Author Topic: Worst excuse for a "columnist": Ron Borges  (Read 6556 times)

Worst excuse for a "columnist": Ron Borges
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20100112ron_borges_patriots_report_card/

saying the fans shouldn't boo?  What next? Maybe they should have brought fruit baskets to Belichek and Brady, patted them on the back and said "Hey I know we paid tons of money for the ticket and you played and coached like you were high, but it's ok!"

Re: Worst excuse for a "columnist": Ron Borges
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, he's got a valid point about the fans being spoiled over the last decade or so.  That's inevitable.  The wine & cheese types plus the bandwagoners come out of the woodwork when their is success. 

Talk to some people and they will tell you there was a slight transformation in the old Boston Garden towards the late 80s (still a heckuva venue, though).  Fenway Park is a lot different now than 10-15 years ago.  Heck, the crowds at the New Garden changed after the acquisition of the New Three. 

Fans have every right to boo and that first quarter performance certainly entitled them. 

But the makeup of those crowds has changed dramatically since the beginning of the decade. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
the fans had a right to boo on sunday. that team did not give great effort and was not prepared. if a team had booed last year, they would have been out of line and spoiled. last year, to me, got everything they could have out of their talent on the roster, including matt cassel. i was proud of that team. i was not proud of this one.

but borges having no clue is nothing new. be positive, though....at least he did not plagarize this column!
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 10:19:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I think they did give effort.  I think they are just not as good as we thought.  Belichek stripped the team of a lot of talent to save money.  You can't just win with Belicheck's system, you have to have talent in that system too.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:19:34 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Also, Borges has a serious axe to grind with the Patriots, particularly Belichick.

He's not exactly the guy I'm turning to when looking for Pats news.

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:22:10 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Also, Borges has a serious axe to grind with the Patriots, particularly Belichick.

Which is why it seems odd to hear him defending their honor.
Yup

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:25:42 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163

Which is why it seems odd to hear him defending their honor.

he just wants to go against public opinion. most people are rightfully upset with the pats and their recent moves right now, so a twit like borges just goes the other way. it is why people like him have jobs, so people like us can talk about him. he gets under my skin too, but the best thing to do is avoid people like him and shaughnessy. at least shaughnessy is a talented writer.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

really? What's that all about?

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

It goes back to the whole Bledsoe/Brady thing.  It's often assumed that Bledsoe was Borges' "inside source" for Pats info.  He was definitely on Drew's side during the whole drama and felt that Belichick screwed over Bledsoe.  Of course, trading Drew to the Bills cut off Borges' ability to get the inside scoop.

Borges has attacked Belichick for years.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It goes back to the whole Bledsoe/Brady thing.  It's often assumed that Bledsoe was Borges' "inside source" for Pats info.  He was definitely on Drew's side during the whole drama and felt that Belichick screwed over Bledsoe.  Of course, trading Drew to the Bills cut off Borges' ability to get the inside scoop.

Borges has attacked Belichick for years.
I could see how if a guy wasn't capable of making more than one friend in a locker room how that would bother him

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:46:31 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Borges also was convinced the Pats were gonna take one of David Terrell/Koren Robinson/Kenyatta Walker in the 2001 draft, and when they took Seymour he absolutely ripped the move and said it was gonna set the franchise back for years. Then when the Pats traded Seymour he ripped them for being all business and screwing Seymour, he is a clown.

That article was just him being a contrarian, i cant stand him.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 12:49:39 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Borges also was convinced the Pats were gonna take David Terrell in the 2001 draft, and when they took Seymour he absolutely ripped the move and said it was gonna set the franchise back for years. Then when the Pats traded Seymour he ripped them for being all business and screwing Seymour, he is a clown.

That article was just him being a contrarian, i cant stand him.

Can't stand him, either ... I very rarely read anything he writes anymore, it's just too subjective for me, and too weighed down with his bias and peculiar viewpoints.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 12:55:42 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
Can't stand him, either ... I very rarely read anything he writes anymore, it's just too subjective for me, and too weighed down with his bias and peculiar viewpoints.

I still love reading this quote by him, to say he was wrong would be an understatement.

“On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.”

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 02:28:56 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I still love reading this quote by him, to say he was wrong would be an understatement.

“On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sack last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.”

Kind of says it all, doesn't it? (TP) What an idiot ... and yet he paints himself as the Patriots' expert and inside man, what a joke! He's the Bill Simmons of football for me, and that's not even close to being a compliment. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
the fans had a right to boo on sunday. that team did not give great effort and was not prepared. if a team had booed last year, they would have been out of line and spoiled. last year, to me, got everything they could have out of their talent on the roster, including matt cassel. i was proud of that team. i was not proud of this one.

but borges having no clue is nothing new. be positive, though....at least he did not plagarize this column!

Five star post TP.