Author Topic: ESPN Article 4 Trades for Kawhi Leonard  (Read 7578 times)

Re: ESPN Article 4 Trades for Kawhi Leonard
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Also, a suggested trade was Ingram for Kawhi. You're telling me Ingram ALONE is getting an MVP-Caliber talent? Wow.
Ingram is worth more than 3 bench players despite those three players impacting winning right now more than him, that's how it works in the NBA. Star or star potential is greater than a bunch of good players.

I love this team an awful lot, but if you're making a trade for a all-star you don't give up bench pieces. You give up lottery picks or equivalent young talent. Kawhi doesn't have the leverage of FA like CP3 did after all.

If he is traded I think its similar to the PG/Butler trade, just depends how the leverage washes out. But Kawhi is better than both of them by a large margin so I think he'd fetch more.

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2018, 11:26:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I would do Kyrie +2018 first in a blink of an eye for Leonard (as long as he passes physical)

Id be more worried about Kyrie passing physical than Kawhi.
I'm not worried about either of them passing the physical in the immediate aftermath. I'm worried about the injury issues lingering long term. Both Kyrie's knee and Kawhi's quad have been issues for multiple years now.

Just how it goes with basketball players though, both should be good to be back on the court next year. (fingers crossed)

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Also, a suggested trade was Ingram for Kawhi. You're telling me Ingram ALONE is getting an MVP-Caliber talent? Wow.
Ingram is worth more than 3 bench players despite those three players impacting winning right now more than him, that's how it works in the NBA. Star or star potential is greater than a bunch of good players.

I love this team an awful lot, but if you're making a trade for a all-star you don't give up bench pieces. You give up lottery picks or equivalent young talent. Kawhi doesn't have the leverage of FA like CP3 did after all.

If he is traded I think its similar to the PG/Butler trade, just depends how the leverage washes out. But Kawhi is better than both of them by a large margin so I think he'd fetch more.

Okay, fair points. I'll admit that.

But the suggestion was also SAC 19 Pick. Could be a Top-5 pick.

Ingram is a star in the making, but would Morris, Rozier, Smart + SAC19 still be less in value than Ingram alone? I'd think if SAS liked Smart and got him at a reasonable rate, along with a young piece in Rozier, it could sway SAS to take Boston's deal. Or idk, maybe that's just me.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2018, 11:56:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Ingram is a star in the making, but would Morris, Rozier, Smart + SAC19 still be less in value than Ingram alone? I'd think if SAS liked Smart and got him at a reasonable rate, along with a young piece in Rozier, it could sway SAS to take Boston's deal. Or idk, maybe that's just me.
The issue is that the Sacramento Pick  could as easily be the 8th pick as the 1st, especially given the flattened odds next year.

Just depends on how you evaluate next year's draft and Ingram. Given how high many are on Ingram (many had him over Simmons on their board) I think he'd be valued a lot more but its all on what the Spurs think.

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2018, 12:47:27 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This whole idea of Kyrie for Leonard kind of breaks my brain. I can imagine some lineups that could lay waste to the league, but then I worry - a lot - about building a team that might have to sit two of its best players at crunch time and has only one capable (and aging) big. Then add the question mark that is Kawhi - he's either got a nagging injury or just let everybody who depends on him go hang - his teammates, his coach, the team owners and fans. That's a heck of a lot of risk.

But, but, but -- Smart, Brown, Hayward, Kawhi, Horford. Can that group score and defend? Oh yes. Or if Tatum develops his PG skills, go mad scientist: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Kawhi, Horford. I mean...

Then I remember the current team, if Hayward had been healthy, would probably have gone to the finals. Exhale. Relax. Sit tight - and hope for the Lakers pick to transfer via the lottery...

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 01:10:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The issue is that the Sacramento Pick  could as easily be the 8th pick as the 1st, especially given the flattened odds next year.

Just depends on how you evaluate next year's draft and Ingram. Given how high many are on Ingram (many had him over Simmons on their board) I think he'd be valued a lot more but its all on what the Spurs think.
It could also become Philly's 1st if it hits #1 and Philly's 1st will almost certainly be in the mid to high 20's next year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kawhi for Kyrie, I can understand.  Adding the Kings pick, like the article suggests? No thanks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Kawhi for Kyrie, I can understand.  Adding the Kings pick, like the article suggests? No thanks.
I thought it was Boston's 1st this year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 03:15:36 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Ainge isn't trading Kyrie, unless he expresses an interest in being traded. And few players are going to choose to go to SA and play with a roster with little else than role players when they can possibly contend for titles in Boston.

I think the most equitable trade for both teams (provided KL is healthy and wants Boston) would involve Brown. I just don't think there's a way to match salaries in a reasonable way. Personally, I'd love to get a healthy KL with his head on straight, but building around Tatum and Brown might be the best course we can take.

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 03:31:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I thought it was Boston's 1st this year

Nope.

Pending the physical, the Celtics would be best served by aggressively pursuing Leonard, going so far as to entertain adding additional picks (up to and including the Lakers/Kings pick owed from the Jayson Tatum deal last June).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think it's interesting that opinions about Kyrie seem to have changed lately, both in the media and even here.  Beginning of the season he was considered the superstar the Celtics needed.  Boston was "his team."  Now he's brought up in trade rumors, people are questioning his character, etc.  It may be as simple as another shortened season due to injury.  But interesting nonetheless.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think it's interesting that opinions about Kyrie seem to have changed lately, both in the media and even here.  Beginning of the season he was considered the superstar the Celtics needed.  Boston was "his team."  Now he's brought up in trade rumors, people are questioning his character, etc.  It may be as simple as another shortened season due to injury.  But interesting nonetheless.

Lol @tarheels sees some skeptical comments about Kyrie made by folks here and starts celebrating  :P

Anyways even if we trade Kyrie for Kawhi, then what? Are we going to shop Kawhi for Davis or Lebron? Will that be the cycle?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 03:57:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

In this case, I think it's because we have a chance to upgrade without giving up anything else of substance (would only do the BOS pick, not the SAC pick). The same goes for AD, but that dream seems to be waning. There are very few players Cs fans would be comfortable trading Kyrie for.

Kyrie was just named the Auerbach Award winner so I highly doubt he is on the block. In fact, I think part of the reason he was given this award was to entice him to stay and let him know that this is his team.

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 04:41:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Lol @tarheels sees some skeptical comments about Kyrie made by folks here and starts celebrating  :P

Anyways even if we trade Kyrie for Kawhi, then what? Are we going to shop Kawhi for Davis or Lebron? Will that be the cycle?  :P

Not sure what you mean.  I didn't celebrate or even advocate for the trade in my post. 

I definitely wouldn't shop Davis for anyone. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
I would do Kyrie +2018 first in a blink of an eye for Leonard (as long as he passes physical)
Don't think it will happen but I agree.