Author Topic: Why is Rondo isolating at the End of Quarters?!  (Read 8066 times)

Why is Rondo isolating at the End of Quarters?!
« on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I have noticed a trend so far this season that really baffles me. When we are taking the last shot of a quarter Rondo is isolating his guy at the top to take the last shot. Teams are not doubling the guy knowing he isn't going to get all the way to the rim, which forces him to shoot the pull-up jumper at the buzzer. Since we all know how great a shooter Rondo is  :-\ this seems to be a terrible idea. I haven't seen him make one all year in this situation. It's likely that trend will continue. Why on earth did we go away from PP having the ball and taking his man in this situation?! Even Ray would be a much better option than Rondo. It makes no sense. If these guys hit 1-3 even that will make a difference in close games. What gives Doc?!

Re: Why is Rondo isolating at the End of Quarters?!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I haven't seen this happen that much; it's almost always Pierce in an iso situation that I've seen. Rondo can get to the rim, but I would think you wouldn't even want that because he's a terrible free throw shooter. He definitely shouldn't be isolating.
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:30 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I've definitely noticed that and it bugs the crap out of me.  Although I remember him doing it last year as well and I was equally bugged then.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I have noticed a trend so far this season that really baffles me. When we are taking the last shot of a quarter Rondo is isolating his guy at the top to take the last shot. Teams are not doubling the guy knowing he isn't going to get all the way to the rim, which forces him to shoot the pull-up jumper at the buzzer. Since we all know how great a shooter Rondo is  :-\ this seems to be a terrible idea. I haven't seen him make one all year in this situation. It's likely that trend will continue. Why on earth did we go away from PP having the ball and taking his man in this situation?! Even Ray would be a much better option than Rondo. It makes no sense. If these guys hit 1-3 even that will make a difference in close games. What gives Doc?!

I noticed this too.  Quite puzzling.  May Rondo is doing it on his own?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 11:06:06 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I haven't seen this happen that much; it's almost always Pierce in an iso situation that I've seen. Rondo can get to the rim, but I would think you wouldn't even want that because he's a terrible free throw shooter. He definitely shouldn't be isolating.

I have watched every minute of every game and I don't recall more than once that PP has done this in this season. I know Rondo has done it 10-15 times minimum including once last night. Last season PP did it every time. You are 100% right about the free throw shooting part. Another reason he shouldn't be handling it in this situation.

On that same note, I hate when teams have 40 seconds on the shot clock and go 2 for 1. They launch up 2 bad shots which usually both miss, instead of taking one good one. Another pet peeve of mine!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:07:20 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I haven't noticed it much either. I wouldn't mind it so much if hes playing as well as he has been lately. I think the idea behind having ball in Rondo's hand at the end of quarters is that he'll create a good shot, not necessarily for him to score. Rondo can get where he wants against the majority of teams and defenders. As for free throw shooting, while Rondo hasn't been a great free throw shooter he's improved quite a bit lately. He's been hitting 75% of his shots from the line in the last 10 games.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »

Offline fatherscott

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9

I have watched every minute of every game and I don't recall more than once that PP has done this in this season. I know Rondo has done it 10-15 times minimum including once last night. Last season PP did it every time. You are 100% right about the free throw shooting part. Another reason he shouldn't be handling it in this situation.

On that same note, I hate when teams have 40 seconds on the shot clock and go 2 for 1. They launch up 2 bad shots which usually both miss, instead of taking one good one. Another pet peeve of mine!

I definitely haven't watched every minute, so maybe you're right. I'm also a huge Rondo guy so maybe I'm just tuning it out, since it's such a bad idea!
Formerly scotthp49 at the old site. Didn't have much to say last year, but I missed you guys too much.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I noticed this too.  Quite puzzling.  May Rondo is doing it on his own?

defintly not, if he was doc would be on him about it, when they have the last shot you can see doc up telling rondo to take his time.

I think the idea is as manup said, that he can get someone a shot off his drive when someone comes to help the man he beat off the dribble.

ona  side note EJ, TP,  i agree with you, ive never understood either the "lets take a quick horrid shot so we get the last one!" play or the iso until the clock is at 5 and then try to do something play, even more so at the end of games.

run your offense and get a good look IMO.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:23:00 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:16:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
EJ is right, it is happening more this year. Towards the end of last year there was a definite shift from the Pierce iso, end of the quarter play to having Rondo with the ball. The trend has continued this year. Last year what occurred was teams collapsed on his penetration and Rondo found open people or a lane. It wasn't always successful but how many end of the quarter plays are. This year the guard is playing way off Rondo daring him to shoot and the other players are covering the other Celtics mid way between the perimeter and the paint. The play has gone down many, many times exactly as EJ has described.

I think this is one area that Doc truly suffers in. His end of quarter, run the time down, iso plays are awful and always have been no matter who has the ball in his hands. Run a real play for Pete's sake.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 11:20:03 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I haven't noticed it much either. I wouldn't mind it so much if hes playing as well as he has been lately. I think the idea behind having ball in Rondo's hand at the end of quarters is that he'll create a good shot, not necessarily for him to score. Rondo can get where he wants against the majority of teams and defenders. As for free throw shooting, while Rondo hasn't been a great free throw shooter he's improved quite a bit lately. He's been hitting 75% of his shots from the line in the last 10 games.

He has definitely been hitting his free throws a bit better, but he is the one taking all these shots. In order for him to create a shot for someone else he needs to drive and dish. Their man needs to double on his drive so he can kick it out. That isn't happening. He is just dribbling to 5-6 seconds and throwing up a bad shot himself. I blame Doc for not stopping it, and PP for not going and taking the ball from him. You know Rondo's confidence is high enough that he thinks he can hit it. Stats say the opposite.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Well he did make the running the 3 the other night. I think it's a very sound idea although I hope he drives, draws and dishes off of it.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Well he did make the running the 3 the other night. I think it's a very sound idea although I hope he drives, draws and dishes off of it.

If I am not mistaken the running three wasn't him isolating and dribbling the clock down to 5-6 seconds, it was a last second heave flying up the court. That is a different thing. The answer to this is that he shouldn't be driving and dishing at all. PP should have the ball, take his man off the dribble, and pull up for a good fadeaway shot like he has hit tons of times throughout his career. THAT is the most effective highest percentage shot we can take in that situation. That's what you have to look for.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

. I blame Doc for not stopping it, and PP for not going and taking the ball from him. You know Rondo's confidence is high enough that he thinks he can hit it. Stats say the opposite.

I think its what doc wants them to be doing thier, i find it hard to belive Rondo is just doing it over and over and Doc is mute on the subject.

I think that they think tis a good look. I agree with you that it isn't at all, but unfortuanly were not the coachs :/

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:46:30 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Nah I prefer the ball in Rondo's hands maybe creating for Paul but, we've seen plenty of wasted end of quarters isolation by Paul as well.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Nah I prefer the ball in Rondo's hands maybe creating for Paul but, we've seen plenty of wasted end of quarters isolation by Paul as well.

If he was creating for someone then fine, but if you are the other team then you do exactly what has been said earlier. You step back on Rondo and dare him to shoot, and then the other guys stay with their man. THAT is what is happening. He isn't creating anything for anyone, because the other team knows their best bet is to let the guy pull up and let it go. HE has been shooting the ball every time. No one else.