Author Topic: 2013 CB Historical Draft: Team Rosters  (Read 47253 times)

Re: 2013 CB Historical Draft: Team Rosters
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
And BTW, here is the head to head for Kareem and Lanier

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=laniebo01&p2=abdulka01

Obviously Kareem out performed Lanier, but not nearly as much as one would think even in Kareem's 71-72 season, the year that you picked.  And the year I picked, 73-74, Lanier out played Kareem in about half of the games.

What relevance is there if Lanier outplayed Kareem in 73-74 if Yoki picked 71-72?
I picked Lanier in 73-74.

yes but if you are comparing him to yoki's team it doesnt have any relevance, yoki didnt pick 73-74 Kareem. 

H2H matchups have little to no value here if you are comparing different years.  Might as well be comparing Lanier's h2h stats to a completely different player.
I get that, my point was merely that Yoki keeps calling Kareem unstoppable, which just isn't true.  I mean Lanier kept Kareem well below his normal numbers in 71-72 and Lanier's team was terrible that year (meaning it was pretty much just him).  You put a similar Lanier (which he was in 71-72 and 73-74 and frankly Kareem was pretty much the same player in 73-74 as he was in 71-72, Oscar was just on his last legs that year) on a team with Haywood, Dr. J, with guys like Williams, Thompson, Lacey, etc. on the bench and all of a sudden the Kareem that is being held below his averages by Lanier in 71-72 and who doesn't have an Oscar Robertson or possibly even a Bob Dandridge on his team (which Yoki's team doesn't) and Kareem not only isn't unstoppable, his team isn't winning.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2013, 12:51:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Also, apologies in advance to the team that I voted top-5 in both offense and defense, but left out of my top-5 overall.
That team really needs to get a better special teams unit!  ;)

« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
CB Historical Draft Milwaukee Bucks

Coach: Dr. Jack Ramsey

Starters

PG:  Norm Nixon ('78-79) 17.1 ppg .542 FG% 9.0 apg 2.5 spg
SG:  David Thompson ('77-78) 27.2 ppg .521 FG% 4.1 rpg  4.1 apg 1.2 spg
SF:  James Worthy ('88-89) 20.5 ppg .548 FG% 6.0 rpg 1.3 spg
PF: Terry Cummings ('82-83) 23.7 ppg .523 FG% 10.6 rpg 1.8 spg
C: Moses Malone ('82-83) 24.5 ppg .501 FG% 15.3 rpg 2.0 bpg

Bench:[/u]

PG: Darnell Valentine ('84-85) 11.6 ppg .473 FG% 7.0 apg
SG: Craig Hodges ('87-88) .491 3P%  .831 FT%
SF: Calvin Natt ('81-82) 17.7 ppg .576 FG% 8.2 rpg
       Robert Reid (’80-81) 15.9 ppg .482 FG% 7.1 rpg
PF: Rick Mahorn (’87-88) 10.7 ppg .574 FG% 8.4 rpg
C:  Tom Owens (’78-79) 18.5 ppg .548 FG% 9.0 rpg
      Chuck Nevitt (’84-85)  HAVE I MENTIONED HE’S 7 FOOT 5???!!!

Overview

I think I drafted a well-rounded squad.  My team has shooting, scoring, and toughness.  They can crash the boards with the best of them then get out running & gunning with Nixon pushing the pace with Thompson and Worthy running the wings.

When the game slows down, you have an "in his prime" Moses Malone working the block.  Its doesn't get much more gritty then that.  Add to that, a young Cummings and you have a complementary interior.  If you need things to get rough, you get the notorious Rick Mahorn to check into the game to throw his body around.  Lastly, you have Craig Hodges shooting the rock from three point land at nearly a 50% cliip!  That's incredible.  I haven't even mentioned Calvin Natt and his 58% FG percentage coming off the bench to add a scoring touch.

Overall, I think this is a top 3 overall team and one of the better teams offensively in this draft.  I tried to draft complementary parts and felt I did a good job of building a championship caliber starting five.   My bench fills needs in several aspects of the game and is more than competent.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Apologies for the delay.

Feedback would be awesome.  People have been pretty silent on my squad.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2013, 02:58:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
People aren't talking about Milwaukee.....and I don't have a clue why not. Moses Malone is definitely a superduperstar type. Add in Thompson, Worthy and easily one of the more overlooked excellent players of this era, Cummings, and I don't see how people aren't talking about Milwaukee.

