Author Topic: SI's Top 100 NBA Players of 2019  (Read 12246 times)

Re: SI's Top 100 NBA Players of 2019
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think it's worth noting that SI didn't put any East players in the top 5 overal and the top 5 players in the East are ranked as follows:

Giannis
Embiid
Kawhi
Al Horford
Kyrie Irving

SI thinks 2 of the East's best 5 players play in Boston. Not bad.
and when you consider that Boston's best player isn't one of the 2 they have ranked, it is even better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think it's worth noting that SI didn't put any East players in the top 5 overal and the top 5 players in the East are ranked as follows:

Giannis
Embiid
Kawhi
Al Horford
Kyrie Irving

SI thinks 2 of the East's best 5 players play in Boston. Not bad.
and when you consider that Boston's best player isn't one of the 2 they have ranked, it is even better.

A lot to look forward to.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 01:41:46 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Here's another way to slice it.  A reddit user broke down the list by position, though I'm not sure of his position source since bball-ref lists Brown as a SG, but let's just go with it for now.

Point Guard
1. Steph Curry
2. Russell Westbrook
3. Chris Paul
4. Damian Lillard
5. Kyrie Irving
6. Kyle Lowry
7. John Wall
8. Ben Simmons
9. Jrue Holiday
10. Kemba Walker

Shooting Guard
1. James Harden
2. Victor Oladipo
3. Klay Thompson
4. Bradley Beal
5. Khris Middleton
6. DeMar Derozan
7. C.J. McCollum
8. Donovan Mitchell
9. Gary Harris
10. Eric Gordon

Small Forward
1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Gordon Hayward
7. Jayson Tatum
8. Otto Porter
9. Jaylen Brown
10. Robert Covington

Power Forward
1. Anthony Davis
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo
3. Draymond Green
4. Kevin Love
5. Paul Millsap
6. Blake Griffin
7. Derrick Favors
8. Kristaps Porzingis
9. Dario Saric
10. Nikola Mirotic

Center
1. Joel Embiid
2. Rudy Gobert
3. Al Horford
4. Nikola Jokic
5. Karl-Anthony Towns
6. LaMarcus Aldridge
7. Clint Capela
8. Steven Adams
9. Marc Gasol
10. DeAndre Jordan

So this is what I'm thinking.  Next year, if Brown plays primarily SG and Tatum PF, could the C's have a top 5 player at every position?

At PG, Kyrie can maintain top 5.  Maybe Paul drops, but he could also pass Lillard, but  Simmons and Wall could jump up too.  Staying in the Top 5 is very possible.

At SG, this is the biggest stretch.  A lot of talent at 4-8, plus Booker or Fultz could jump up.  I struggle to see Brown getting slotted higher than 8.  Top 5 unlikely.

At SF,  I expect a jump from Kawhi, but I also think Hayward could overtake George or Butler with a great year.  George/Butler/Hayward are all really neck-and-neck.  Top 5 is possible.

At PF,  a healthy Porzingis could shoot up.  But I expect Love, Milsap, Griffin to decline, and I think Favors has peaked.  Not a lot of PF threats.  Tatum could land at #4 or #5.  A huge year gets him to #3.  Top 5 is possible.

At C, maybe Ayton's legit.  Jokic and KAT are legit.  Capale and Adams are both young, but I kind of feel they both may be near their ceiling.  How does Cousins look when he comes back?  How does Jordan look in Dallas?  With how these rankings love guys like Horford, I don't see him dropping past 5 next year if healthy, but it looks like he was #7 last year, so who knows how this breaks.  Top 5 possible.

So next year, if everything works out, I think it's conceivable that the C's could have a top 5 player at 4 positions.  And that one position without could have 2 All-Defensive players there in Brown and Smart.  Things definitely look good for C's fans.

Hard not to get excited thinking about some good and best case scenarios.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Here's another way to slice it.  A reddit user broke down the list by position, though I'm not sure of his position source since bball-ref lists Brown as a SG, but let's just go with it for now.

Point Guard
1. Steph Curry
2. Russell Westbrook
3. Chris Paul
4. Damian Lillard
5. Kyrie Irving
6. Kyle Lowry
7. John Wall
8. Ben Simmons
9. Jrue Holiday
10. Kemba Walker

Shooting Guard
1. James Harden
2. Victor Oladipo
3. Klay Thompson
4. Bradley Beal
5. Khris Middleton
6. DeMar Derozan
7. C.J. McCollum
8. Donovan Mitchell
9. Gary Harris
10. Eric Gordon

Small Forward
1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Gordon Hayward
7. Jayson Tatum
8. Otto Porter
9. Jaylen Brown
10. Robert Covington

Power Forward
1. Anthony Davis
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo
3. Draymond Green
4. Kevin Love
5. Paul Millsap
6. Blake Griffin
7. Derrick Favors
8. Kristaps Porzingis
9. Dario Saric
10. Nikola Mirotic

Center
1. Joel Embiid
2. Rudy Gobert
3. Al Horford
4. Nikola Jokic
5. Karl-Anthony Towns
6. LaMarcus Aldridge
7. Clint Capela
8. Steven Adams
9. Marc Gasol
10. DeAndre Jordan

So this is what I'm thinking.  Next year, if Brown plays primarily SG and Tatum PF, could the C's have a top 5 player at every position?

At PG, Kyrie can maintain top 5.  Maybe Paul drops, but he could also pass Lillard, but  Simmons and Wall could jump up too.  Staying in the Top 5 is very possible.

At SG, this is the biggest stretch.  A lot of talent at 4-8, plus Booker or Fultz could jump up.  I struggle to see Brown getting slotted higher than 8.  Top 5 unlikely.

At SF,  I expect a jump from Kawhi, but I also think Hayward could overtake George or Butler with a great year.  George/Butler/Hayward are all really neck-and-neck.  Top 5 is possible.

At PF,  a healthy Porzingis could shoot up.  But I expect Love, Milsap, Griffin to decline, and I think Favors has peaked.  Not a lot of PF threats.  Tatum could land at #4 or #5.  A huge year gets him to #3.  Top 5 is possible.

At C, maybe Ayton's legit.  Jokic and KAT are legit.  Capale and Adams are both young, but I kind of feel they both may be near their ceiling.  How does Cousins look when he comes back?  How does Jordan look in Dallas?  With how these rankings love guys like Horford, I don't see him dropping past 5 next year if healthy, but it looks like he was #7 last year, so who knows how this breaks.  Top 5 possible.

So next year, if everything works out, I think it's conceivable that the C's could have a top 5 player at 4 positions.  And that one position without could have 2 All-Defensive players there in Brown and Smart.  Things definitely look good for C's fans.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94828.0

Funny. I argued in the link above that Brown (and by extension Tatum) were already top 10 "wings" in the NBA, depending on how you define wing.

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Embiid top 10 is premature.  Pandering to Sixers fans.
He was 2nd Team All NBA and 12th in MVP voting last year.  He should only get better.

Plus who are the 2 players not named Kawhi (because he's only ranked outside the top 10 due to questions of health/reliability) that you'd take over him to move him out of the top 10?

Butler/George/Green/Gobert/Lillard?

I don't think that's pandering to Sixers fans.  If I had 1 pick to build a team for next year only, and my choices were those 6 players, I'd take Embiid every time.

Yeah, Kawhi and Kyrie if healthy could push Embiid out of the top 10, but even being annoyed with everything Sixers I've still got no problem with Embiid at 9, though I'll readily admit you can't credibly rank him any higher than that atm.  It's the best case, most optimistic scenario.
Kawhi yes.  Kyrie no.  Embiid was 2nd in DPOY too.  I think Embiid could and maybe should be ranked ahead of Paul. 

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2018, 12:26:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He was 2nd Team All NBA and 12th in MVP voting last year.  He should only get better.

Plus who are the 2 players not named Kawhi (because he's only ranked outside the top 10 due to questions of health/reliability) that you'd take over him to move him out of the top 10?

I don't think that's pandering to Sixers fans.  If I had 1 pick to build a team for next year only, and my choices were those 6 players, I'd take Embiid every time.

Yeah, Kawhi and Kyrie if healthy could push Embiid out of the top 10, but even being annoyed with everything Sixers I've still got no problem with Embiid at 9, though I'll readily admit you can't credibly rank him any higher than that atm.  It's the best case, most optimistic scenario.
Kawhi yes.  Kyrie no.  Embiid was 2nd in DPOY too.  I think Embiid could and maybe should be ranked ahead of Paul.
I don't think Embiid should be in the top 10. Overrated. Stops their offence routinely, takes a lot of bad shots, especially from the outside, and has an overrated defensive presence. Kawhi, Kyrie and Lillard all have arguments over him.

Kyle Lowry over Wall and DeRozan is hilarious
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2018, 07:09:06 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

And Kyrie was top 5-7 in MVP voting last year through 50-60 games, which is higher than 9, so yeah, Kyrie is certainly a possibility, mediocre defense and all.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2018, 07:24:33 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Point Guard
1. Steph Curry
2. Russell Westbrook
3. Chris Paul
4. Damian Lillard
5. Kyrie Irving
6. Kyle Lowry
7. John Wall
8. Ben Simmons
9. Jrue Holiday
10. Kemba Walker

Shooting Guard
1. James Harden
2. Victor Oladipo
3. Klay Thompson
4. Bradley Beal
5. Khris Middleton
6. DeMar Derozan
7. C.J. McCollum
8. Donovan Mitchell
9. Gary Harris
10. Eric Gordon

Small Forward
1. Lebron James
2. Kevin Durant
3. Jimmy Butler
4. Paul George
5. Kawhi Leonard
6. Gordon Hayward
7. Jayson Tatum
8. Otto Porter
9. Jaylen Brown
10. Robert Covington

Power Forward
1. Anthony Davis
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo
3. Draymond Green
4. Kevin Love
5. Paul Millsap
6. Blake Griffin
7. Derrick Favors
8. Kristaps Porzingis
9. Dario Saric
10. Nikola Mirotic

Center
1. Joel Embiid
2. Rudy Gobert
3. Al Horford
4. Nikola Jokic
5. Karl-Anthony Towns
6. LaMarcus Aldridge
7. Clint Capela
8. Steven Adams
9. Marc Gasol
10. DeAndre Jordan

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94828.0

Funny. I argued in the link above that Brown (and by extension Tatum) were already top 10 "wings" in the NBA, depending on how you define wing.

Yeah, I posted somewhere that the Celtics could have a top 6 positional player at every starting spot, but that SG would be the toughest in the short term.  I thought top 5 might be a stretch.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07