Author Topic: Mannix on OMF radio show.  (Read 7739 times)

Mannix on OMF radio show.
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:24:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I try to avoid talk radio like crazy but turn to WEEI just as Ordway, Merloni and Fauria started an interview with Chris Mannix. He said a bunch of interesting stuff.

The Celtics and Kyrie have had no contact in weeks. He thinks Kyrie is gone but...it's Kyrie, so who knows.

Kyrie didn't like the control Stevens had on the team and Stevens game in and game out philosophy. Stevens wants to win every game and get better every game whereas, Kyrie want to float during the season then turn it on late and in the playoffs.

Kyrie and Brown's relationship was terrible and caused problems.

Ainge never really made a formal offer but discussed different forms of an offer with New Orleans. Mannix thought Ainge would offer Tatum for Davis but only Tatum and filler and no where close to the draft package that LA gave them. There would be no Tatum + Brown or the Memphis pick.

By salary filler he meant Marcus Smart who was definitely on the market.

He doesn't see anyway Ainge goes after Capela or Conley due to salary reasons.

He thinks a new Horford 3 year deal gets done, maybe by this weekend but if they are in negotiations, could get an extension on Horford's opt out date and finish it before the end of the month.

He sees no way Hayward is moved as his value across the league is too low to get anything back resembling value.

He thinks Rozier might be an option to return but only if they feel they can resurrect his game, attitude and relationships on the team back to where he was during the 2018 playoff run. Rozier was a major problem last year.

At that point, I got out of the car so he might have had more to add. You can probably find the interview on WEEI.com if you want to give a listen. It was refreshing since WEEI has so few good Celtic spots on their shows.

Re: Mannix on OMF radio show.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Thanks Nick, this was awesome. TP.

I am not surprised by a lot of the Kyrie stuff--especially his respective beefs with Stevens/Brown. I really can't wait for Kyrie to leave. I will take Brad's "genius" over Kyrie's "genius" any day of the week.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:38:53 PM by Jiri Welsch »

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 05:32:13 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Thanks for posting this.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
"Kyrie and Brown's relationship was terrible and caused problems."

I wonder if this was partially why Brown got benched a lot

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Thanks for the info Nick.  TP.

so i wonder if the initial options that DA gave the Pels ie Brown + picks was based on the fact that..

"Kyrie and Brown's relationship was terrible and caused problems." 

IE if DA could trade Brown as a part of a deal to get AD, then Kyrie would have at least one of his 'problem areas' addressed.  obviously DA wasn't getting rid of Brad Stevens.

I wonder what the beef was with Brown?  Maybe that Brown actually pushed back when KI went to the press and blamed the young guys for the team's problems?

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 05:35:29 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Pretty much Kyrie vs Brown/Rozier.

I like Brown but knew he was a major contributor to this mess. His comments after the Orlando game showed it.

Sounds like Terry is a last resort. Expect he will wait and wait as a RFA like Smart did.

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Interesting. 

Most of that stuff isn't surprising, and has been speculated about, but I didn't know the Kyrie / Brown relationship was that bitter.  Tense, yes, but actual hate / intense dislike?  But, I guess it makes sense.  Jaylen is an actually intelligent guy.  He likes to think about real issues, and he's pretty thoughtful.  Kyrie is like Stephon Marbury after he's eaten some paste.  Just complete random nonsense, disguised as intellectualism.  With Kyrie, I suspect that you either laugh at his idiocy and don't take it at all seriously, or you hate the guy.  When the idiot in the locker room is calling you out in the media and saying you're not pulling your weight, I guess that's going to make things harder to take.  Not everybody suffers fools gladly, and that sounds like what we have here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
So sounds like he became the one he fled with those issues. Not liking Stevens control is essentially very Lebron like and sad to hear if true. If true, I would choose Stevens over Kyrie 100 times over 100. If true, I hope he never wins a title again and whines his way to insignificance. If true, Good luck with the  Nets coach Kyrie, he is not a puppet on your string either and wait til things dont go your way in Brooklyn..tough place to let the fans down and that media is relentless as well. If not true, I hope he signs with Celtics 😁🤪🤢

If true, I would take Brown’s IQ and Tatum over Kyrie.

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
My guess is Brown challenged Kyrie on and off the floor. Called BS on a lot of what Kyrie said about the team as well as real world issues.

Kyrie got mad and took his ball and went home.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Interesting. 

Most of that stuff isn't surprising, and has been speculated about, but I didn't know the Kyrie / Brown relationship was that bitter.  Tense, yes, but actual hate / intense dislike?  But, I guess it makes sense.  Jaylen is an actually intelligent guy.  He likes to think about real issues, and he's pretty thoughtful.  Kyrie is like Stephon Marbury after he's eaten some paste. Just complete random nonsense, disguised as intellectualism.  With Kyrie, I suspect that you either laugh at his idiocy and don't take it at all seriously, or you hate the guy.  When the idiot in the locker room is calling you out in the media and saying you're not pulling your weight, I guess that's going to make things harder to take.  Not everybody suffers fools gladly, and that sounds like what we have here.

Lol Roy H. not pulling any punches. This is how I see it also. It baffles me that some fans discount the legitimate impact this would have on a team's performance. No grown man is going to happily sit by and let another grown man trash him, especially one he doesn't respect.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 05:42:24 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My guess is Brown challenged Kyrie on and off the floor. Called BS on a lot of what Kyrie said about the team as well as real world issues.

What I find most interesting is that Marcus Smart publicly backed Kyrie at the time Kyrie and Brown were having a public spat.  Tells me all I need to know about who was right (Kyrie) and who was being a baby (Brown).

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

What I find most interesting is that Marcus Smart publicly backed Kyrie at the time Kyrie and Brown were having a public spat.  Tells me all I need to know about who was right (Kyrie) and who was being a baby (Brown).

Because Smart is ALWAYS the most reasonable and level headed guy?  lol
he is the one that missed time because he punched a picture frame

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 05:45:27 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

It looks that simple to me as well.

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 05:45:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So sounds like he became the one he fled with those issues. Not liking Stevens control is essentially very Lebron like and sad to hear if true. If true, I would choose Stevens over Kyrie 100 times over 100. If true, I hope he never wins a title again and whines his way to insignificance. If true, Good luck with the  Nets coach Kyrie, he is not a puppet on your string either and wait til things dont go your way in Brooklyn..tough place to let the fans down and that media is relentless as well. If not true, I hope he signs with Celtics 😁🤪🤢

I want to see the alternate universe where Kyrie came of age surrounded by less egocentric vets and useless coaches.

When he was drafted, the Cavs were a hot mess, completely dysfunctional.  Luol Deng was shocked by it.  The coaches weren't coaching, the vets were all doing their own things.  You had wastes of talent like Andrew Bynum, and an open feud between Kyrie and Dion Waiters.

Kyrie's first mentor was Lebron, and Kyrie seems to have picked up almost all of Lebron's bad habits.

I think he's a fantastic player, and I wish he could have honed his skills in a strong environment.

That said, Kyrie was absolutely right that Danny should have signed more vets last off-season.  I said it at the time:  giving contracts to borderline NBA players like Jabari Bird was a mistake.  We should have used a roster spot who was the 2019 equivalent of James Jones, Elton Brand or Juwan Howard.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Find it interesting what he said about Rozier. Sounds like Rozier's time here is running low. Sounds like everyone is a bit fed up with him.

Kyrie does not fit Stevens philosophy. Doesn't fit his system nor the idea of how to approach the season.

Plus Kyrie never bought in on defense. Not so sure the Celtics are all to upset Kyrie is moving on.