Author Topic: New three point line changing the way college ball is played (Washington Post)  (Read 5013 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/08/AR2008110802548.html?sub=AR

The specific effects of the deeper arc depend on whom you ask. Some coaches say it will discourage average shooters from attempting three-pointers; others say it won't. Some say it will create more open space, as was intended; others say the opposite. Some say it will resurrect the midrange game; others are not so sure.

Over the years, compelling evidence mounted to suggest the shot was too close and overused. Teams attempted 9.2 three-pointers per game during the 1986-87 season. Last season, teams attempted 19.07 three-pointers per game. For Butler, the successful small school from Indiana, 40.9 percent of its points came on three-pointers.

A study of more than 4,000 games over the past five years confirmed the well-established notion that the midrange game has been on life support and the game has evolved into a contest of three-pointers and close-range shots. Ken Pomeroy, a college basketball statistician, concluded that less than half as many shots were taken between 10 and 15 feet than were taken between 20 and 25 feet. And the accuracy for midrange shots was less than it was for short three-pointers.

I found it an interesting article. 

I think we will see teams looking to create more balance in the future instead of some of these smaller three point shooting teams that have popped up.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'd like to see more of the mid range game in college and hopefully this move will help.   While we are at it I'd like to see the international 3 pt line pushed back and get rid of the trapezoid lane. 

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'd like to see more of the mid range game in college and hopefully this move will help.   While we are at it I'd like to see the international 3 pt line pushed back and get rid of the trapezoid lane. 

while i agree with moving the 3 pt line for international play, why get rid of the trapezoid lane? i think the nba's lane is too small as it is. a wider lane might help promote more mid-range shots and lessen the reliance upon dunks by tall stiffs.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

while i agree with moving the 3 pt line for international play, why get rid of the trapezoid lane? i think the nba's lane is too small as it is. a wider lane might help promote more mid-range shots and lessen the reliance upon dunks by tall stiffs.

The trapezoid lane makes it very difficult to post up.  A huge reason why Tim Duncan is not a fan of the international game and a huge reason why you see international bigs that like to play on the outside rather than post up.  I'd rather see the lane like it is in the NBA.

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

The trapezoid lane makes it very difficult to post up.  A huge reason why Tim Duncan is not a fan of the international game and a huge reason why you see international bigs that like to play on the outside rather than post up.  I'd rather see the lane like it is in the NBA.

Whatever your prefered court type, I think we can agree that all leagues should have the same court, and the same rules, and that includes college ball. If everyone plays by the same rules, then the quality of play will improve in the long run, especially in olympic play and in other international tourneys.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
they should make the halfcourt shot instantly tie the game, that'd be sweet
When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I though FIBA agreed to phase out the trapezoid lane in a few years.