Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47475 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2020, 11:44:37 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Lol.  Brad’s fault Tatum took a half off, Smart showed the offensive IQ of a rock, Tyler Herro played like Steph Curry, and the team had 18 turnovers.

Brad needs to shore up his coaching and his coaching bench.

his team having 18+ turnovers is his fault yes - because he lets them do what they want- thats his mantra.

What should he do?  Play Semi more?

no - call a timeout - show them the fundamentals to running an offense - have motion on your plays - come get handoffs etc when you see that you cannot rajon rondo laser pass through 5 metre hands - adjust and make it work for what they want to do - not chug shots like its a playground

This. The people defeindg Brad with 'what do you want him to do' or 'he is not responsible for turnovers or three [point bricks' should tell us exactly what Brad is responsible for. What can fans hold him accountable for? Why do team need coaches if they are not resonsible for the team's lack of preparation.

Yeah, pretty much this. Not sure what many of these people think the coach's job really is.

« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2020, 11:48:01 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Threads like these are the silver lining of losses for me, fantastic reading.

« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2020, 11:49:13 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Lol.  Brad’s fault Tatum took a half off, Smart showed the offensive IQ of a rock, Tyler Herro played like Steph Curry, and the team had 18 turnovers.

Absolutely.  Tatum is still really young, and it's easy to forget that Smart still sucks at creating his own offense, he's just been playing above his head this playoffs.  I am p---ed that Stevens didn't shift Smart to Herro in the 4th, but the premise of the thread is ridiculous.  Stevens is a great coach with a young team. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2020, 11:50:20 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
One of the things that bugs me is that the Stevens and the C's don't seem to have any last second full court plays ready to go.  We have how they just ended game 4, and the same thing in the Game 1 overtime loss, and any other time where the team needed to go the length of the court with minimal time on the clock.  The plan just seems to be throw it down court and pray (while Kemba always calls for the ball 80 feet from the hoop) and it never turns out good.

I guess this isn't Stevens/Celtics specific, because it doesn't seem like any other NBA teams have any of these type of plays ready to go either.  Always bugs me though, always makes me wonder why.  Every year in the NCAA tourney there's usually some miracle buzzer beater, and when they interview the coach/player after the game it's always "we practiced that play all year just in case we were ever in this situation."

Maybe it's because the NBA is too easy to scout (run it once, and the other team will have it in their scouting report for years), along with player movement (Crowder and Olynyk would be familiar with any Stevens plays), and lack of viable options in that scenario (as there's only so many ways to pull off a length of the court catch and shoot), but I still feel like having 2-3 practiced plays in your back pocket would be worth it for when you have no time outs and need to go the length of the court.  The players never seem in sync in those moments.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2020, 11:50:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Brad needs to shore up his coaching and his coaching bench.

his team having 18+ turnovers is his fault yes - because he lets them do what they want- thats his mantra.

What should he do?  Play Semi more?

no - call a timeout - show them the fundamentals to running an offense - have motion on your plays - come get handoffs etc when you see that you cannot rajon rondo laser pass through 5 metre hands - adjust and make it work for what they want to do - not chug shots like its a playground

This. The people defeindg Brad with 'what do you want him to do' or 'he is not responsible for turnovers or three [point bricks' should tell us exactly what Brad is responsible for. What can fans hold him accountable for? Why do team need coaches if they are not resonsible for the team's lack of preparation.
Missing open shots does not indicate an unprepared team

turnovers? effort? not knowing how to attack zone?

« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2020, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
One of the things that bugs me is that the Stevens and the C's don't seem to have any last second full court plays ready to go.  We have how they just ended game 4, and the same thing in the Game 1 overtime loss, and any other time where the team needed to go the length of the court with minimal time on the clock.  The plan just seems to be throw it down court and pray (while Kemba always calls for the ball 80 feet from the hoop) and it never turns out good.

I guess this isn't Stevens/Celtics specific, because it doesn't seem like any other NBA teams have any of these type of plays ready to go either.  Always bugs me though, always makes me wonder why.  Every year in the NCAA tourney there's usually some miracle buzzer beater, and when they interview the coach/player after the game it's always "we practiced that play all year just in case we were ever in this situation."

