperature when eating ... The filling tends to go nuclear and usually results in me burning the roof of my mouth!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:05:36 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Use cheese please
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
try making a bunch of little ones, like 6" diameter.

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
... And watch the temperature when eating ... The filling tends to go nuclear and usually results in me burning the roof of my mouth!

true statement.  gotta cut the calzone open and wait for it too cool after cooking.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers