Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47473 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #270 on: September 24, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
You would think eventually the coach would be held responsible for his failures. This team has the same issues every season, regardless of who is on the roster.

There's nothing any of us can do about it, though, so.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Celts had Spoelstra, would anyone argue this series would not at least be 2-2 heading into game 5?

« Reply #271 on: September 24, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
In another era, back in the days when newspapers and talk radio had big audiences, Stevens would be getting roasted in Boston on a daily basis and there would be some pressure.  Also it would turn the fans on him and he'd be getting booed at the games.

Not so today. Wyc and Ainge are the only ones who have any impact when it comes to changing the coach and they just extended him. 

« Reply #272 on: September 24, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Celtics are good, very good, Stevens is also good, but they are not contenders. Full stop.
But, what bothers me is that they have better players then Miami and in this series Brad just showed he's not up to this level. He had a contening team last year - ok, it was Kyrie's fault. This year he has great chemistry with Kemba and the rest of the crew. Yet, again, he can't overcome these obstacles that Spoelstra set for him. There is just huge difference between great basketball knowledge and great coach. And Brad always loses his weapons when it comes to a real fight. Honestly I don't believe we would have won Game 3 if Smart didn't do what he did in locker room.

I'm not said that much for losing the ECF, but for losing hopes we will ever reach the finals with coach Brad.

Do we have better players, at least in terms of how they're playing right now?  Especially when you take into account that Hayward missed Games 1 and 2?

Bam has probably been the most dominant player in the series, Herro is scoring neck and neck with Jaylen, Kemba and Dragic are at best a wash, etc.  Our only real advantage is in the battle of "stars", Tatum vs. Butler.  Even there, Tatum gave us 0 points in the first half last night.

The Heat are just playing better.  Barely better, but better.  It's not the coach who commits turnovers, or misses open shots.

Exactly. That's what I'm talking about. They are playing better. Why is that so? When you got no.1 pick, 2 no.3 pcks, and pck no.6 on your roster? Why is Smart our most important player few days ago and since last night he's shooting poorly, turning so many balls over and so...?

I say it's about coaching. You have to use such great pieces as we have in right place in right role in right time. That's what Spoelstra does. What does he have? Butler- ok. Sixers had Butler last year on a stronger team so what? Nothing. They got Crowder -a vet who we gave to Jazz, they got Dragic - a vet, Herro - a rookie (no.13), Robinson (undrafted player) and Adebayo- to me their best player.
And you tell me they got stronger team? No they don't. We got better players, so we come again to same question, WHY? Why do they play better?

Even though, I don´t think he should be fired. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:48:16 AM by iadera »

« Reply #273 on: September 24, 2020, 10:40:50 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
You would think eventually the coach would be held responsible for his failures. This team has the same issues every season, regardless of who is on the roster.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If Celts had Spoelstra, would anyone argue this series would not at least be 2-2 heading into game 5?

I would. The game was decided by turnovers by our absolute best players, not our schemes.

« Reply #274 on: September 24, 2020, 10:45:45 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
We could ask The Clippers for a trade.

Bring back "UBUNTU!!" and Glenn "Doc" Rivers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHmB8pe3e9U

« Reply #275 on: September 24, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Weird timing on this one. People are blaming Doc for the Clippers mess.

« Reply #276 on: September 24, 2020, 10:56:09 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, if Brad is getting trashed on here, I can only imagine what would happen if Doc came back.   He certainly was a polarizing coach on CB even with a title under his belt back in the day.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #277 on: September 24, 2020, 10:59:11 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would. The game was decided by turnovers by our absolute best players, not our schemes.

Worth noting that through 197 minutes in this series, Stevens and Spo are tied at 441-441 pts scored.

« Reply #278 on: September 24, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Yeah, if Brad is getting trashed on here, I can only imagine what would happen if Doc came back.   He certainly was a polarizing coach on CB even with a title under his belt back in the day.

Coach Rivers seems to have an ease coaching Top Tier talent.

Tatum is arguably in that realm or close to it...Jaylen isn't very far behind.

GH has ALREADY BEEN an All-Star - leading Utah to the WC semis just a few years ago.

Kemba's been an All-Star, just recently.

There's been commentary on here about Stevens being out-coached - even in the TOR series.

I see my suggestion as a valid one to try and gauge what people here want.

I mean - are we just VENTING? I think there is a notable number of folks here that want him gone and are upset with his performance. "I" am not among that number but WHO would we bring in and Doc Rivers was a VALID suggestion, at least to ME.