Nixon was a very good to excellent PG and the bench, IMO, is loaded. Reid is just a fabulous SF with toughness. Then Valentine was a tremendous defensive player as was Mahorn who could probably start for 2-4 teams in this competition. Natt was also a tremendous pick up.

I like the 2 way quality from this team. Not the best offensive team but very good. Not the best defensive team, but more than very good. Deep at almost every position. Once again, I think Dons has shown why he has been so successful at this draft.

« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
My thoughts on each team:

New York Knicks – Think this would be a high powered offensive team, really fun to watch.  I think I’d see great ball movement starting from Bird, and a lot of flash from guys like World B Free and Dawkins.  Perhaps one of the funnest teams to watch.  But while Dawkins would be entertaining at the C, I think that would be a weakness come playoff time with a lot of great C’s in this league.

Los Angeles Lakers – Probably has the best/most dominate player in this era, with some great defenders filling out this roster, so they’ll always be in contention.  I think they’ll blew it with the 3rd pick of Michael Cooper though.  Having your 3rd round pick back up your 2nd round pick is not a good way to maximize your teams potential.  A better pick here, and I’d probably have them as my top team.

Seattle Supersonics – I hate the idea of building a team around Bill Walton, if only because even in his best season he’ll miss 20% of your games, so I think it’s downhill from there when you start with a weak centerpiece.  Solid team all around, but looks very unspectacular in the games when Walton will be out, is Adrian Dantley supposed to carry the load?  Not the guy I’d want as my part time main man, and usual 2nd banana. 

Kansas City Kings – One of my favorite teams, any team with Magic is going to be transform into Showtime, and with a scoring machine like Bernard King, and a great passer like Sikma in the post, and willing scorers who can take a back seat in Toney and Nance, I see this team fitting together nicely, especially on O.  One of my favorites on Offense, and one of my favorite all-around teams.

Milwaukee Bucks – Another one of my favorite teams.  I think the main trio of Thompson/Worthy/Malone would be underappreciated in real life, but over perform.  Grabbing David Thompson in round 3 is what put these guys into contender status in my book.

Philadelphia 76ers – All around solid team, and championship contender.  Best front court is the league?  But offset by the subpar backcourt, as I don’t like Aguirre (or Theus) at the 2.  I think Philly should have gone for fit here, instead of more firepower.

Denver Nuggets – I wanted this team to draft Mark Aguirre for the SF so bad, may have happened too if he wasn’t taken 1 pick before them in the 5th round.  With Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, and Vinnie Johnson all playing well together for the Pistons in real life, I have no doubt they’ll fit well together here.  And as great as Joe Dumars was, Dennis Johnson is definitely an upgrade at the 2, and Maurice Lucas fills in that Bad Boy style perfectly.  This team fits together so well, except I just don’t see Vandeweghe fitting in.  That hurts this team I think.  I just don’t see the style coming together well, otherwise I would have had them as a dark horse contender on chemistry and fit alone.

Atlanta Hawks – I’m not a fan of building around Cowens in this league (his MVP year he still wasn’t All-NBA 1st team) and Parish.  Hey you know they can play well with other superstars, but does this team lack the go-to alpha dog to succeed?  Or will this solid team come together like the 2013 Indiana Pacers going toe-to-toe with superstar laden teams?  Not one of my favorites, but they do have talent.

San Diego Clippers – Not a fan of the Gervin/English tandem, though I know they can put points up on the board, so can everyone else in this league.  Not sure if they’d co-exist well  The low post presence, especially with Tree Rollins, is near the bottom of the league.  Not sure what to make of Richardson, great stats in ’80, but can he do that on a winning team?  Well documented issues throughout his life, openly criticized the league, made racial comments on multiple occasions, would his 1980 version be bringing baggage to the team?  Not a fan of the Clippers.

Boston Celtics – big fan of this team.  I think the starting 5 fits together nicely.  I see a clear option A (‘Nique), a clear option B (McHale), a clear option C (Birdsong), a point guard to keep them all happy, and a Center who knows his role is just to play defense.  Probably not a championship contender, but a fun-to-watch playoff team at least.

Dallas Mavericks– another team where I don’t like the fit.  In my personal opinion, Elvin Hayes is one of the worst players for leagues like this (though Bobby Jones is probably one of the best players you could pair with him).  Hayes, while a great individual player, but doesn’t get along well with others.  Worst assist % of all the superstars I believe.  Team has an undersized PF and C at 6’7” and 6’9” in a league where you have a lot of outstanding big men.  I love Tiny Archibald, but think his style might clash with Hayes.

