Author Topic: Best 2009 QB: Tom Brady?  (Read 6663 times)

Re: Best 2009 QB: Tom Brady?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:45 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Brady was not even close to being the best QB this year.  Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Favre ALL better.

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm not even sure he was a top two QB on his team this year
Now that's just silly.
Just trying to get a rise out of you, don't take the bait  ;).

True. Although honestly I have mixed feelings about it. I think they lost a lot of games they should have won and didn't really win any they shouldn't have, but there's only so much I can expect from the guy when he has a cruddy O-line, cruddy running backs, cruddy TEs, and not much in receiving after Moss and Welker

I hear he's been playing with broken ribs. I doubt it.
"not much in receiving after Moss and Welker"

Are you kidding me? Complaining about receivers when you have 2 pro bowl level receivers? What do you want - 4 pro bowl WR and Tony Gonzales?

Considering the QB last year did quite fine in Brady's absence, I don't find the making lemonade out of lemons argument persuasive.
I just don't think that a pro bowl QB, 2 pro bowl wrs, and a bunch of guys that need to be replaced can get it done.

I mean who's their 4th best offensive player? Mankins? Then who? Faulk? That's not much

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Top 5 NFL QBs in order (this year):

Manning
Brees
Rivers
Rodgers
Brady

TP for Rodgers.  I'll TP you again later for not having Favre in there.

I agree with the general sentiment that Brady was top-5 this year, but not #1, regardless of the strength of schedule.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Brady looked awfully good some of the time, and looked uncharacteristically awful on more plays than we're used to this year. He just seemed to miss the mark more this year in the past, but he certainly didn't get good protection often, and apparently he was going against league leaders in pass defense throughout the year.  What percentage of long passes did not connect this year?  Just seemed way more than usual.

The O-line is the biggest key to going anywhere in the playoffs this year.  If Brady has enough time, this offense is as potent as any offense in the league (even sans Welker).  With Wilfork and Warren back and healthy, and with D-backs that seem to have the potential to play well -- the defense needs some semblance of a pass rush and the Pat will compete with anyone.  A couple of big 'ifs' but they at least have a chance.  Only San Diego seems unbeatable to me -- but who knows what can happen if the Pats are able to stay healthy and gain some momentum vs. Baltimore.

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not even sure he was a top two QB on his team this year
Now that's just silly.
Just trying to get a rise out of you, don't take the bait  ;).

True. Although honestly I have mixed feelings about it. I think they lost a lot of games they should have won and didn't really win any they shouldn't have, but there's only so much I can expect from the guy when he has a cruddy O-line, cruddy running backs, cruddy TEs, and not much in receiving after Moss and Welker

I hear he's been playing with broken ribs. I doubt it.
"not much in receiving after Moss and Welker"

Are you kidding me? Complaining about receivers when you have 2 pro bowl level receivers? What do you want - 4 pro bowl WR and Tony Gonzales?

Considering the QB last year did quite fine in Brady's absence, I don't find the making lemonade out of lemons argument persuasive.
In today's league, especially when you run a shotgun spread offense, you need more than two WRs. You need depth at that position (TE included) due to the inevitable injury and just needed a lot of bodies and talent to make it work.

I think the Pats should be concerned because the Ravens weakness on defense is their CBs. Losing Welker makes it a lot harder to take advantage of that.

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When people say "In this offense" I think "Oh you mean an offense that can't protect the Qb and where the running backs don't take any pressure off him, and TEs don't get open when they double team the WRs?"

In "this" offense a young guy who can run faster and doesn't have a messed up knee is a better fit. That means this year Hoyer was the better "fit".