Author Topic: 2020 NFL Draft thread  (Read 18267 times)

Re: 2020 NFL Draft thread
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2020, 07:52:27 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Nfl .com:

Patriots
Day 1 grade: Incomplete
Day 2 picks: Lenoir-Rhyne S Kyle Dugger (No. 37 overall); Michigan LB Josh Uche (No. 60); Alabama LB Anfernee Jennings (No. 87); UCLA TE Devin Asiasi (No. 91); Virginia Tech TE Dalton Keene (No. 101)
Day 2 grade and analysis: A
Kyle Dugger is a versatile performer who will work in the box for the Patriots. He's tough and quick to the ball. Belichick found a pass rusher in a trade-up for Uche, an athletic edge rusher who helped meet one of the team's major needs. He joins his former teammate in Ann Arbor, Chase Winovich, on the Patriots. Jennings can play opposite Uche and Winovich, providing a nice one-two punch on the outside. New England traded up for Asiasi to meet a big tight end need; he's an athletic guy who was underutilized in the Bruins' offense. He won't be ignored with the Patriots. They moved up again to pick Keene. The athleticism he showed at the combine likely bumped him up a round or two in this draft. He's a nice blocker/receiver-type whom Belichick will use in many ways. Apparently the Patriots decided it was time to address that position, as they were willing to part with picks to get their guys.

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think Pats go WR, TE or OL right away today. Feel Stid needs the help. Cassel and even Brady had help when they first took over. We can't go into the season without improvement on offense, it struggled all last year.

I agree. The team needs to support Stidham with as much surrounding talent as possible. Getting Andrews back is a big boost, and hopefully Wynn stays healthy, but even then the O-line could still probably use a bit more help. Tight end is a black hole right now, and there are no deep threats at receiver—they've gotta give Stidham some decent targets to throw to.

It still keeps coming at me in waves that the Pats don't have Brady and aren't a threat to win it all.  The shift of mindset hasn't been quick for me.   I'm wondering if anyone here thinks Stidham has the tools and work ethic to be a top 10 QB down the road.  The 2001 TB wasn't anywhere great but he did  show poise, leadership, intensity, and could throw the short ball pretty darn well. 

Is there any reason to think that with a great draft and maybe a couple of good trades/signings that BB and Patriot culture can sustain its winning ways through the transition?  It goes without saying that JS won't TB - ever.   

But is a top 10 QB in the league in a few years reasonable to hope for?  And if he doesn't have that ceiling -- why in the world wouldn't BB be taking a shot with one of his picks today?

I really don't know whether Stidham has those tools and work ethic. Hoping for the best, of course, but I feel like Belichick let him down with today's picks. The offense needs some really skilled weapons, but Belichick went mostly with defense today, even the D is the stronger part of the team.
I don’t know about Stidham, but it definitely feels like our offensive picks were run focused - a solid tight end and a blocking utility tight end/fullback utility guy.

Our defence (and offence) were the oldest in the league, so it makes sense that we want to accumulate lots of picks. Maybe we’ll see a QB pick in the 4th (like Eason or Fromm), but I’m not too concerned about not giving Stidham heaps of weapons - want to see Michel be more of a focal point

You see something in Sony that I don't.   Not only don't I see great speed, elusiveness, or decision-making....  there were times last year that he seemed so easily brought down that I thought that I wouldn't have a problem tackling him (tantamount to saying your grandmother could tackle him).   
I know the line wasn't opening big holes, but seems he needs that to gain yardage.  No sign of being an elite running back.

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2020, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nfl .com:

Patriots
Day 2 picks: Lenoir-Rhyne S Kyle Dugger (No. 37 overall); Michigan LB Josh Uche (No. 60); Alabama LB Anfernee Jennings (No. 87); UCLA TE Devin Asiasi (No. 91); Virginia Tech TE Dalton Keene (No. 101)
Kyle Dugger is a versatile performer who will work in the box for the Patriots. He's tough and quick to the ball. Belichick found a pass rusher in a trade-up for Uche, an athletic edge rusher who helped meet one of the team's major needs. He joins his former teammate in Ann Arbor, Chase Winovich, on the Patriots. Jennings can play opposite Uche and Winovich, providing a nice one-two punch on the outside. New England traded up for Asiasi to meet a big tight end need; he's an athletic guy who was underutilized in the Bruins' offense. He won't be ignored with the Patriots. They moved up again to pick Keene. The athleticism he showed at the combine likely bumped him up a round or two in this draft. He's a nice blocker/receiver-type whom Belichick will use in many ways. Apparently the Patriots decided it was time to address that position, as they were willing to part with picks to get their guys.

