Author Topic: Dylan Windler  (Read 3626 times)

Re: Dylan Windler
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm all for getting better 3 point shooting. Don't know if this kid can get his shot off in NBA though. 

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It looks like he's worth a look, unfortunately isn't our 2nd rounder going to be right around #50?  Seems like he'd be off the board by then.
You can buy a 2nd rounder easily enough to get someone you want in the 2nd. I saw Windler once this year, against Maryland, and he was fantastic, though, to be honest, there isn't a lot of talent on that Maryland team.

But if Danny can somehow get into top of second and nab him, I am all for that. Nothing wrong with having a possible dead eye wing shooter off the bench who can rebound on an elite level.

I used to think that, but then I wondered why Danny didn't do it last year when Jalen Brunson & Mitchell Robinson were obvious choices in the 2nd round, and surprise surprise, our 2 big needs this year are a backup PG and a backup big who can protect the rim and rebound.
Danny already drafted Williams. There was no need for Robinson with Horford, Theis, Baynes, Morris, Yabusele and Williams already on the roster.

As for Brunson, Danny decided to go for Wanamaker than a questionable 2nd rounder. My guess is if Wanamaker was given 21 minutes a game on a horrible team, he could put up numbers like Brunson. I have no problem with going with Wanamaker. Brunson would have spent the entire season in Maine if he was on this roster.

Only about 2 of those bigs you mentioned can actually get minutes in the playoffs without crashing and burning.  Taking a flier on Robinson would have been smart if for no other reason than the cash spent on the pick is worth nothing, and he could clearly be flipped for an asset. 

Brunson could have potentially been on a cost controlled 3-4 year, $2m deal like Semi instead of a 1 year, near $2m deal like Wanamaker. 

But that's not really my point.  My point is, the assumption that anyone can just buy a 2nd rounder may be faulty at this point.  We had many 2nd round rotation rookies in '18 and we should have bought a pick if we could have.  In fact, very few if any high 2nds were sold.  That should tell you something.
Just because Ainge didn't buy a second rounder to draft binkies of your's doesn't mean that teams don't sell off second rounders and that Danny wouldn't do it for a player HE LIKES.

And it did happen last year. The 4th and 7th picks in the 2nd round were traded for other second rounders and cash on draft night. In 2017, on draft night, the 1st and 5th pick in the 2nd round were moved for other second rounders and cash. Swapping 2nds and cash is basically buying a pick.

Moving a 2nd for another 2nd and cash is not even remotely the same thing as just "buy(ing) a 2nd rounder."

One is a purchase, the other is a trade.  Your examples are neither here nor there.
Okay, then change purchasing to easily making a meaningless swap of second rounders or purchasing a pick.

It's all semantics. The point is if the Celtics want to get a second round pick on draft night to select someone Danny values, it's extremely easy and happens all the time, even high in the second round, as my examples show.

2nd rounders didn't suddenly become some hard to attain on draft night piece. Whether through trading a second rounder a year or two away and sending some cash or trading a later second rounder and sending  cash or just trading for future second rounders, it's really easy to find a trade partner on draft night to get someone you like. If Danny didn't do it last year it's because he didn't like the players available or thought he had better on the roster.

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
It looks like he's worth a look, unfortunately isn't our 2nd rounder going to be right around #50?  Seems like he'd be off the board by then.
You can buy a 2nd rounder easily enough to get someone you want in the 2nd. I saw Windler once this year, against Maryland, and he was fantastic, though, to be honest, there isn't a lot of talent on that Maryland team.

But if Danny can somehow get into top of second and nab him, I am all for that. Nothing wrong with having a possible dead eye wing shooter off the bench who can rebound on an elite level.

I used to think that, but then I wondered why Danny didn't do it last year when Jalen Brunson & Mitchell Robinson were obvious choices in the 2nd round, and surprise surprise, our 2 big needs this year are a backup PG and a backup big who can protect the rim and rebound.
Danny already drafted Williams. There was no need for Robinson with Horford, Theis, Baynes, Morris, Yabusele and Williams already on the roster.

As for Brunson, Danny decided to go for Wanamaker than a questionable 2nd rounder. My guess is if Wanamaker was given 21 minutes a game on a horrible team, he could put up numbers like Brunson. I have no problem with going with Wanamaker. Brunson would have spent the entire season in Maine if he was on this roster.

Only about 2 of those bigs you mentioned can actually get minutes in the playoffs without crashing and burning.  Taking a flier on Robinson would have been smart if for no other reason than the cash spent on the pick is worth nothing, and he could clearly be flipped for an asset. 

Brunson could have potentially been on a cost controlled 3-4 year, $2m deal like Semi instead of a 1 year, near $2m deal like Wanamaker. 

But that's not really my point.  My point is, the assumption that anyone can just buy a 2nd rounder may be faulty at this point.  We had many 2nd round rotation rookies in '18 and we should have bought a pick if we could have.  In fact, very few if any high 2nds were sold.  That should tell you something.
Just because Ainge didn't buy a second rounder to draft binkies of your's doesn't mean that teams don't sell off second rounders and that Danny wouldn't do it for a player HE LIKES.

And it did happen last year. The 4th and 7th picks in the 2nd round were traded for other second rounders and cash on draft night. In 2017, on draft night, the 1st and 5th pick in the 2nd round were moved for other second rounders and cash. Swapping 2nds and cash is basically buying a pick.

Moving a 2nd for another 2nd and cash is not even remotely the same thing as just "buy(ing) a 2nd rounder."

One is a purchase, the other is a trade.  Your examples are neither here nor there.
Okay, then change purchasing to easily making a meaningless swap of second rounders or purchasing a pick.

It's all semantics. The point is if the Celtics want to get a second round pick on draft night to select someone Danny values, it's extremely easy and happens all the time, even high in the second round, as my examples show.

2nd rounders didn't suddenly become some hard to attain on draft night piece. Whether through trading a second rounder a year or two away and sending some cash or trading a later second rounder and sending  cash or just trading for future second rounders, it's really easy to find a trade partner on draft night to get someone you like. If Danny didn't do it last year it's because he didn't like the players available or thought he had better on the roster.

Ok. agreed on that.  I would say it's getting more difficult though, as we're seeing the trend move from outright buying a 2nd rounder with straight cash, to having to make a swap, as you pointed out.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Ok. agreed on that.  I would say it's getting more difficult though, as we're seeing the trend move from outright buying a 2nd rounder with straight cash, to having to make a swap, as you pointed out.
Just so you know, teams still buy picks on draft night.

It happened at pick 52 in 2018 and picks 38, 39 46, 48 and 52 in 2017 and picks 38, 54 and 56 in 2016.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Just so you know, teams still buy picks on draft night.

It happened at pick 52 in 2018 and picks 38, 39 46, 48 and 52 in 2017 and picks 38, 54 and 56 in 2016.

TP for the research.  I'll keep my eye out this year.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07