Washington Bullets – like Atlanta, a solid, but unspectacular team.  Contender for Best Defensive team.  A great defensive front court to go against the league’s elite low post scorers.  Don’t know how well Walter Davis fits as I see this as a half court team, but I see Davis as a player who wants to play in the open court.  I see a good fit for the most part though. 

Top Overall:
1.   Kings
2.   76ers
3.   Bucks

Top Offensive:
1.   Knicks
2.   Kings

Top Defensive:
1.   Bullets
2.   Lakers
3.   Nuggets

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

New York Knicks – Think this would be a high powered offensive team, really fun to watch.  I think I’d see great ball movement starting from Bird, and a lot of flash from guys like World B Free and Dawkins.  Perhaps one of the funnest teams to watch.  But while Dawkins would be entertaining at the C, I think that would be a weakness come playoff time with a lot of great C’s in this league.

Los Angeles Lakers – Probably has the best/most dominate player in this era, with some great defenders filling out this roster, so they’ll always be in contention.  I think they’ll blew it with the 3rd pick of Michael Cooper though.  Having your 3rd round pick back up your 2nd round pick is not a good way to maximize your teams potential.  A better pick here, and I’d probably have them as my top team.

Seattle Supersonics – I hate the idea of building a team around Bill Walton, if only because even in his best season he’ll miss 20% of your games, so I think it’s downhill from there when you start with a weak centerpiece.  Solid team all around, but looks very unspectacular in the games when Walton will be out, is Adrian Dantley supposed to carry the load?  Not the guy I’d want as my part time main man, and usual 2nd banana. 

Kansas City Kings – One of my favorite teams, any team with Magic is going to be transform into Showtime, and with a scoring machine like Bernard King, and a great passer like Sikma in the post, and willing scorers who can take a back seat in Toney and Nance, I see this team fitting together nicely, especially on O.  One of my favorites on Offense, and one of my favorite all-around teams.

Milwaukee Bucks – Another one of my favorite teams.  I think the main trio of Thompson/Worthy/Malone would be underappreciated in real life, but over perform.  Grabbing David Thompson in round 3 is what put these guys into contender status in my book.

Philadelphia 76ers – All around solid team, and championship contender.  Best front court is the league?  But offset by the subpar backcourt, as I don’t like Aguirre (or Theus) at the 2.  I think Philly should have gone for fit here, instead of more firepower.

Denver Nuggets – I wanted this team to draft Mark Aguirre for the SF so bad, may have happened too if he wasn’t taken 1 pick before them in the 5th round.  With Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer, and Vinnie Johnson all playing well together for the Pistons in real life, I have no doubt they’ll fit well together here.  And as great as Joe Dumars was, Dennis Johnson is definitely an upgrade at the 2, and Maurice Lucas fills in that Bad Boy style perfectly.  This team fits together so well, except I just don’t see Vandeweghe fitting in.  That hurts this team I think.  I just don’t see the style coming together well, otherwise I would have had them as a dark horse contender on chemistry and fit alone.

Atlanta Hawks – I’m not a fan of building around Cowens in this league (his MVP year he still wasn’t All-NBA 1st team) and Parish.  Hey you know they can play well with other superstars, but does this team lack the go-to alpha dog to succeed?  Or will this solid team come together like the 2013 Indiana Pacers going toe-to-toe with superstar laden teams?  Not one of my favorites, but they do have talent.

San Diego Clippers – Not a fan of the Gervin/English tandem, though I know they can put points up on the board, so can everyone else in this league.  Not sure if they’d co-exist well  The low post presence, especially with Tree Rollins, is near the bottom of the league.  Not sure what to make of Richardson, great stats in ’80, but can he do that on a winning team?  Well documented issues throughout his life, openly criticized the league, made racial comments on multiple occasions, would his 1980 version be bringing baggage to the team?  Not a fan of the Clippers.

Boston Celtics – big fan of this team.  I think the starting 5 fits together nicely.  I see a clear option A (‘Nique), a clear option B (McHale), a clear option C (Birdsong), a point guard to keep them all happy, and a Center who knows his role is just to play defense.  Probably not a championship contender, but a fun-to-watch playoff team at least.

