Author Topic: are the pats on the verge of imploding?  (Read 26502 times)

Re: are the pats on the verge of imploding?
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2010, 09:36:55 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
No.  It was my understanding that this was a transition year from the get-go.  They've already made a significant transition from some of the vets to a younger group, and in some ways over-achieved this year. 

With Brady coming back stronger next year and new added players, as well as the maturation of a few players, they should look good for next year.  Believe it or not their transition from the old winning team to the future winning team is much smoother than most teams.

« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'd like to think the defense will take steps forward somehow.

Without significant additions I'm not sure how I see the offense taking steps forward (especially without Welker).  Maybe getting a 1rst rnd RB that rushes for 1100 yards could make a big difference, and maybe having a big addition on the line to open holes for him and maybe protect Brady, but still

« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
First thing's first: Blow up the O-Line. Save Vollmer and Mankins, and dump Kaczur in international waters just to make sure he doesn't find his way back.

Running and passing start with the O-Line. No matter how good Brady is, he's going to be neutralized when there's 3 guys in the backfield every play. Maroney--as much as I don't think he's the answer--can't be entirely blamed for his struggles when there are no gaps.

2nd, I'd say we avoid overinvesting picks in wide receivers. I think that's probably one of the most overdrafted positions. RBs, too, are fairly injury prone. We need to get a good pass rusher (how good is Julius Peppers looking 4 months later? Oi.) and buff up the secondary, presumably with a CB to match Butler (who I think is gonna be good).

Here's how I'd probably draft, position wise, assuming there's a worthwhile talent at the level available:

1: OT
2: DT
3: CB
TP. i agreed with everything you said and the way you said it till you got till the last sentence and a half, and even then I didn't dramatically disagree
If there's a speed rushing outside linebacker available I think you HAVE to look at that position. The kidd Ricky Sapp out of Clemson would be a great fit and good value towards the end of the first round and into the second and I think that's where the Pat's have to begin to look. A pass rush will make this young and promising defensive backfield a whole lot better.

This draft is deep in offensive linemen and I think the Pats could get a very good one late in the second like Charles Brown, Selvish Capers or Mike Iopati. Gerhart, the RB from Stanford, is also an intriguing guy to look at come late 2nd round. If the Pats could do no trades and come out of the second round Sapp, Capers and Gerhart, I would be a happy camper.

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
First thing's first: Blow up the O-Line. Save Vollmer and Mankins, and dump Kaczur in international waters just to make sure he doesn't find his way back.

Running and passing start with the O-Line. No matter how good Brady is, he's going to be neutralized when there's 3 guys in the backfield every play. Maroney--as much as I don't think he's the answer--can't be entirely blamed for his struggles when there are no gaps.

2nd, I'd say we avoid overinvesting picks in wide receivers. I think that's probably one of the most overdrafted positions. RBs, too, are fairly injury prone. We need to get a good pass rusher (how good is Julius Peppers looking 4 months later? Oi.) and buff up the secondary, presumably with a CB to match Butler (who I think is gonna be good).

Here's how I'd probably draft, position wise, assuming there's a worthwhile talent at the level available:

TP. i agreed with everything you said and the way you said it till you got till the last sentence and a half, and even then I didn't dramatically disagree
If there's a speed rushing outside linebacker available I think you HAVE to look at that position. The kidd Ricky Sapp out of Clemson would be a great fit and good value towards the end of the first round and into the second and I think that's where the Pat's have to begin to look. A pass rush will make this young and promising defensive backfield a whole lot better.

This draft is deep in offensive linemen and I think the Pats could get a very good one late in the second like Charles Brown, Selvish Capers or Mike Iopati. Gerhart, the RB from Stanford, is also an intriguing guy to look at come late 2nd round. If the Pats could do no trades and come out of the second round Sapp, Capers and Gerhart, I would be a happy camper.
Yeah. I'd be pretty happy with that too. Very good call on the Gerhart thing. He was really good in the Sun Bowl. Ran really hard.

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2010, 10:25:36 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
No.  It was my understanding that this was a transition year from the get-go.  They've already made a significant transition from some of the vets to a younger group, and in some ways over-achieved this year. 

With Brady coming back stronger next year and new added players, as well as the maturation of a few players, they should look good for next year.  Believe it or not their transition from the old winning team to the future winning team is much smoother than most teams.

I agree. Belichek has to know the (bad) history of qbs coming back from knee injuries. I'm convinced that's why the Seymour trade happened. They weren't really trying to win the SB this year from the outset. Next year begins a new run of legit chances at the title.

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161

Yeah, I don't really speak with much knowledge on the makeup of the draft itself. If there are standouts at certain categories, then pick them first, obviously, but I guess if this year is filled with offensive linemen, than we can hold off.

I would so like a pass rusher, but [dang], we really need to get rid of guys like Light and Kaczur.

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2010, 01:54:38 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The team is rebuilding it's defense while contending at the same time. The failure of Joey Galloway hurt this team a lot as he was our replacement for Jabbar Gaffney.

What caused our early exit was the absence of Wes Welker, Matt Light also needs to be swapped to the right side. Nick Kazcur needs to be traded or cut.

And last our NUMBER 1 goal off the off-season should be getting an adequate pass rusher. 

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2010, 02:14:17 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
And last our NUMBER 1 goal off the off-season should be getting an adequate pass rusher. 

Correct, Nick brought it up here earlier in this thread and i was talking to Mean Gerald Green a bit ago about it, Ricky Sapp would be such a perfect fit here. Got good size at 6'4 248, runs a 4.50 40 or so, can play OLB in the 3-4 or a rush end in the 4-3.

Im with you on Light, he sucks at LT and needs to be moved to RT or cut. They also need to get rid of Bill O'Brien who did a terrible job he did as offensive coordinator, the offense was beyond predictable. Lastly id like to see them make the permanent switch to the 4-3, thought they would this year then they traded Seymour.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:20:53 AM by Big_Matt34 »