Don’t read too much into it.  Of the first 11 teams he graded (in alphabetical order), 10 got an A and the other a B+.  23 teams got an A grade.  Useless analysis.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2020, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nfl .com:

Patriots

Don’t read too much into it.  Of the first 11 teams he graded (in alphabetical order), 10 got an A and the other a B+.  23 teams got an A grade.  Useless analysis.
Kiper didn't like what the Patriots did with the TE's.  And while Kiper gets set on his pre-draft rankings, he sticks with them and tells it like it is generally.  This was just Kiper saying picks he liked or didn't like, so it wasn't a full grade, but he went after the Pats for those 2 picks.

New England Patriots
The picks: Devin Asiasi, TE, UCLA (No. 91); Dalton Keene, TE, Virginia Tech (No. 101)

New England traded up to No. 91, and at that point there had been only one tight end drafted. One. This is not a great class to get one. Dayton's Adam Trautman was there, along with FAU's Harrison Bryant and Missouri's Albert Okwuegbunam. So the Patriots did take a tight end, but it was my seventh-ranked TE in Asiasi. He's not going to be the new Rob Gronkowski, and I would have looked elsewhere, but he did catch 44 passes and four touchdowns last season.

Then the Pats traded up again for a TE, this time Keene, whom I actually had ranked one spot after Asiasi. And all of those others are still on the board. Bill Belichick is obviously trying to fill a big-time need -- New England tight ends had only two receiving touchdowns, tied for fewest in the NFL (with the Bears) -- but there were better options available.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Jennings from Alabama is a really good player.

Very quick. Closes fast. Excellent hands. Reads plays well. Covers his assignments consistently.

Stylistically he's kind of "funny looking" on the run....he leans down hill, but cuts with the best of them.

He can go into the offensive backfield or drop and cover and be equally effective.

As far as the first pick for the Pats? I've followed college football since the 60's and I've never heard of that school. I know where Shippensberg State is....I thought that school was small, gracious.

Feedback on the "two tight ends" doesn't amount to much. The second one (Keene/VT) picked didn't play many games because of injury, but, played well when he did.

« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
First Patriots pick of the day is..... a kicker.

And he wasn't even the best one available. Then again, Belichick drafted Bailey (Punter) last year in the 5th round and he's been amazing.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So my prediction is that we see OL depth selected, then they trade Thuney to free up cap space to bring in a veteran QB.  I think there is a chance they trade Hightower also, maybe to make cap space for a tight end trade or FA pick up.  Hightower is a great player but due to break down again.  So after a couple of OL, maybe a line backer, a kicker, and a tight end.

I got the order wrong in terms of OL and LB but my prediction (probably guess is a better word) on picks is holding up.  Now let's see if the plan is to go with a Stidham or if I am also guessing right that they will bring in a veteran either directly or indirectly in conjunction with a trade of Hightower or Thuney.  They need to trade one of these guys to free up money to either trade for Dalton (it wouldn't take much I suspect) or sign Newton.

« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2020, 06:11:30 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Idk why bill always passes high level talent from big schools

Division 2 safety. Unranked kicker.  No qb. What’s his obsession with hoyer

« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2020, 07:19:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Pats go WR, TE or OL right away today. Feel Stid needs the help. Cassel and even Brady had help when they first took over. We can't go into the season without improvement on offense, it struggled all last year.

I agree. The team needs to support Stidham with as much surrounding talent as possible. Getting Andrews back is a big boost, and hopefully Wynn stays healthy, but even then the O-line could still probably use a bit more help. Tight end is a black hole right now, and there are no deep threats at receiver—they've gotta give Stidham some decent targets to throw to.

It still keeps coming at me in waves that the Pats don't have Brady and aren't a threat to win it all.  The shift of mindset hasn't been quick for me.   I'm wondering if anyone here thinks Stidham has the tools and work ethic to be a top 10 QB down the road.  The 2001 TB wasn't anywhere great but he did  show poise, leadership, intensity, and could throw the short ball pretty darn well. 

Is there any reason to think that with a great draft and maybe a couple of good trades/signings that BB and Patriot culture can sustain its winning ways through the transition?  It goes without saying that JS won't TB - ever.   

But is a top 10 QB in the league in a few years reasonable to hope for?  And if he doesn't have that ceiling -- why in the world wouldn't BB be taking a shot with one of his picks today?

