Author Topic: KG wins DPY  (Read 15458 times)

Re: KG wins DPY
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
There has not been another player this season that has transformed a team's defensive identity like Garnett has for the Boston Celtics. He may not lead the league in shot blocking or finish in the top five in rebounding like Marcus Camby, but Garnett's impact on the defensive end goes far beyond the stat sheet. It's the fact that he is always focused, always talking, always directing, always making the right rotations, and always leading by example. Besides, how many seven-footers pressure point guards full-court with their own guard? Just one, folks, and that special someone is "The Big Ticket." In addition to that, he held his individual opponent to a league-best 13% below their scoring average night in, night out.

The fact of the matter is that Kevin Garnett is the most versatile and complete defensive player in the NBA, and he is finally getting to show the world that trait once again, as he is finally back on a top-tier team. Congratulations, KG, on this well-deserved award.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 01:26:59 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
This is just a consolation prize for KG, because the voters know they have no intention of voting KG for MVP. :-\

Still say Kobe is not worthy of the award.  He's the best player, but either CP3 or KG is the MVP.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
There has not been another player this season that has transformed a team's defensive identity like Garnett has for the Boston Celtics. He may not lead the league in shot blocking or finish in the top five in rebounding like Marcus Camby, but Garnett's impact on the defensive end goes far beyond the stat sheet. It's the fact that he is always focused, always talking, always directing, always making the right rotations, and always leading by example. Besides, how many seven-footers pressure point guards full-court with their own guard? Just one, folks, and that special someone is "The Big Ticket." In addition to that, he held his individual opponent to a league-best 13% below their scoring average night in, night out.

The fact of the matter is that Kevin Garnett is the most versatile and complete defensive player in the NBA, and he is finally getting to show the world that trait once again, as he is finally back on a top-tier team. Congratulations, KG, on this well-deserved award.

...and congratulations, CB32, on a well-deserved TP for an excellent explanation.

Great work, KG!   ;D

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Do you reckon this clinches KG not getting the MVP?

Congrats to KG.  Well deserved.

unfortunatly yes, i do, espically since it was such a blowout. The voters might as well have stamped this the "sorry kevin, it's kobe's year" award.

Doesn't change the fact im extremly happy for him, gratz kevin!

now, pierce better not get jobbed out of an all defensive team spot! ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
1:55 pm: ESPN has article on KG as DPoY, but has him listed as having won the award two years in a row (great editing).  What's the over/under on how soon they correct it?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3358966

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 01:55:02 PM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
There are statistics to back up Garnett as a deserving DPOY.  And not just team statistics.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=All-Defense-080410&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dhollinger_john%26page%3dAll-Defense-080410

Nonetheless, we have a couple of numbers that can prove useful. One of my favorites is "points saved," with the idea being to compare what a player's team gave up when he was on the court (numbers from 82games.com) to what it was expected to give up based on previous results. The latter figure can be calculated by taking the minutes a player played in a game, multiplying it by the team's points allowed in that game and dividing by 48 (or 53 for an overtime game).

Garnett lead the league with a "points saved" of 8.22

First team and defensive player of the year: Kevin Garnett, Boston (8.22)

Yes, Garnett's defensive stats have been huge, but they tell only a fraction of the story. Boston was a middling defensive team a year ago, and it wasn't clear that trading for Ray Allen made it any better.

In other words, the entire jump from 18th in defensive efficiency a year ago to third all-time this season can pretty much be laid at the feet of Garnett. His intensity on the court is palpable, but perhaps even more important is how he has affected Pierce and the bench guys. I'm not sure whether that translates to MVP -- not when Chris Paul is saving basketball in New Orleans -- but if he doesn't win the defensive player of the year award, there needs to be an investigation, because he's been absolutely spectacular.

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 02:00:01 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Can anyone tell me when is MVP to be awarded?

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Can anyone tell me when is MVP to be awarded?

The presentation is usually during game 1 of the winner's 2nd round playoff series.  That player's team usually has a press conference a day or two before that.  The news usually leaks a day or two before that.  SO.... expect in first thing next week, if not sooner.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

I believe the stat was that he help his man, while guarding him one on one, to 13% below the league average FG% for power forwards.  Also, Wyc (who stated this fact) didn't say if it was the best in the league, but did state how much better it was that Kobe, Paul, or LeBron for their respective positions.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I thought Tim Duncan was the best defensive player in the league but Kevin Garnett was a credible candidate.

This is easily KG's best year defensively. This is the smartest and the most discplined I've ever seen him on defense.

Thank goodness Camby didn't win it again.

Battier has my vote for the best perimeter defender in the league but I have so much trouble comparing the value of a perimeter defender versus a big, I can't decide whether he deserved more or less kudos than the other two. He's the best stopper of the three of them, I'll say that.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 02:42:33 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
This means no shot at MVP, but who cares, it's a good award, but we all know awards mean nothing, there's just one trophy worth playing for.

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

This is easily KG's best year defensively. This is the smartest and the most discplined I've ever seen him on defense.

I'd have to disagree with this.  I think his overall defense on some of the Wolves teams that basically gave up 96 points per game despite featuring Wally, Terrell Brandon/Troy Hudson, Rasho Nesterovic was more impressive than what he did this year.  He's been just as active, vocal, and intense on defense this year as he has been every year this decade.  Back then though, he was still quick and explosive enough to shut down guys like TMac and Kobe for long stretches of games.  Also, when the zone was first allowed in the NBA, it was widely considered that the Wolves were the best at it (largely because of Flip Saunders' college and CBA coaching experience), which Flip credited to running a "Box and KG" and just letting KG's never-before-seen combo of length, athleticism, and quickness cause havoc around the perimeter. 

