Author Topic: Anyone here doing the Spartacus Workout?  (Read 20678 times)

Anyone here doing the Spartacus Workout?
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
I've recently been trying a Men's Health HIIT program that a lot of you have probably heard of. For those of you who don't know it, HIIT (high intensity interval training) programs like Spartacus and P90X are shredding people all over the nation these days. Spartacus in particular is a 60/15 circuit (60 seconds of intense exercise followed by 15 seconds of rest) of 10 full body exercises done in succession. Completing all 10 is 1 circuit, you rest 2 minutes, than repeat all 10 exercises 2 more times. It seems kinda easy when you look at it, but it is extremely hard in execution.

I was wondering if anyone else is currently doing it or have tried it in the past? I've been in a bulking phase for the last 12 months and am now trying a 12 week HIIT cycle to see how ripped I can get. I've completed 2 weeks so far and have lost 8 pounds without altering my diet at all. Dove bars and Pepperidge Farm cookies, baby! I have questions about it and am looking for some general support if anyone cares to respond. And if anyone is interested in trying it I can give you the program!

Re: Anyone here doing the Spartacus Workout?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 65
It looks like a fun conditioning workout but you 'll still need some heavy lifting to preserve muscle and strength gained during your bulk.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:14:12 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm on my second time through P90X right now.  I haven't done Spartacus.  P90X is definitely working well.  I haven't weighed myself at all; however, I've definitely toned up, have dropped more than a pants size, and am starting to see a 6-pack. 

I've modified my diet slightly more the second time through (the first time I did nothing, now I'm trying to eat healthy on the weekdays and splurge a little on the weekends). 

I think they're all worthwhile.  While I've always worked out, these programs mix it up and make sure you at least workout 6+ hours per week. 

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
It looks like a fun conditioning workout but you 'll still need some heavy lifting to preserve muscle and strength gained during your bulk.
I agree. I do spartacus 3x week and do heavy compounds once a week. I haven't lost any strength at all, in fact my 1 rep max on deadlifts and military presses have gone up 10%. I supplement with protein to assure I still take in 1 gram per pound of my goal weight. So far so good...

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:34:55 AM »

Offline homericepisode

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 19
I'm taking a class at BSC that teaches you how to do Spartacus correctly--apparently, all the movements should be in strict form, and when your body is under that much stress it is easy to get sloppy and essentially less effective. Will keep you posted!

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:57:10 AM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
I agree. I do spartacus 3x week and do heavy compounds once a week. I haven't lost any strength at all, in fact my 1 rep max on deadlifts and military presses have gone up 10%. I supplement with protein to assure I still take in 1 gram per pound of my goal weight. So far so good...

The exercise selection in Spartacus is good for improving core strength, so I guess this helped with deadlifts and presses.
I'm thinking of giving it a go in my off days. Are there any guidelines about weight or rep targets?

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton

The exercise selection in Spartacus is good for improving core strength, so I guess this helped with deadlifts and presses.
I'm thinking of giving it a go in my off days. Are there any guidelines about weight or rep targets?
The guidelines are simple--do the exercises slow and stay in perfect form. Other people I've seen try it do the reps too fast like they are trying to do as many as humanly possible in 60 sec. That's wrong. Do as many as you can, controlled, perfectly, and always strive to push yourself a rep or two more. Also, my big problem was trying to do everything with too much weight. Don't worry about the weight--it's a way to measure your progress not a means to an end. You may feel like a Sally at first (I do the t-push ups with tiny 7.5# dumbbells, even though I can benchpress 315#), but it's more important to get through all the circuits than it is to move a lot of metal. So do your best to do each exercise for 60 minutes (it's okay to rest during the set, but stay in position), don't take more than the 15 seconds to rest between sets or 2 minutes between circuits. My first week, I did the entire 3rd circuit mostly without weights. Good luck and excited to hear how you do.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
I got a few PMs from guys wanting to take a stab at this workout--how did everyone do? Is anyone sticking with it? I'm almost finished my 3rd full week and the results are great--I'm still sucking wind by mid way through the 3rd circuit, but finishing in the alotted time.

Also, for anyone who is doing it and wants a proper assist for this work out, order yourself a Gymboss interval timer--the hard part of these HIIT programs is timing yourself without having to stop and jimmy around with your ipod or smartphone, and I'd say setting up in front of the gym clock and doing circuit training is not in the cards for most people. This timer clips to your clothes or ipod arm band, has a couple settings (you can program your 60 sec interval and 15 sec rest time) and keep them on repeat so you never have to touch it. Plus, it has a vibrate feature (it looks like a smaller version of an old school pager) that allows you to keep going without stopping your music or turning off your timer alarm. For 19.95, it's a good deal and pretty useful is you workout at all.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
Well, I tried it and failed miserably. It's difficult to do in a crowded gym. I got more frustrated than tired trying to get the right dumbbells and get into position in time.
Anyway, I do most of my weight training EDT style and I lose fat quite fast this way.

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
everybody goin for a six pack...por que?

with a six pack the party ends early...

but with a keg you party all nite long~

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 11:04:58 PM »

Offline greensquirrel

• Brad Stevens
everybody goin for a six pack...por que?

with a six pack the party ends early...

but with a keg you party all nite long~

I got the only sixpacks I care about in my fridge. I just want to get reasonably lean before eating my way to a 2xBW squat.

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I was doing Spartacus 1 to 2 times a week and it worked exceptionally well.  Honestly I began to lose too much weight (although that's also due to diet) so I've been doing heavier weights recently.

I highly recommend it, but its definitely difficult if done properly.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 01:23:10 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
I've done P90X, and the Spartacus workout by Men's Health. Like previously mentioned, doing the only Spartacus can get boring and doesn't give you the results you're looking for unless you couple it with real lifting. It will get you in great shape though if you do it with the minimal rest it suggests.

Also, I don't think the Spartacus will get you that six pack. It'll strengthen your core and make your muscles more functional, but not make it ripped. You need sit ups for that.

For a P90X like program that has dumbbell cardio like Spartacus, I highly suggest the program Rushfit. I'm going through it now and having gone through P90X and Insanity by beachbody, I thought I was ready for it, but it's crazy hard.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:36 AM »

Offline Kiwicelt

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I got a few PMs from guys wanting to take a stab at this workout--how did everyone do? Is anyone sticking with it? I'm almost finished my 3rd full week and the results are great--I'm still sucking wind by mid way through the 3rd circuit, but finishing in the alotted time.

Gudday mate,

I'm currently adjusting my workouts to try and accomodate the HIIT scheme you sent me. Fitting it in with everything else will be crucial because I like how it works. I'm going to have to cut excercises and shorten the iron I think to get more rest. I also teach martial arts. (thats right, I have no life at the moment  :o).

The workout is good. Got the system breathing hard by the end of the 3rd circuit. Like you say, keeping form strict is the thing. Judging by some of the earlier posts I might have to cut alot of the iron out and just do compound excercises.