I really don't know whether Stidham has those tools and work ethic. Hoping for the best, of course, but I feel like Belichick let him down with today's picks. The offense needs some really skilled weapons, but Belichick went mostly with defense today, even the D is the stronger part of the team.
I don’t know about Stidham, but it definitely feels like our offensive picks were run focused - a solid tight end and a blocking utility tight end/fullback utility guy.

Our defence (and offence) were the oldest in the league, so it makes sense that we want to accumulate lots of picks. Maybe we’ll see a QB pick in the 4th (like Eason or Fromm), but I’m not too concerned about not giving Stidham heaps of weapons - want to see Michel be more of a focal point

You see something in Sony that I don't.   Not only don't I see great speed, elusiveness, or decision-making....  there were times last year that he seemed so easily brought down that I thought that I wouldn't have a problem tackling him (tantamount to saying your grandmother could tackle him).   
I know the line wasn't opening big holes, but seems he needs that to gain yardage.  No sign of being an elite running back.
I thought Sony was really good when he had Develin & Gronk around. Obviously not saying much, as those guys rock, but I think with how poor our receiving core is (barring Sanu returns to his peak form & Harry takes a step forward) I think we’ll end up relying on Sony & White a lot.

Maybe Stidham is way better than I see though! Either way I think this year is going to be a retooling year - might be a weak team. Who knows. If we could grab Justin Fields next year as our QB for the future I’d be ecstatic
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So looks like it's basically official. Jarrett Stidham is our QB for 2020  :)

Also worth noting that they signed one of his former slot receivers who went undrafted
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2020, 07:44:50 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I thought Sony was really good when he had Develin & Gronk around. Obviously not saying much, as those guys rock, but I think with how poor our receiving core is (barring Sanu returns to his peak form & Harry takes a step forward) I think we’ll end up relying on Sony & White a lot.

Maybe Stidham is way better than I see though! Either way I think this year is going to be a retooling year - might be a weak team. Who knows. If we could grab Justin Fields next year as our QB for the future I’d be ecstatic

I watch a lot of NFL but don’t know much about college football. Didn’t the Pats draft a RB in last year’s draft as a pretty high pick but didn’t play. Can he be a good addition if healthy? I don’t remember what kind of back he is so maybe somebody can enlighten me.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2020, 07:56:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

The qb  you want next year is Trevor Lawrence. Justin field is good, but Lawrence is the guy who is locked as #1 overall pick and it’s not even questionable. Lawrence is a better pro style pocket passer. Fields is dual threat, but belichick always seems to prefers those pocket passers

Fields isn’t bad at all, but the Lawrence really looks special so imagine pairing him with the greatness of belichick

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2020, 08:12:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The qb  you want next year is Trevor Lawrence. Justin field is good, but Lawrence is the guy who is locked as #1 overall pick and it’s not even questionable. Lawrence is a better pro style pocket passer. Fields is dual threat, but belichick always seems to prefers those pocket passers

Fields isn’t bad at all, but the Lawrence really looks special so imagine pairing him with the greatness of belichick
Oh for sure, I just don’t know if we’ll be bad enough for the #1 pick - which Lawrence seems to have all locked up. Unless we start trading our defensive vets like Gilmore, McCourty & Hightower, we should be too good for the #1 pick.

I watch a lot of NFL but don’t know much about college football. Didn’t the Pats draft a RB in last year’s draft as a pretty high pick but didn’t play. Can he be a good addition if healthy? I don’t remember what kind of back he is so maybe somebody can enlighten me.
I like Harris. I think our health at RB (White, Michel, Burkehead & Bolden) really hurt his snaps. I think he’ll get more time this upcoming season, hopefully as the 3RB. IIRC he’s a strong almost
power back type, but I’m not sure
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2020, 09:54:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

He is a lesser version of Sony. So that's why they didn't need him last year.

« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2020, 06:31:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Oh for sure, I just don’t know if we’ll be bad enough for the #1 pick - which Lawrence seems to have all locked up. Unless we start trading our defensive vets like Gilmore, McCourty & Hightower, we should be too good for the #1 pick.
I doubt the Pats are bad enough to get Fields.  I can't see them finishing worse than 6-10.  That would have been no better than the 9th pick this year (no better than 8th year before, etc.).  Fields may not go 2 (behind Lawrence), but he is almost certainly a top 5 pick barring something dramatic happening (either injury or him just flaming out).  For example, Bleacher Report has him 2, Walter Football has him 3, Sporting news has him 5th, etc.  And a lot of where he goes is dependent on the team they have drafting in those spots.  The Lions for example have been a common landing spot for Fields (both Bleacher Report and Walter Football had him going to the Lions). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip