Author Topic: Hypothetically could we see 4 Celtics All-Stars?  (Read 5999 times)

Re: Hypothetically could we see 4 Celtics All-Stars?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Kemba and one of Tatum/Hayward. The other one might make it based on injury.

Unless C’s have far and away the best record in the East, I don’t see how 4 make it.
- LilRip

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Could happen....like it did in 2011.

If this team plays care-free and for one another - like it did in 2017-18 - and GH returns to Utah form - and Tatum / JB makes jumps..then it could happen.

We'd be looking at around a 60 win pace if this happens.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No.  I believe Kemba will be the only one and I'm not so sure that is even a given.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
No.  I believe Kemba will be the only one and I'm not so sure that is even a given.

Hypothetically, the answer is no also. That's why it's a hypothetical.

It's possible but unlikely. The Cs would have to be the top seed ala the Hawks a few years ago.

I am guessing Walker and Tatum could be.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 12:38:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

What Would happen for Kemba walker to go from a starter to all the way off the roster aside from injury? Russell and Leonard left the conference and it would be a lot more surprising to me if Lowry made it again. Would have to be a real disaster for a guy that started last year to fall all the way off the roster in a weaker conference.

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I think one of Tatum/Hayward will make it. I don't think Brown has any chance. I think Kemba is a lock barring injury.

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

What Would happen for Kemba walker to go from a starter to all the way off the roster aside from injury? Russell and Leonard left the conference and it would be a lot more surprising to me if Lowry made it again. Would have to be a real disaster for a guy that started last year to fall all the way off the roster in a weaker conference.
I don't think it is all that likely, but merely possible.  For it to happen, I think Boston would need to be a more middling team, which is possible, with Kemba's numbers dropping a bit.  I don't think it is a given he comes in and meshes right away either.  It isn't just injuries that lead to a Hayward situation, there are often feeling out periods.  I think it would take a rise from some people, but I could certainly see Irving, Beal, Simmons, and then one of Oladipo/Brogdon easily being able to put together better stats (I wouldn't just count Lowry out either though he has probably seen better days), that would put Kemba at at best 5th in that scenario.  You then have guys like Butler and Middleton who are probably SF's, but maybe not (I think there is a real chance that Middleton starts at SG for the Bucks this year with Bledsoe, Giannis, Lopez, and Illyasova).  And younger players like Trae Young or Zach LaVine that could have a breakout season (and if their teams have better than expected team success that elevates those type of candidates).  There are also always weird seasons that come out of nowhere. 

Again, barring injury I don't think it is all that likely that Kemba misses out, but it is absolutely possible, especially given the transition to a new team, new roster, new coach, etc.   

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You have to remember that All-star selection is also about reputation.  That makes it unlikely that Brown or Tatum would make it this year even if they have an outstanding season.  Most likely if they kill it this year, then next year if they maintain that, they could be selected to their first all-star team.

In my opinion Kemba Walker is pretty much the only Celtic I can see as an all-star this season.  But I want to see Tatum make big improvements to put himself into the conversation and I want to see a bounce back year from Hayward.  If Jay and Jay can kill it this year, you can expect to see them as all-stars by next season.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 01:53:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
You have to remember that All-star selection is also about reputation.  That makes it unlikely that Brown or Tatum would make it this year even if they have an outstanding season.  Most likely if they kill it this year, then next year if they maintain that, they could be selected to their first all-star team.

In my opinion Kemba Walker is pretty much the only Celtic I can see as an all-star this season.  But I want to see Tatum make big improvements to put himself into the conversation and I want to see a bounce back year from Hayward.  If Jay and Jay can kill it this year, you can expect to see them as all-stars by next season.

It feels like Tatum is getting some hype and reputation on the TEAM USA stuff right now. Was just listening to the the Ringer NBA podcast (national show) and they were talking about him starting. He is actually one of the top 5 or 6 name guys on the team most likely.

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

It feels like Tatum is getting some hype and reputation on the TEAM USA stuff right now. Was just listening to the the Ringer NBA podcast (national show) and they were talking about him starting. He is actually one of the top 5 or 6 name guys on the team most likely.
Yeah I don't think name recognition keeps him off, I think it is much more about the team having 3 SF's and all of them sharing the load and splitting up the stats.  I just don't see any of them getting to the right amount of ppg, rpg, apg, etc. and especially with my belief that the C's aren't going to be a super elite team overall.  If you are the Bucks or Raptors last year, then Middleton or Lowry can have slightly lesser stats and still make the all star team as the 2nd best player on an elite team, but I just don't think Boston is going to be one of those super elite teams (i.e. not around a 60 win pace) and thus to make the all star team the 2nd best player is going to need to crush the stats and that just doesn't seem all that likely to me.

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
People used to think you couldn't win with a score-first point guard, or without true inside offensive presence, or with two shoot first guards, or by playing small-ball. Then the Warriors won and their team success gave them 3 all-stars.

People used to think you need two great players to win a championship, but the Raptors only had one.

People used to think you could win with a space system focused on three point shooting, then the Spurs won.

I'm not saying the Cs are as good as the Warriors, Raptors, and Spurs. or there are direct comparisons to players. I'm just making the point that winning championship teams defy conventions in the team-building process all the time with success.

It seems to me the next great conventions that teams are trying to defy is to 1) get as big as possible in a flip of the small-ball era (the Raptors already arguably succeeded at that). Or 2) play a group of versatile players who can all do the same things and share the ball well.

Maybe Boston makes a trade eventually, but right now (and last year) it seemed like they were trying to defy convention by playing three small forwards together (and a big man in Al Horford who played like a small forward). There's plenty of blame to go around for why that failed, including the team-building done by Ainge. But I'm not sure they should give up on that yet.

Imagine a team that can attack you from every position on the court. Imagine a team where all the players can shoot, drive, pass, run the pick-and-roll, etc. Imagine a team that of guys that can regularly (not just occasionally) play defense successfully on ball, off ball, and inside.

That team is nasty. We've seen hints of it, or partially fulfillments of it with successful teams, but not the full iteration of that play style.

I think it's worth more time, especially if there is not a clear opportunity for advancement in roster construction where you are winning the trade.

What does this have to do with this thread? If their gameplan succeeds, we will have 3-4 all-stars.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:37:23 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is like deja vu all over again.  Did we go through this 4 all star exercise last year?

Let's just let it all play out and see what happens.

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2019, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Hypothetically, I could wake up tomorrow looking exactly like George Clooney.

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Hypothetically, I could wake up tomorrow looking exactly like George Clooney.
That just isn't true.  Boston could get 4 all stars.

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 04:14:31 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I say Walker be this year only..Tatum will get plenty in future
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin