Author Topic: Nets (27-23) at Celtics (30-19) Game #50 1/28/19  (Read 21597 times)

Re: Nets (27-23) at Celtics (30-19) Game #50 1/28/19
« Reply #420 on: January 29, 2019, 08:46:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I kind of like the lineup that is out there right now.

Rozier / Smart / Brown / JT / Horford.

Isn't that the group that took us to within 1 game of the Finals ?

Nope, we had Morris playing 4.

Edit: I see this is another subtle jab at Kyrie  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Haven't mentioned his name in a week - you are yet another poster completely obsessed with this guy.

****, you don't need to mention it, its so obvious. Also don't flatter yourself, I will continue to defend our players against idiots.
Went too far here. Pretty clear insult levied at tenn smooth. Do not do it again.

I love how this blog protects posters who insult CELTICS players constantly. Enjoy these kind of fans, I hope you guys get filled with such from now on. I'm out.
Well Ry said that she's gone for good so RIP
Why is it seemingly impossible for a handful of posters to let dissenting opinions have their say without launching personal attacks?  I don't care how strongly you believe Gordon Hayward was an MVP snub in Utah, or that he's just days away from returning to 200% of his pre-injury form - it doesn't hurt you at all to have to read that people disagree with your point of view.  Seriously... suck... it... up.

Any poster (including mods) who call people idiots for voicing their opinion is contributing 0 to the ongoing debate about how to improve the Celtics and is just actively making people feel unwelcome on these boards.

I don't think anyone should be permanently banned, but I do think a 5 day suspension from posting for acts like these would give people time to cool off and reconsider how to handle situations where not everyone agrees with them.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #421 on: January 29, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I kind of like the lineup that is out there right now.

Rozier / Smart / Brown / JT / Horford.

Isn't that the group that took us to within 1 game of the Finals ?

Nope, we had Morris playing 4.

Edit: I see this is another subtle jab at Kyrie  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Haven't mentioned his name in a week - you are yet another poster completely obsessed with this guy.

****, you don't need to mention it, its so obvious. Also don't flatter yourself, I will continue to defend our players against idiots.
Went too far here. Pretty clear insult levied at tenn smooth. Do not do it again.

I love how this blog protects posters who insult CELTICS players constantly. Enjoy these kind of fans, I hope you guys get filled with such from now on. I'm out.

Why is it seemingly impossible for a handful of posters to let dissenting opinions have their say without launching personal attacks?  I don't care how strongly you believe Gordon Hayward was an MVP snub in Utah, or that he's just days away from returning to 200% of his pre-injury form - it doesn't hurt you at all to have to read that people disagree with your point of view.  Seriously... suck... it... up.

Any poster (including mods) who call people idiots for voicing their opinion is contributing 0 to the ongoing debate about how to improve the Celtics and is just actively making people feel unwelcome on these boards.

I don't think anyone should be permanently banned, but I do think a 5 day suspension from posting for acts like these would give people time to cool off and reconsider how to handle situations where not everyone agrees with them.
Constant attacks on certain player do contribute to the debate somehow?

« Reply #422 on: January 29, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Alright, nice win by this group tonight without Kyrie!

Smart, Brown, and Horford really brought their A games tonight!

After the win in Toronto, there was an article in RaptorsHQ that suggests that Celtics struggles isn't so much as the young guys not playing well, but rather its because of Horford not playing well or not playing at all due to injuries, minutes restriction etc. I'm starting to think that is really the case.

It's true, even Steve Kerr mentioned it. Kyrie is the best player on this team, but Horford is the engine that makes everything work. When he does well, there's a trickle-down effect for the rest of the team and we win a lot.

Horford is a great team player. Kyrie is a great individual player.

When Kyrie plays well, he generally is not elevating his teammates.
When Horford plays well, he brings his teammates with them and gets the best out of his teammates (they play well too).

I prefer Horford myself. I like guys who make others around them better. Who bring players together and make them a team.

That's too stark.

Kyrie's assist totals are way up, and more than that he's making very good passes - shooting percentages of players who receive his passes is way up (can't find the article now, but if someone else can please post it). When the team has won big games, he doesn't just score every play down the stretch, he's also assisting on big buckets.  The players do sometimes stand around watching him get into his bag of tricks, but I don't think that's always his fault. I think the team gets that they need to leverage his abilities better and I look forward to the team continuing to build on it.

He's also shown a real commitment on defense, improving to the point where he's a good (not great, but good) defender.

« Reply #423 on: January 29, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
we might be facing NETS in 1st round if we can get 3rd seed.

Good call. That's a pretty likely outcome.

We obviously should win a first round match-up against the Nets, but remember that two key players in Dinwiddie and Levert are currently injured.

A play-off rotation of Russell, Dinwiddie, Levert, Harris, Carroll, Kurucs, Hollis-Jefferson, Allen and Davis doesn't look that bad.

« Reply #424 on: January 29, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
the negativity is annoying, but it makes sense to allow different point of views. at the end of the day we're all just rooting for the team

LarBrd33s comments are extremely annoying to me personally (and simultaneously hilarious), but he's obviously a diehard, with a lot of knowledge as seen from his Podcast. and when he's positive about some aspect of the Celts, you know he's bound to be right

Silky obviously doesnt like Hayward, but he's clearly a Cs fan too and has his heart in the right place
It’s for people like these that god created the “ignore” function.  ;D

I genuinely appreciate some of the snark from these posters though!

