Author Topic: What to do with our 2018 pick[Merged Threads]  (Read 19226 times)

Re: Could/should Celtics target a boom or bust prospect
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Jontay Porter is overweight and a below average athlete, but his feel for the game and shooting are great for a big man. If he could improve his athleticism by losing weight, he could be a really valuable player/starter.

Ainge already gave Sullinger a chance and got burnt.

Except Porter has Center size and length, and a 3 point shot. Sullinger had none of those things.

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Another Boom or Bust Guy I would add to my list is

Jarred Vanderbilt UK, 19th in the class of 2017 he is a very unique prospect who I hadn't given much though till till I hear him discussed on the "Ringers Draft class". He is a 6'9 220lb big man with a 7'1 wingspan. What makes him intriguing is his ability to potentially legitimately defend 1-5, provide elite level rebounding, and his good enough with the ball to push on the fast break. In the modern NBA he could carve out a nice role as a super high energy small ball rim running big.

The down side is the fact the he has had alot of foot injuries and missed most on this season and the fact that he does not shoot the call well and is a limited player on offense.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 11:30:16 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'm in the move up for Robert Williams or draft and stash Omer Yurtseven camp. I want a center, was kinda sad to see Zizic traded. I think this is a good draft to get some kind of project for the end of the bench or a draft and stash guy.

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 12:31:28 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I'm in the move up for Robert Williams or draft and stash Omer Yurtseven camp. I want a center, was kinda sad to see Zizic traded. I think this is a good draft to get some kind of project for the end of the bench or a draft and stash guy.

Yurtseven has shown good things in FIBA junior competitions. But his long range is not good (and i am polite here)

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Yurtseven has shown good things in FIBA junior competitions. But his long range is not good (and i am polite here)

First and foremost, I am an NC State fan and my son attends and has seen Yurts play in person a LOT.  He is horrible.  He has horrible hands (easily gets the ball stripped.).  He has virtually ZERO low post game.  He might be the slowest moving big, laterally, in the country.  He can shoot a three.  That is about it.   Most Worfpack fans are ELATED that he is going pro.  Good riddance!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

First and foremost, I am an NC State fan and my son attends and has seen Yurts play in person a LOT.  He is horrible.  He has horrible hands (easily gets the ball stripped.).  He has virtually ZERO low post game.  He might be the slowest moving big, laterally, in the country.  He can shoot a three.  That is about it.   Most Worfpack fans are ELATED that he is going pro.  Good riddance!!!!

Smitty77

I ll take your view on him ... Performance in such tournaments can be easily misleading. One question though... Can he really shoot 3p? If I am not wrong in the last European championship he didnt even try to take a 3p

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I don't see any of the players the OP mentioned really being a good player. Diallo and Robinson are overrated athletes with a terrible feel for the game of basketball. Kostas is two years away from being two years away. I'm not sure he ever gets much better. Trent looks like a possible end-of-bench player.

I do like Simmons some, but the amount of resources necessary to change his shooting form, develop his passing, and improve his decision-making may be too much for a contending team.

I do like Duval and Yurt as bench players, but I don't view them as a boom (starter) or bust prospects.

Jontay Porter is overweight and a below average athlete, but his feel for the game and shooting are great for a big man. If he could improve his athleticism by losing weight, he could be a really valuable player/starter.

I think Kerwin Roach has some potential as a Lou Williams/Will Barton type of player, but he might not really get good until his second contract.

Keita Bates-Diop is somehow both underrated and overrated at the same time. I doubt he can be a starting player, but he looks like a rotation guy to me in the right situation.

Isaac Bonga is a 6'9'' point guard from Germany that has potential to be a starting caliber player.

What makes you think that Robinson is overrated? He didn't play a single NCAA game (he was kicked off the team, which is its own red flag), but he was apparently dominant in high school. I'm not arguing with you; I've never seen him play. Just curious what makes you think he is a terrible basketball player.

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Smitty77

Yeah, my father is a NC State alumn and lives in Raleigh, so he watches them a lot, and this seems to be his feelings on Yurtseven.

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'm also feeling Moritz Wagner out of Michigan. He looks like he would be a good fit in our system and should be a late first round pick.

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 03:33:22 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't see any of the players the OP mentioned really being a good player. Diallo and Robinson are overrated athletes with a terrible feel for the game of basketball. Kostas is two years away from being two years away. I'm not sure he ever gets much better. Trent looks like a possible end-of-bench player.

I do like Simmons some, but the amount of resources necessary to change his shooting form, develop his passing, and improve his decision-making may be too much for a contending team.

I do like Duval and Yurt as bench players, but I don't view them as a boom (starter) or bust prospects.

I think Kerwin Roach has some potential as a Lou Williams/Will Barton type of player, but he might not really get good until his second contract.

Keita Bates-Diop is somehow both underrated and overrated at the same time. I doubt he can be a starting player, but he looks like a rotation guy to me in the right situation.

Isaac Bonga is a 6'9'' point guard from Germany that has potential to be a starting caliber player.

What makes you think that Robinson is overrated? He didn't play a single NCAA game (he was kicked off the team, which is its own red flag), but he was apparently dominant in high school. I'm not arguing with you; I've never seen him play. Just curious what makes you think he is a terrible basketball player.

I've probably done what you've done -- watch youtube highlights of the guy. His size, explosiveness, and agility are apparent, but his hands are mediocre and I was never impressed with his feel in those highlights.

I might be wrong. Just my thoughts based on what I've seen.

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If you can teach a player to play within themselves, you have to take a flier on Robinson. Sure he doesn't know how to play basketball, but he was a prolific shot blocker. He also knew how to jump hard for rebounds. Flash a possible shot, and boom you have a foundation. He is a project if there ever was one. If he had any semblance of a game, his tools would make it so he was never available near where the celtics Pick.
#JKJB

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 02:21:08 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Definitely hoping for a big. Maybe an immediate Baynes replacement if he leaves.

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am hoping for Dončić at the 2. With Lakers turning the poker of deuces in a row. The boom would be in full effect.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If you can teach a player to play within themselves, you have to take a flier on Robinson. Sure he doesn't know how to play basketball, but he was a prolific shot blocker. He also knew how to jump hard for rebounds. Flash a possible shot, and boom you have a foundation. He is a project if there ever was one. If he had any semblance of a game, his tools would make it so he was never available near where the celtics Pick.
Sounds like Jordan Mickey. One skill (shotblocking) teach him to play within himself.

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 02:48:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am hoping for Dončić at the 2. With Lakers turning the poker of deuces in a row. The boom would be in full effect.
Multiple TPs