Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 448866 times)

sahara, Who, RJ87, blink, Finkelskyhook, Phantom255x, 86MaxwellSmart, CelticsPoetry, Birdman, perks-a-beast, bdm860, hpantazo, SparzWizard and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #4320 on: March 29, 2024, 01:40:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think the question is what team in the west could possibly beat Denver in a series.

Denver is the one team I worry about the most if Boston gets there.

But you told us last night that this team was finished.  Now they're maybe making the Finals?

Stranger things have happened.
The Celtics make me say a lot of irrational things.

Since Joe pretty much admitted that they aren’t serious right now a losing streak is doable lol

With NOLA and OKC playing for seeding I can see the C’s getting smoked in both games. The magic number is still 4 games, best not mess around too much.

If they aren't serious, why are they playing Tatum 45 minutes?

I will be interested to see the line up for tomorrow. Does Joe play everyone vs a good team to get some continuity back or do they rest certain players.

I know Charlotte will be a lot of guys resting.

It was frustrating to see them play their starters good minutes last night and look like they were committed to winning only to hear that they were practicing certain defensive looks in crunch time, which allowed Atlanta to win the game.

Of course, there's a non-zero chance that Joe actually thought that was a good choice, and just came up with the "experimenting" thing after it blew up in his face.

It just seems odd to me that OT of a game where the starters played heavy minutes would be the time to experiment.   

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4321 on: March 29, 2024, 02:36:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

Maybe "stretching him out" so he is ready for the longer minutes in the playoffs?  This is something that Moranis suggested in another thread.  I thought it was an interesting question.  Should you play the keys guys less leading up to the playoffs (rest) or start playing them more so they get used to it (stretch them out so to speak).

I think the general practice is more to rest them but thought it was an interesting question.

As to the game, it was a major disappointment.  It always feels like a gut punch when they lose like this (which fortunately isn't all that often).  But it was a road game on a Thursday, I am not concerned.  I feel the big picture is still really favorable for the team.

« Reply #4322 on: March 29, 2024, 03:29:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
https://x.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1773701422724342260?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Last 10 games - Celtics #1 offense, #15 (!) defense, yet still # 1 net rating.

Crazy that we’re still the top net rating even with the 15th defense, but man, this certainly lends credit to the argument that we’ve stopped playing hard defensively.

« Reply #4323 on: March 29, 2024, 04:30:44 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Celtics Injury Report vs. New Orleans (3/30):

JD Davison - Left Ankle Sprain - OUT
Jaden Springer - Left Knee Tendinopathy - OUT

« Reply #4324 on: March 29, 2024, 04:56:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think the question is what team in the west could possibly beat Denver in a series.

Denver is the one team I worry about the most if Boston gets there.

But you told us last night that this team was finished.  Now they're maybe making the Finals?

Stranger things have happened.
The Celtics make me say a lot of irrational things.

Since Joe pretty much admitted that they aren’t serious right now a losing streak is doable lol

With NOLA and OKC playing for seeding I can see the C’s getting smoked in both games. The magic number is still 4 games, best not mess around too much.

I will be interested to see the line up for tomorrow. Does Joe play everyone vs a good team to get some continuity back or do they rest certain players.

I know Charlotte will be a lot of guys resting.

It was frustrating to see them play their starters good minutes last night and look like they were committed to winning only to hear that they were practicing certain defensive looks in crunch time, which allowed Atlanta to win the game.

Of course, there's a non-zero chance that Joe actually thought that was a good choice, and just came up with the "experimenting" thing after it blew up in his face.

It just seems odd to me that OT of a game where the starters played heavy minutes would be the time to experiment.   

I don't buy that they were experimenting by having KP defend a fast guard. That's something that just wouldn't ever work, because no 7-footer is able to keep up with a fast guard.

I think these last two games were a complete botch-job by the coach and the players. If they're not going to take these games seriously, then they should just rest all of the top 6-8 guys. Pretty silly to play starters 35-45 minutes when you're not serious about winning, especially when health has been a big problem area for Celtics teams of the last 15 years. If Joe wants to experiment, he should try running an actual play on the last possession of a tie game, maybe force the defense to make a great play or commit a foul.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4325 on: March 29, 2024, 05:00:51 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
https://x.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1773701422724342260?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Crazy that we’re still the top net rating even with the 15th defense, but man, this certainly lends credit to the argument that we’ve stopped playing hard defensively.

Yup just look at the last 5 games we've allowed 123, 120, 113, 102, and 119 points....not pretty stellar numbers esp anything 110+.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4326 on: March 29, 2024, 05:35:15 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

Yup just look at the last 5 games we've allowed 123, 120, 113, 102, and 119 points....not pretty stellar numbers esp anything 110+.

Well if you consider the fact that some of those games we're sitting out half our guys and also, we have the 1 seed wrapped up, I don't really worry about that. The last month of this season is literally just a glorified preseason for this team. Not to make excuses but I doubt many C's fans even care that much about these games and their results per say. If this happens in the playoffs, fire away. But we're not in the playoffs yet. I think they'll figure it out on that end. Also, Holiday was missing and he's one of our best defenders.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4327 on: March 29, 2024, 07:39:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Some fun games on the slate tonight. Gonna go see Edwards take on the nuggets here. My brother is watching wemby down where he lives. Happy Friday everyone!

« Reply #4328 on: March 29, 2024, 07:45:38 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 661
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Question for the board

Would you rather play the heat in round one or the sixers with Embiid (not really knowing what Embiid has to offer)?

« Reply #4329 on: March 29, 2024, 08:27:50 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Question for the board

Would you rather play the heat in round one or the sixers with Embiid (not really knowing what Embiid has to offer)?

Sixers. The C’s own Philly.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4330 on: March 29, 2024, 08:49:54 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Question for the board

The Sixers only because I think the Heat play dirty and get away with everything.  The Sixers are a better team when healthy, but I can’t imagine Embiid will be ready for the rigors of playoff basketball

« Reply #4331 on: March 29, 2024, 10:50:33 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Question for the board

I say Miami. Let’s just see where this team stands from the get go. If they aren’t championship material I’d rather know early. They might take Philly lightly and a heavily rested Embiid could finally beat them as well. Either way I guess we’d know lol

« Reply #4332 on: March 29, 2024, 11:28:41 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Wolves thrashed Denver Nuggets at Mile High. Woah.

Nuggets missing Jamal Murray may be huge. Is he out for an extended period of time?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4333 on: March 30, 2024, 12:13:16 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Genuine question, how do people think Embid is going to come in “healthy”? He has been injured by or in the playoffs every year of his career. Crazier, even when he has been healthy he has been wiped by the playoffs from a conditioning standpoint. Do people think he is frozen in ice right now or something?

I get being paranoid but I try to keep some reason in my paranoia and it seems a lot more likely jimmy butler goes super nova and the heat role players are on fire than Embid comes back from not being able to run for two months and is dominant

« Reply #4334 on: March 30, 2024, 12:24:31 AM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Genuine question, how do people think Embid is going to come in “healthy”? He has been injured by or in the playoffs every year of his career. Crazier, even when he has been healthy he has been wiped by the playoffs from a conditioning standpoint. Do people think he is frozen in ice right now or something?

I get being paranoid but I try to keep some reason in my paranoia and it seems a lot more likely jimmy butler goes super nova and the heat role players are on fire than Embid comes back from not being able to run for two months and is dominant

He’s never healthy because by the time the playoffs roll around he’s worn down and/or injured. Maybe he comes back and that knee is good to go for at least one round? Regardless if this team has to worry about the first round that would be a bag sign. It’s time to be the boogeyman and stop seeing ghosts.