Dallas Mavericks– another team where I don’t like the fit.  In my personal opinion, Elvin Hayes is one of the worst players for leagues like this (though Bobby Jones is probably one of the best players you could pair with him).  Hayes, while a great individual player, but doesn’t get along well with others.  Worst assist % of all the superstars I believe.  Team has an undersized PF and C at 6’7” and 6’9” in a league where you have a lot of outstanding big men.  I love Tiny Archibald, but think his style might clash with Hayes.

Washington Bullets – like Atlanta, a solid, but unspectacular team.  Contender for Best Defensive team.  A great defensive front court to go against the league’s elite low post scorers.  Don’t know how well Walter Davis fits as I see this as a half court team, but I see Davis as a player who wants to play in the open court.  I see a good fit for the most part though. 

Top Overall:
1.   Kings
2.   76ers
3.   Bucks

Top Offensive:
1.   Knicks
2.   Kings

Top Defensive:
1.   Bullets
2.   Lakers
3.   Nuggets

But in that ONE CHAMPIONSHIP-PRODUCING season, he played 19 playoff games and won Finals MVP...Plus, his team swept Kareem and Co.

He played well vs Kareem that yr, too.

People seem to only want to post THEIR point of view.

In his 6th man of the year time with BOS in 85-86, he played 80 or 82 games.

You, as some others here, are too focused on whether he will play or not. In THIS format, it is an unfair slight.

« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2013, 04:02:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I really like that Atlanta team.

I think they are a nightmare to play against. So dominant on the backboards. They will create a huge number of extra possessions. Tough defensive team. Very physical. Overwhelming in the paint with Cowens and Parish. Terrific starting frontcourt (Marques Johnson and Tom Chambers along with the two bigs). Good perimeter play. Excellent depth. So many players contributing and putting pressure on their opponent.

One of the toughest teams to matchup against. Just relentless. I think they are one of the top teams. They put so much pressure on you.

« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2013, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

Top Overall:
1.   Kings
2.   76ers
3.   Bucks

Top Offensive:
1.   Knicks
2.   Kings

Top Defensive:
1.   Bullets
2.   Lakers
3.   Nuggets

But in that ONE CHAMPIONSHIP-PRODUCING season, he played 19 playoff games and won Finals MVP...Plus, his team swept Kareem and Co.

You, as some others here, are too focused on whether he will play or not. In THIS format, it is an unfair slight.

What point of view is one to post but their own?

I used to play whatifsports.com.  Over there, if you picked a guy like '77 Walton on your team, you know he'll be injured around 20% of the time, only problem is you don't know and don't get to pick which games he misses.  That's the mindset I have here with this game.  He'll miss 20% of the games, you don't know which 20%, that's huge to me, and I think it's a pretty fair slight.

Also it doesn't matter if how many games he played in '85-'86. In this format, is that not pretty irrelevant?

Are you just focusing on a 19 game stretch for Walton in '77?  His playoff run won't matter when you're team doesn't even make the playoffs because he missed so many games in the regular season.

And the rest of your squad?  If you think a player like Walton will can single handedly beat any team here, because he played well in the playoffs in '77, I disagree.  Give '77 Kareem the teammates he has here, is Walton still getting past Kareem?  What if '77 Walton had to go against '72 Kareem? Either way I don't like Walton's chances. Is that not what this format is all about?

Just take my opinion with a grain of salt though, just an outsider telling you how I see it.  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Top Overall:
1.   Kings
2.   76ers
3.   Bucks

Top Offensive:
1.   Knicks
2.   Kings

Top Defensive:
1.   Bullets
2.   Lakers
3.   Nuggets

I respect your thoughts but let me make an argument here.

You are basing your ranking of the Lakers because we reached on Michael Cooper?

While it's true that it was a definite reach, but cmon, dropping the Lakers out of contention because of that? Look at the players the Lakers drafted after Cooper though? Multiple time All NBA defense, All NBA-ers, their skills compliments Mocnrief and Jabbar. Isn't it a bit unfair to judge the team based on the fact that we reached for a player early? A dynamic one at that?

Not to mention this brick wall defense is only second to Rebus' and AB's team? Not being in the overall team, the Lakers are fine. But 2nd in Best Defense. We demand a recount.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Top Overall:
1.   Kings
2.   76ers
3.   Bucks

Top Offensive:
1.   Knicks
2.   Kings

Top Defensive:
1.   Bullets
2.   Lakers
3.   Nuggets

I used to play whatifsports.com.  Over there, if you picked a guy like '77 Walton on your team, you know he'll be injured around 20% of the time, only problem is you don't know and don't get to pick which games he misses.  That's the mindset I have here with this game.  He'll miss 20% of the games, you don't know which 20%, that's huge to me, and I think it's a pretty fair slight.