« Reply #279 on: September 24, 2020, 11:06:53 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
We clearly made the Heat very uncomfortable for 150 of these 200 minutes.
We are clearly top 2 team in the East bubble and maybe top 3 team in the bubble.
Maybe they can build off that next season but I highly doubt it.
They way danny has approached the make up of these last 6-7 iterations of the Celtics is to make them competitive and win a bunch of games while experimenting with 4 draft picks every year.
Well he achieved that.. we won a bunch of games and made it to 3 ECF in 4 years but don’t have what it takes to get to the next level.
Next year or in 2022 there will be another team that explodes and will be top 4-5 team again... but we are making all these draft picks so that gets fans excited
In fact gets them so excited that they believe that Timelord is better than Bam And Romeo is better than Herro

« Reply #280 on: September 24, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Brad works with what he has - top 5 team in terms of talent and gets them to be a top 3 team in the league....
It’s hard to say he is failing at his job

« Reply #281 on: September 24, 2020, 11:18:36 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
We are clearly top 2 team in the East bubble and maybe top 3 team in the bubble.
They way danny has approached the make up of these last 6-7 iterations of the Celtics is to make them competitive and win a bunch of games while experimenting with 4 draft picks every year.
Well he achieved that.. we won a bunch of games and made it to 3 ECF in 4 years but don’t have what it takes to get to the next level.
Next year or in 2022 there will be another team that explodes and will be top 4-5 team again... but we are making all these draft picks so that gets fans excited
In fact gets them so excited that they believe that Timelord is better than Bam And Romeo is better than Herro

Your post here brings up an important memory for me.

Didn't Danny comment earlier in the season - just THIS season - that this was supposed to be a BRIDGE year for us?

Has HE ever stated that we'd be contending or thought THIS team could contend?

I'd bet he thinks that even NOW we are over-achieving. I could be wrong but I don't ever recall him stating that we'd contend, even THIS year.

Granted it HAS been a pleasant run - and it's not over yet. But I'd guess that Danny is ECSTATIC with what we've done even now.

« Reply #282 on: September 24, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Your post here brings up an important memory for me.

Didn't Danny comment earlier in the season - just THIS season - that this was supposed to be a BRIDGE year for us?

Has HE ever stated that we'd be contending or thought THIS team could contend?

I'd bet he thinks that even NOW we are over-achieving. I could be wrong but I don't ever recall him stating that we'd contend, even THIS year.

Granted it HAS been a pleasant run - and it's not over yet. But I'd guess that Danny is ECSTATIC with what we've done even now.

Maybe it was Danny or Wyc

But can they really be ecstatic with overachieving?

A 5th seeded HEAT team, up 3-1 ready to close it out on Friday

If the Celts lose to the Heat,  I would say that is a disappointment.  Especially blowing double digit leads in game 1 and 2

I hope Danny realizes that this team needs more help upfront.  Because the Celts have been getting killed on the glass in this series.  At one point in the 4th quarter last night , Heat grabbed three offensive rebounds in a row...and would have grabbed another if Bam didn't cause an offensive foul.   It was just embarrassing

Celts grabbed zero offensive rebounds in this manner except for a few via solo effort from Timelord

« Reply #283 on: September 24, 2020, 11:32:10 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
It may have originally been a "bridge season" but a golden opportunity is there right now and the Celtics aren't capitalizing.  That's the frustrating part & I'm assuming the reason for so much consternation.   A path was parted via MIL's elimination and the defeat of Toronto and a BKN lost cause season to have the Celtics reach the Finals and potentially win the whole [dang] thing. 

And the players are currently blowing it.  It may have been a bridge season but that turned into a win now season via a variety of events.

Those opportunities don't come along very often and the promise of the future is just that, only a promise.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #284 on: September 24, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
It really irks me when people say the Heat have the better team or that “this isn’t our time yet”.

First off: JT is likely the best player on the floor, talent-wise. Then we have Kemba and JB and Smart and Hayward. Honestly? That’s a stacked team. Much more stacked at least than Butler, Bam, Herro, Duncan Robinson, Dragic. I mean, who here would do a 5 for 5 trade? No way.

Secondly: our guys have more playoff experience. If anything, their time is not yet now. If anything, our time is now after losing to LeBron without Kyrie, and then the lost year when Kyrie came back.

We have more talent. We’re just not playing at a high enough level. The Heat are the aggressors and are able to turn the game on it’s ear when it counts. I honestly believed we weren’t getting past Milwaukee (from a talent POV) but Spoelstra figured out that puzzle for us. I thought we’d get past his Heat but he seems to have figured out how to use his lesser parts to cobble something together just enough to beat us.

If it’s Lakers-Heat, I don’t see how the Heat have a snowballs chance tbh. I’d love to be proven wrong but I mean, talent SHOULD win out in a 7-game series. Sad that it’s not happening for us. It’s like Detroit-LA in 2003

- LilRip