Author Topic: Tom Brady wins AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year  (Read 2254 times)

Tom Brady wins AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year
« on: January 06, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=4800984

Tom Brady has gone from record-setting MVP to injured superstar to The Associated Press 2009 NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Brady's strong return from a left knee injury that sidelined him for all but the first quarter of the 2008 opener earned the New England Patriots quarterback the award Wednesday. One of football's biggest stars, Brady has gone from NFL Most Valuable Player in 2007, when he set several passing records, to sidelined to earning his second league award.

"Well deserved. He's had a tremendous year," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said Wednesday morning. "I think we all know that Tom brings so much to this team and our organization -- on and off the field. His preparation, his leadership, his performance, his unselfishness. All the things he gives us are just top shelf. Whether he did or didn't play last year, the fact that he didn't I guess qualifies him for this award, but he brings those things on a daily basis, and they are exceptional."

He received 19 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL, beating Tampa Bay running back Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, who got 14.

Comeback Player of the Year

Voting for The Associated Press comeback player of the year award, as voted on by a nationwide panel of media members:

Player    Votes
Tom Brady, QB, New England    19
Carnell Williams, RB, Tampa Bay    14
Vince Young, QB, Tennessee    7
Cedric Benson, RB, Cincinnati    4
Brett Favre, QB, Minnesota    4
Anthony Hargrove, DE, New Orleans    1

Re: Tom Brady wins AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I like it ... I know a lot of people would pick Favre, but come on, the guy has "come back" how many times now?!? ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:01:16 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 594
I like it ... I know a lot of people would pick Favre, but come on, the guy has "come back" how many times now?!? ;)

As the official resident Cblog Favre apologist, I agree. Brady made it back from a bigger injury and had a good year. He is deserving.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 02:07:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm really disappointed that so many felt that Cadillac Williams' very mediocre season on a bad Tampa team was comparable to what Brady did coming back putting up the numbers he did. Williams I think is the obvious second place finisher but now way he deserved 14 votes to Brady's 19. I think there was some definite anti-Patriots bias going on with those votes.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think the whole idea of a "comeback player of the year" award is silly with today's advancements in surgery, but since the award exists, I think Brady deserved it.  He had the best season of any player coming back from a major injury.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions