Author Topic: Ranking the Pats rookies  (Read 2499 times)

Ranking the Pats rookies
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:42:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess what I mean is best player in terms of who you are most glad they picked to least glad.

1 Edeleman.......I don't think there's much question that he has contributed the most. Tons of upside. Best 7th rounder in the Belichek era I assume. If the draft happens today there's no way he gets past the 2nd round

2.  S Vollmer.  If you had asked yesterday I'd have said him. How Kaczur AND Light are starting ahead of him is beyond me

Big drop off now

3. D Butler  I think he has shown more than the next guy

4. P Chung. Shows potential.

5. Myron Pryor.  Probably doesn't have the upside of the guys ahead of him, but he beat out a lot of guys like the one that comes last on the list

6. Bobby Hoyer.  He seems to zip the ball, isn't intimidated and is the direct cause of the Pats dumping Kevin O'Connell (who they drafted pretty high) and Andrew Walter who they traded for. The fact that he was undrafted makes it sweeter.

7. Jake Ingram.  They'll plug him in as a long snapper for the next decade. His snaps will be perfect just like the last guy. Everybody will forget about him. That's got to be worth something

8. Rich Orhenberger  He played. When he plays I don't see some massive drop off from him to Stephen Neal. When they offer Neal a low ball offer next year and Neal walks they'll plug this guy in and there you go.

9. Brandon Tate.  Thanks for showing up and promptly getting hurt, which is more than I can say for the next guy, cause at least Tate played

10. Tyrone McKenzie....the next Shawn Crable

11. Darryl Richard.  7th round d-lineman made the practice squad I think

12. George Bussey...so did he

13. Ron Brace.  We'll see if he's on the team next year and provides anything whatsoever. Till then the latest Pat in a long line of 2nd round busts, only this one is rather spectacular. It's like he wore Bilbo's ring of invisibility only Bilbo used the ring far more effectively and I'm sure Bilbo could have gotten more tackles and sacks wearing the ring

Did I get it right?

Re: Ranking the Pats rookies
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:35:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP for a good topic.

I would put Tate higher; I really liked what I saw of him prior to the injury -- perhaps above Hoyer.

I would put Brace above Bussey, and would like to put him higher, but get that we have to drop him because we used a 2nd rounder on him.

Someone earlier said that they thought Brace was the biggest 2nd round bust of the Pats.  Ummmm, no.  See: Johnson, Bethel.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
TP for a good topic.

I would put Tate higher; I really liked what I saw of him prior to the injury -- perhaps above Hoyer.

I would put Brace above Bussey, and would like to put him higher, but get that we have to drop him because we used a 2nd rounder on him.

Someone earlier said that they thought Brace was the biggest 2nd round bust of the Pats.  Ummmm, no.  See: Johnson, Bethel.
That was me that said that. Bethel actually played.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Patrick Chung doesn't even deserve a spot on the luncheon menu.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm beginning to think that since the Pats always mess up their 2nd rounders instead of trading first rounders for 2nds they should trade their 2nds for thirds

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:19:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'ld have to put it

Vollmer
Hoyer
Butler
Edleman
Chung

Now before anyone jumps all over me having Hoyer that high, let me say this. Exactly how many teams with superstar QBs coming off injury and having some question as to their of coming back, would keep only an undrafted rookie QB as the only backup QB for that whole year if he wasn't showing something a little bit special in practice, the film room, the workout room and team tests?

Having seen Hoyer only sparingly, in games I have seen of him, he has been impressive. He has a good arm, good accuracy, plays within himself, nice tight spiral has very good mobility and shows promise. He has to be extremely impressive in practice if Belichick is keeping only him around as a backup. It's not like Belichick has a bad record on evaluating little known QBing talent and making something out of them here in New England.

Also, Vollmer has to be there because he performed great at maybe the second hardest position in football, left tackle, while Light was out. He stepped right in and the team did not suffer a lick when he was in there. He then showed tremendous versatility by being able to sub in on the right side too. Vollmer will be a starting offensive lineman for this team for many years.

Butler gets the third nod less because of what he did right and more because of what Edelman did wrong. That third receiver slot was Edelman's to have and injury and inconsistency cost him that. Edelman will be a definite great long term addition to this team and next year he might be their best and most productive second year player, but not this year.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
TP for a good topic.

That was me that said that. Bethel actually played.

Whoops, I meant Chad Jackson....
(sorry for being slow to respond.  we have a 13 day old newborn)
Celtics fan for life.