Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47371 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2020, 04:40:07 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

But the fact remains: CBS (and by extension, the team) wasn’t ready for the Heat and their zone in game 1-2.

I don’t know if you’re confusing me for someone else. I’m not in the “fire CBS” camp. But I’m not absolving him for his performance in game 1-2. He had a couple of moments (playing Kanter, playing Grant) but went away from it, and I thought he had a great back and forth with nick nurse (who also coached the heck out of that series) in the previous series, but Spoelstra’s Heat were prepared  and the C’s looked lost. When 5 guys look like a mess out on the court, I think that’s largely on the coach.

i have to agree... After the toronto series and knowing that heat uses zone we should have been more prepared. Esp in the second game we looked completely lost .

« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2020, 10:59:54 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He's not an NBA level head coach

Apparently, there are only three or four legit NBA coaches then.

All hail Danny Ainge for assembling a roster that is so head and shoulders beyond all other teams that it reaches the ECF in spite of its coach.

Or...  this is a transparent attack on a coach because he clashed with Cry-rie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2020, 11:04:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With CBS his urgency/desperation needs to be quicker.  Too many times I have seen him make proper adjustments the game after and sometimes thats too late (1st two games vs Heat)

Having Adebayo endless alley dunks.  Or giving up 15 plus point leads multiple times (sometimes in the same game)...   a coach is usually to be blamed in this case

I'm glad he found a way  to win game 3. But team can't be happy about it as it almost blew the lead again.   

« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2020, 12:08:10 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Not particularly happy with some substitution and rotations but the players are the ones taking stupid ill-advised hero shots and turning the ball over on multiple consecutive possessions.

How is that Brad’s fault?

« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2020, 01:11:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Not particularly happy with some substitution and rotations but the players are the ones taking stupid ill-advised hero shots and turning the ball over on multiple consecutive possessions.

Yeah, in a 6 minute stretch the Heat outscored us by 15.

During that time, we had four turnovers, a goal-tending, a flagrant foul, gave up nine FTAs, and allowed the Heat to grab three offensive rebounds.

That’s execution, not coaching.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2020, 01:32:46 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
This shouldn’t be a topic of discussion..he not going anywhere for awhile
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2020, 01:33:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
here is an interesting article about the value of calling time outs to stop opponent runs.

i have heard CBS state that he doesnt think time outs help on this. this article seems to back him up.

https://scholarship.tricolib.brynmawr.edu/bitstream/handle/10066/6918/2011PermuttS_thesis.pdf?sequence=2#:~:text=The%20NBA%20is%20a%20useful,revolving%20around%20the%20coaches'%20instructions

hard as it might be to believe, CBS might know more than us posters here. who would have figured that?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:39:03 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2020, 01:34:29 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
not true. i remember quite well how here on CS posters knew he would go back to coach college ball in indiana.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I like Footey but I personally hope his foot is in his mouth 3 games from now.  ;)
ok fine

« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2020, 03:21:27 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Exactly. Didnt the Cs just give him an extension?

« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2020, 03:40:49 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Brad is an excellent coach and the results prove it. The Celtics consistently rank among the best on offense, defense, and overall, during his tenure. Except for last year, he outperforms expectations.

His stagnant 4Q offense, withholding of challenges, and lack of fiery emotion when the team is underperforming can be frustrating, but there’s so much proof that he’s one of the best coaches in the NBA that the question is ridiculous.

« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2020, 05:01:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Brad is an excellent coach and the results prove it. The Celtics consistently rank among the best on offense, defense, and overall, during his tenure. Except for last year, he outperforms expectations.

His stagnant 4Q offense, withholding of challenges, and lack of fiery emotion when the team is underperforming can be frustrating, but there’s so much proof that he’s one of the best coaches in the NBA that the question is ridiculous.

Yeah, look what Doc Rivers lost with and coach Bud is not a good playoff coach at all.

« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2020, 07:30:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Celtics are a very talented but young team that at times, displays some growing pains.  This is true of individual players and Coach Stevens.  I think back on how many wanted to give up on Marcus Smart for example, a flawed but impactful player.  Stevens is like that, yes young and not fully seasoned (think how many years Spoelstra has been coaching), yes, not perfect, but I am for hanging in with him as the coach.

I think he is a good coach by NBA standards, not coach of the year but solid.  I think he is a good match for this young team, and a good match for Danny Ainge.  In some more years (Spoelstra has 12 years as the head coach and 25 years with the heat organization, Stevens has 5 years in the NBA) we are going to look back and realize he has been good for a long time.  It will kind of sneak up on you like Spoelstra has kind of snuck up on the league.  That is my prediction anyway.

« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Yeah, in a 6 minute stretch the Heat outscored us by 15.

During that time, we had four turnovers, a goal-tending, a flagrant foul, gave up nine FTAs, and allowed the Heat to grab three offensive rebounds.

That’s execution, not coaching.

how many timeouts were called in that six minute stretch?

« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
We'll be singing his praises here in a couple of days - once we tie up MIA.

We are simply a better team with Gordon Hayward and he gives Brad another weapon to use.

He is a quality coach but needs his horses to win - just like all quality coaches.

GH is a BIG horse.