Maybe it's because the NBA is too easy to scout (run it once, and the other team will have it in their scouting report for years), along with player movement (Crowder and Olynyk would be familiar with any Stevens plays), and lack of viable options in that scenario (as there's only so many ways to pull off a length of the court catch and shoot), but I still feel like having 2-3 practiced plays in your back pocket would be worth it for when you have no time outs and need to go the length of the court.  The players never seem in sync in those moments.

Probably because it's hard to successfully execute a last second full court play. I wouldn't expect them to be successful in practice either. I'd be looking at why you put yourself in a position where you had to rely on a Hail Mary to begin with.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2020, 11:58:32 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Threads like these are the silver lining of losses for me, fantastic reading.

Never let it be said that us Celtics fans lack passion or ideas on how to improve things from our living room couches, it's one of the cool things about being a fan   :police:

« Reply #232 on: September 24, 2020, 12:09:55 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Probably because it's hard to successfully execute a last second full court play. I wouldn't expect them to be successful in practice either. I'd be looking at why you put yourself in a position where you had to rely on a Hail Mary to begin with.

But do you know what's even harder to execute?  Going full court, last second, with no play.  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #233 on: September 24, 2020, 12:10:37 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

But do you know what's even harder to execute?  Going full court, last second, with no play.  ;)

I'm guessing they had a play they just executed it bad  :P

« Reply #234 on: September 24, 2020, 12:16:54 AM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176

Absolutely.  Tatum is still really young, and it's easy to forget that Smart still sucks at creating his own offense, he's just been playing above his head this playoffs.  I am p---ed that Stevens didn't shift Smart to Herro in the 4th, but the premise of the thread is ridiculous.  Stevens is a great coach with a young team.

Idk if brad is a great coach..

I know he’s a good coach that can make the playoffs and make the east finals

« Reply #235 on: September 24, 2020, 12:22:37 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Idk if brad is a great coach..

I know he’s a good coach that can make the playoffs and make the east finals

You could probably convince me to concede on that.  But if he's good enough to make the ECF, I'm happy to roll with him.  And we are still a very young team.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #236 on: September 24, 2020, 12:22:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
https://twitter.com/Tom_NBA/status/1308974390269415426

I do fault Brad for not sitting Smart in the 4th...I know Smartacus impacts winning and I want him to be a Celtic for life, but he was starting to grow a cape and thinking he had to make all the plays to bring the Cs home...at that point he probably needed to sit. He turned the ball over a lot and took bad 3s during that period.

The thing with Smart, is he makes winning plays so Brad probably decided to take the bad with the good and he probably wanted to go with his "Best Five" but it didn't work quite as well tonight as it did in Game 3.

« Reply #237 on: September 24, 2020, 12:25:12 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

How about Timelord going +10 and instead kept going back to Theis who is Bams puppet.

Is that also not Brad fault?

« Reply #238 on: September 24, 2020, 12:27:25 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

How about Timelord going +10 and instead of keeping going back to Theis who is Bams puppet.

Is that also not Brad fault?

I could be wrong, but I would guess the reason he didn't go to Timelord more was because Timelord was getting roasted by Herro at the perimeter on switches because he was in drop coverage worrying about the Bam roll. Probably also the reason why Kanter never got put in.

Now as to why Brad didn't play Gwill more instead of Theis who's had a bad series, I think that's definitely a valid question. Brad probably wanted to show loyalty to the player.

« Reply #239 on: September 24, 2020, 01:13:05 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

I do fault Brad for not sitting Smart in the 4th...I know Smartacus impacts winning and I want him to be a Celtic for life, but he was starting to grow a cape and thinking he had to make all the plays to bring the Cs home...at that point he probably needed to sit. He turned the ball over a lot and took bad 3s during that period.

The thing with Smart, is he makes winning plays so Brad probably decided to take the bad with the good and he probably wanted to go with his "Best Five" but it didn't work quite as well tonight as it did in Game 3.

Wonder if Marcus Smart is gonna start another shouting match in the locker room and throw things across the room?

Maybe they're gonna quietly pack their bags and get ready to leave after Game 5.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)