Also it doesn't matter if how many games he played in '85-'86, in this format, is that not pretty irrelevant?

Are you just focusing on a 19 game stretch for Walton in '77?  His playoff run won't matter when you're team doesn't even make the playoffs because he missed so many games in the regular season.

And the rest of your squad?  If you think a player like Walton will can single handedly beat any team here, because he played well in the playoffs in '77, I disagree.  Give '77 Kareem the teammates he has here, is Walton still getting past Kareem?  What if '77 Walton had to go against '72 Kareem? Either way I don't like Walton's chances. Is that not what this format is all about?

Just take my opinion with a grain of salt though, just an outsider telling you how I see it.  ;)

But the bottom line, to your 1st para, is that he played in 19 playoff games, producing a Finals MVP and Championship. That is most, of not all - of the most important games.

Let's not forget that POR, back then was not seeded 1st - LA was...that seeding was I'm sure due to - as you and others allude to - him missing some games.

But that seeding (or his games missed) didn't matter then, huh?

And for your last para, if you surround Bill with AD, Mo, Buck and Co, THAT Walton would still be victorious. You are talking about Bill Walton's team BACK THEN outplaying Kareem's, not even counting the talent he is surrounded with here.

But that is your point of view.

« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Additionally, no one here really knows what the Panelists eventually vote or agree on...that is confidential and subjective.

One Panelist here has already admitted to being biased towards one team - because of one player.

So are we building our teams to appease Panelists? Or are we building our teams based off of what we see as far as fit?

I build my on fit...always have, always will. I have, and always will - draft the best big man available with my first pick in these drafts, and after Kareem that was Bill Walton - as someone here admitted to.

« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

Top Overall:
1.   Kings
2.   76ers
3.   Bucks

Top Offensive:
1.   Knicks
2.   Kings

Top Defensive:
1.   Bullets
2.   Lakers
3.   Nuggets

Also it doesn't matter if how many games he played in '85-'86, in this format, is that not pretty irrelevant?

But the bottom line, to your 1st para, is that he played in 19 playoff games, producing a Finals MVP and Championship. That is most, of not all - of the most important games.

Let's not forget that POR, back then was not seeded 1st - LA was...that seeding was I'm sure due to - as you and others allude to - him missing some games.

And for your last para, if you surround Bill with AD, Mo, Buck and Co, THAT Walton would still be victorious. You are talking about Bill Walton's team BACK THEN outplaying Kareem's, not even counting the talent he is surrounded with here.

You act like Walton is the only Finals MVP here.  The '77 Playoffs was the best performance any player could ever have.  You have teams with multiple Finals MVP's on them (Denver and Milwaukee), so by your rationale I guess we should just close the voting and let them duke it out.

Don't like Seattle, but like you I hate when people disagree with my picks/rationale, so that's why I don't play.  :)

Yoki, I'll reply to you're post a little later (about to start my commute home).

« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Top Overall:
1.   Kings
2.   76ers
3.   Bucks

Top Offensive:
1.   Knicks
2.   Kings

Top Defensive:
1.   Bullets
2.   Lakers
3.   Nuggets

You act like Walton is the only Finals MVP here.  The '77 Playoffs was the best performance any player could ever have.  You have teams with multiple Finals MVP's on them (Denver and Milwaukee), so by your rationale I guess we should just close the voting and let them duke it out.

Don't like Seattle, but like you I hate when people disagree with my picks/rationale, so that's why I don't play.  :)

Yoki, I'll reply to you're post a little later (about to start my commute home).

First post of yours to NOT mention Bill Walton's injuries, availability.

TP to you, My Man.

And No - why close the voting? You, I, nor any other GM here knows what formula the Panelists will use. My only point was that it seemed a bit BIASED towards either ME as a poster or MY TEAM here to just focus on ONE thing - Bill Walton's injuries.

I've played in other drafts on here (Pick Two, CB draft) and at times they seem biased. Some prominent posters on here have even admitted to that.

I will continue to play, because I don't back down.

« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Bdm, believe me the Aguirre pick broke my heart.