In 2003-2004, KG averaged 11 defensive boards a game, 2.2 blocks, 1.5 steals, and the Wolves gave up fewer than 90 point per game.  I think that is his most impressive on paper, but the PPG part is probably due to finally having some decent perimeter defenders (Sprewell and especiall Hassell).  I think his defensive prime was between 2001-2004, he just never won because of guys like Wallace and Artest.  He definitely used intangibles (being vocal, intense, and passionate) to his advantage this year to make up for any lost physical ability.

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »

Offline bringbackcousy

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 20
Here is the break down if anybody wants to see it.

Player, Team             1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Kevin Garnett, Boston    90 12  7 493
Marcus Camby,  Denver    12 32 22 178
Shane Battier, Boston    11 33 21 175
Bruce Bowen,   San Ant    7  7 24 80
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lak    -- 10 10 40
Josh Smith, Atlanta        1 6 11 34
Chris Paul, New Orleans     1 4 7 24
Dwight Howard, Orlando      1 4 7 24
Tim Duncan, San Antonio    -- 6 4 22
Tayshaun Prince, Detroi    -- 3 4 13
Tyson Chandler, New Orle    1 1 2 10
Rasheed Wallace, Detroi    -- 3 -- 9
Richard Hamilton, Detro    -- 1 -- 3
Samuel Dalembert, Phil    -- 1  -- 3
Raja Bell, Phoenix        -- 1 --  3
Rajon Rondo, Boston      --  -- -- 1
Chauncey Billups, Detro    -- -- 1 1
Kyle Lowry, Memphis        -- -- 1 1
Ron Artest, Sacramento     -- -- 1 1
Andrei Kirilenko, Utah     -- -- 1 1

p.s. how do Rondo get a point with no votes?

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 03:10:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I'd have to disagree with this.  I think his overall defense on some of the Wolves teams that basically gave up 96 points per game despite featuring Wally, Terrell Brandon/Troy Hudson, Rasho Nesterovic was more impressive than what he did this year.  He's been just as active, vocal, and intense on defense this year as he has been every year this decade.  Back then though, he was still quick and explosive enough to shut down guys like TMac and Kobe for long stretches of games.  Also, when the zone was first allowed in the NBA, it was widely considered that the Wolves were the best at it (largely because of Flip Saunders' college and CBA coaching experience), which Flip credited to running a "Box and KG" and just letting KG's never-before-seen combo of length, athleticism, and quickness cause havoc around the perimeter. 

In 2003-2004, KG averaged 11 defensive boards a game, 2.2 blocks, 1.5 steals, and the Wolves gave up fewer than 90 point per game.  I think that is his most impressive on paper, but the PPG part is probably due to finally having some decent perimeter defenders (Sprewell and especiall Hassell).  I think his defensive prime was between 2001-2004, he just never won because of guys like Wallace and Artest.  He definitely used intangibles (being vocal, intense, and passionate) to his advantage this year to make up for any lost physical ability.

He was more active and athletic but he wasn't as smart

Hard to explain. Thibodeau has reigned him in a bit, and better quality defenders around him is a huge difference maker, KG is less inclined to .... hmm .... His spacing is better on his help defense. He had a habit of jumping out on someone, getting all up in his grill, and letting the spacing fall apart behind him.

I don't know if I explained that well. I just don't his defense was as smart as before. His positioning is far superior in my book. Athletically he was capable of more things, and his activity was greater, but I don't think his intelligence was as good. His reactions to what was happening weren't as discplined as they are now. He does a much better job of staying within the team concept, staying within the play, and just making the shot as difficult as possible instead of concentrating on where the ball is.

I didn't I explained that well, don't take it too literally. To sum it up, I think this is his best season because I think he's smarter now on defense than he's ever been before and I think it makes a greater difference than his previous athleticism.

I'd take today's KG defensively over KG off any of his Minnesota years. I think his smarts out-value his added athleticism/activity. I don't think I explained it well, I think it's my best attempt so I'll leave it at that.

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

He was more active and athletic but he wasn't as smart

Hard to explain. Thibodeau has reigned him in a bit, and better quality defenders around him is a huge difference maker, KG is less inclined to .... hmm .... His spacing is better on his help defense. He had a habit of jumping out on someone, getting all up in his grill, and letting the spacing fall apart behind him.

I don't know if I explained that well. I just don't his defense was as smart as before. His positioning is far superior in my book. Athletically he was capable of more things, and his activity was greater, but I don't think his intelligence was as good. His reactions to what was happening weren't as discplined as they are now. He does a much better job of staying within the team concept, staying within the play, and just making the shot as difficult as possible instead of concentrating on where the ball is.

I didn't I explained that well, don't take it too literally. To sum it up, I think this is his best season because I think he's smarter now on defense than he's ever been before and I think it makes a greater difference than his previous athleticism.

I'd take today's KG defensively over KG off any of his Minnesota years. I think his smarts out-value his added athleticism/activity. I don't think I explained it well, I think it's my best attempt so I'll leave it at that.

No, I get what you're saying, it was explained fine.  I think I just think his extra abilities back then slightly outweigh his added intelligence this year, while you think the intelligence outweighs the extra ability.  Comes down to opinion, so I can't say who's right or wrong.  I just think a big part of his better "intelligence" this year is due to the comfort of solid defender's around him.  In Minnesota, he played with wreckless abandon as if thinking "if I don't stop all 5 guys by myself, they will score," and some of the times that seemed absolutely true. 

In the past, I saw enough stretches where on a single possession, he would stop the ball up top and force a pass, rotate and contest the shot, then go in and elevate above everyone to grab the board.  He just isn't capable of doing that regularly this year... but again, he doesn't have too.  He must love that he can focus on a few key areas and not worry about doing anything and everything.