Author Topic: Rodney Rogers Hurt  (Read 6458 times)

Re: Rodney Rogers Hurt
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
weird, just got off the phone with a client who's son got hurt on an ATV this weekend.

Moral of the story:  ATV's are silly

Lots of people get hurt using steak knives at dinner, so let's label them silly as well...

Blame the inexperienced, untrained rider who is usually out of control, not the machine. I have rode 3 and 4 wheelers for years and years and NEVER have had an accident. That's because I know what I am doing and don't push it past my ability...

I hope RR is doing fine. I live right here and should drop in and see him!

Fair enough.  I just always found ATV's sorta silly.  I'm sure they're a ball to cruise around on.

If the news of him being paralyzed is accurate, I am sure he and his family would agree with your view though! How sad. I hope it isn't the case.

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3744237

ESPN confirmed that Rodney is paralyzed. What a terrible tragedy. Looks like he was doing some good things post-NBA too.

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 10:33:19 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

ESPN confirmed that Rodney is paralyzed. What a terrible tragedy. Looks like he was doing some good things post-NBA too.

Oh man, that's terrible news.  My thoughts are definitely with him.  He was one of my favs on that '02 team and whenever he got the ball beyond the arc, there seemed to be a collective pause throughout the crowd in anticipation of another big three.

Always a fan of his.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Thanks for the link.  What a bummer.  The guy was in a position to do something he loved without worrying about the financial aspect, but doing it with a good attitude.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Sad, sad news  :'(

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 10:38:02 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCy8q2p5Jw

I'll see if I can find the dunk he had with the Nuggets when Dikembe was a rookie (I think).  It's one of my all time favorite dunks
Yup

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i5cDPVGD3I

Man...Everything you see about him makes you like the guy more...He seems about as well equipped as imaginable to face what he's up against for the rest of his of life.
Yup

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 11:29:27 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

:'( Man, for those who didn't actually read the ESPN report, he sounds like such a cool, down-to-earth guy.  I loved Rodney when he was here, but he sounds like a great guy off the court too.  Not that I'd ever wish this on anybody, but he just sounds like the anti-big time athlete, someone you'd never want bad things to happen to:

He was also volunteering as a girls' basketball coach at a Durham middle school and had set up a computer lab at a city public housing complex, according to the report.

Rodney isn't the type to sit around twiddling his thumbs. There aren't any jobs he considers too small for him," Williams said, according to the News and Observer. "He started his own trucking company and was usually the lead driver. He'd be out there driving to the quarry at 3:30 in the morning."

"I didn't even know he had lots of money. He is very friendly, very concerned, very conscientious," Balzarano said, according to the report. "We chose him because of his ethics and his attitude. He was highly motivated. He was promoted to supervisor six months ago."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How is it that great people like Rodney have an accident and get paralyzed and yet idiots like Plaxico Burress misfire a gun, shooting themselves and only come away with a scratch?

God works in very mysterious ways sometimes.

I will be praying for you, Rodney, and I hope that one day with much therapy, work, luck, and love you will be able to walk into the Garden to a standing ovation.

Such a sad story! I hate seeing when the good guys take it on the chin. There's just so few of them left.

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
It wouldn't shock me given his personality, NBA level of fame, financial situation, and his love for trucks etc... that he becomes a Christopher Reeve type, but focused on championing the advancement of wheelchair paraplegics or something.

One thing at a time though.  He's got a long road ahead of him.
Yup

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
Is it confirmed that this is permanent, or could it be only temporary?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »

Offline TripleThreat

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
This is terrible news. My thoughts and prayers go out to Rodney and his family. He sounds like such an amazing, selfless person. It pulled on my heartstrings when I read that ESPN article. I wish him best of luck with his therapy.

Rodney Rogers paralyzed
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »

Offline Bostonsportfan

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 2
This is a sad thing to have happen to Rodney Rogers, who was a key component to our run to the Conference Finals in the 2002 playoffs. I think everyone should say a pray for him.