Author Topic: My Only Real Concern From Last Night  (Read 7697 times)

My Only Real Concern From Last Night
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I was only able to watch the 2nd half, but at least while it was still a bit of a game early in the 3rd, I noticed one thing that was someone disappointing.  Giving up offensive boards.  The Hawks seemed to get 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th changes on several possessions while the game was still within reach.  If this was a better team, they probably would've gotten right back in it with all those opportunities, but luckily the Hawks were pretty cold.

Most of these occasions seemed to be when KG was stepping out to defend a shot, leaving the defensive glass primarily to Perk... and I hear Ticket yelling frustratingly after a couple of these.  But there were times when he was in their too and the Hawks still grabbed the boards.

Hopefully boxing out is something they will address before game/round 2.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: My Only Real Concern From Last Night
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Horford took advantage of the Celtics help defense. 

Celtics as a team need to do a better job blocking out. 

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:34:41 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree.  Although I am not worried because of this.  I think the Hawks are just a long, athletic team, who know how to hit the glass...but they can't do a whole lot else.  It would only become a problem when they play a team like the Wizards, who are also long and athletic and hit the glass...but can then hit the open shot as well.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:49:48 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

I wrote about this earlier, but I strongly believe that Perkins picking up two quick fouls (and KG also getting a few early fouls) the Hawks had a strong advantage inside.  If Perkins is in the game, I think things play out a bit differently.

Needless to say, Doc has some stuff to focus on in the next two practices.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I wrote about this earlier, but I strongly believe that Perkins picking up two quick fouls (and KG also getting a few early fouls) the Hawks had a strong advantage inside.  If Perkins is in the game, I think things play out a bit differently.

Needless to say, Doc has some stuff to focus on in the next two practices.

This is very true.  I actually think Perk was the key to the run in the 4th quarter.  He just is so important to the defense out there.  KG is a great defender and leader out there, but when he doesn't have Perk next to him, so that they both can make up for each others gambles, then the C's defense is very beatable.  But together, they are probably the best 4/5 defense combo in the league (notice I didn't say "interior", because the greatness of these guys is that they can thrive just as much on the perimeter as they can inside).

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:11:21 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Wish i had read your thread before i started my own,would have save me some writing BT ;D...I see it the same as you.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
So if the Celtics box out they win by 33 instead of 23? So basically you are saying you are concerned we didn't embarrass a team by wider margin. :-\

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So if the Celtics box out they win by 33 instead of 23? So basically you are saying you are concerned we didn't embarrass a team by wider margin. :-\

No. 

We saw something the Celtics can improve upon moving forward.  There are three other teams the Celtics will have to beat.  And all of them will be better equipped to hurt the Celtics with offensive rebounds. 

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
naw...powe and kev are better than perk and kev....more energy...

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »

Offline DrD

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

No. 

We saw something the Celtics can improve upon moving forward.  There are three other teams the Celtics will have to beat.  And all of them will be better equipped to hurt the Celtics with offensive rebounds. 

Precisely. Well said.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

No. 

Why do you think other teams would be better? Being a better team does not mean being better at offensive rebounding.

Going in to the game, offensive rebounding is what Doc repeatedly mentioned would be the problem with Atlanta. That is their game.

If the other team is crashing the boards hard, we should be able to get fast break points off of them. That is the tradeoff when a team tries for a lot of offensive boards.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yup ... absolutely ... gotta box these guys out better and stop giving them 3 or 4 chances to make a basket. I'm sure that was the number one agenda on Doc's whiteboard today, and I expect to see those adjustments made on Wednesday.

It's gonna be tough to out-rebound such an athletic team, but believe it or not, the rebounding was not as bad as it seemed. We ended up with 13 offensive boards and 27 defensive, and the Wiz-kids had 16 offensive, and 25 defensive, (only a difference of 1 total).

So, I think it seemed worse than it was, because the offensive rebounds they got, came in groups of 3 or 4, and stood out for that reason. With a little adjustment, we can really dominate the boards, and with similar defense, can control the game much better.

The offense was stale on Sunday, too, and kept losing enegry when Sam came in. They seemed to work out of that, though, and I think the rotation and pick-and-roll will be more effective Wednesday, too ... as it was lacking yesterday.

The important thing is keeping this series in the proper perspective, (taking it one game at a time, making slight adjustments, and being huge defensively), and I think they're doing that. This is the kind of team that can do anything if they want it badly enough ... and I have no doubt of that!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
naw...powe and kev are better than perk and kev....more energy...

More energy, but less discipline.  I love Powe, but he just is not a great team defender.  He has become a passable one, but Perkins has become an exceptional one.  This also makes a big difference on the offensive end, because Perkins defense allows Garnett and Rondo to be more aggressive, which leads to more turnovers, and long rebounds (from bad, long shots) that lead to fast break opportunities.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 09:05:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No. 

Why do you think other teams would be better? Being a better team does not mean being better at offensive rebounding.

Going in to the game, offensive rebounding is what Doc repeatedly mentioned would be the problem with Atlanta. That is their game.

If the other team is crashing the boards hard, we should be able to get fast break points off of them. That is the tradeoff when a team tries for a lot of offensive boards.

Look at Cleveland.  A very strong rebounding team.  But they have better weapons then Atlanta to hurt the Celtics on 2nd chance points. 

Strong offensive rebounding can turn a great defense into a average defense. 

The players just need to do a better job of boxing out. 

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 10:43:38 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Perk could and should be an extremely dominant force in this series, the Hawks have no one that can match his physicality, the C's should learn from their mistakes in game 1. I would be very surprised if Doc doesn't have them boxing out on every attempt in game 2.