« Reply #425 on: January 29, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
16 blocks is nice.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

After the win in Toronto, there was an article in RaptorsHQ that suggests that Celtics struggles isn't so much as the young guys not playing well, but rather its because of Horford not playing well or not playing at all due to injuries, minutes restriction etc. I'm starting to think that is really the case.

It's true, even Steve Kerr mentioned it. Kyrie is the best player on this team, but Horford is the engine that makes everything work. When he does well, there's a trickle-down effect for the rest of the team and we win a lot.

When Horford plays well, he brings his teammates with them and gets the best out of his teammates (they play well too).

I prefer Horford myself. I like guys who make others around them better. Who bring players together and make them a team.

That's too stark.

Kyrie's assist totals are way up, and more than that he's making very good passes - shooting percentages of players who receive his passes is way up (can't find the article now, but if someone else can please post it). When the team has won big games, he doesn't just score every play down the stretch, he's also assisting on big buckets.  The players do sometimes stand around watching him get into his bag of tricks, but I don't think that's always his fault. I think the team gets that they need to leverage his abilities better and I look forward to the team continuing to build on it.

He's also shown a real commitment on defense, improving to the point where he's a good (not great, but good) defender.

Yeah, yeah it is.

I was going more along the lines of when Robert Parish described Larry Bird and Michael Jordan and was asked who was the better player. Parish called Bird the better team basketball player. Jordan the better individual basketball player. Jordan had the more individual ability but Bird did more to help the people around him.

That is how I see Horford and Kyrie.

« Reply #427 on: January 29, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

That's too stark.

In many ways, Kyrie has actually been winning me over throughout this season.

I loved that he has improved his defense effort. He has always been a good defender when he tries. He just didn't try often enough (which drove me nuts!). When Kyrie did try, he would often only keep it up for a couple of weeks and then slack off again for a few months. That he has maintained his increased effort on defense thus far has been a surprise to me. A most welcome one.

I have also been pleased with his growth on offense. He is finally trying to create more for his teammates after sorta stagnating for a few years. Renewed enthusiasm for developing his playmaking abilities.

Two things still concern me though:

(1) That while Kyrie is having a career year, the 4 other star players on this team are all having sub-par years. Hayward is not Kyrie's fault. The other three though? I wonder about that.

I am a big fan in the old sentiment that a PG is judged by how the other 4 guys on the floor are playing. It is the PG's job to get them involved, get the ball in spots were they can be effective, and, to make sure everyone is involved. Then find his scoring from there.

Kyrie as a scoring PG is obviously not that type of PG which has always caused me personally some extra difficulty with him. Same with Isaiah Thomas before him.

So for me to feel wholly comfortable with him offensively, what I have to see is the 4 other stars succeeding individually while he too (Kyrie) succeeds.

Until then, I am still skeptical about him (and most other scoring PGs!!).

(2) That criticism of the young players and bad leadership. That whole thing rubbed the wrong way in a big way. He says he won't do that anymore and that he is moving on. I'll take him at his word on that and I am happy he realized he was handling it badly.

« Reply #428 on: January 29, 2019, 12:15:47 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

That's too stark.

I loved that he has improved his defense effort. He has always been a good defender when he tries. He just didn't try often enough (which drove me nuts!). When Kyrie did try, he would often only keep it up for a couple of weeks and then slack off again for a few months. That he has maintained his increased effort on defense thus far has been a surprise to me. A most welcome one.

I have also been pleased with his growth on offense. He is finally trying to create more for his teammates after sorta stagnating for a few years. Renewed enthusiasm for developing his playmaking abilities.

(1) That while Kyrie is having a career year, the 4 other star players on this team are all having sub-par years. Hayward is not Kyrie's fault. The other three though? I wonder about that.

I am a big fan in the old sentiment that a PG is judged by how the other 4 guys on the floor are playing. It is the PG's job to get them involved, get the ball in spots were they can be effective, and, to make sure everyone is involved. Then find his scoring from there.

Kyrie as a scoring PG is obviously not that type of PG which has always caused me personally some extra difficulty with him. Same with Isaiah Thomas before him.

So for me to feel wholly comfortable with him offensively, what I have to see is the 4 other stars succeeding individually while he too (Kyrie) succeeds.

(2) That criticism of the young players and bad leadership. That whole thing rubbed the wrong way in a big way. He says he won't do that anymore and that he is moving on. I'll take him at his word on that and I am happy he realized he was handling it badly.
I've made a similar point before. Things may change, but as currently constituted, the team's ceiling is defined by Tatum and Brown's development, and Kyrie has not bent his game to accommodate that development enough. I think he's played very well, but he needs to amp up the pace and ball movement to allow them to thrive. He's played at a pace that benefits his own game the most. That isn't what is best for the team.

« Reply #429 on: January 29, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That's too stark.

I've made a similar point before. Things may change, but as currently constituted, the team's ceiling is defined by Tatum and Brown's development, and Kyrie has not bent his game to accommodate that development enough. I think he's played very well, but he needs to amp up the pace and ball movement to allow them to thrive. He's played at a pace that benefits his own game the most. That isn't what is best for the team.
Not sure what you are expecting from Kyrie Irving.  Is 11apg average over 4 games and a high of 18 in one game not enough ball movement?  He's also sacrificed his scoring average.  Beyond that,  if Kyrie does his magic tricks and the C's win, how is that not benefiting the team?  Also, scoring PGs are today's reality and it makes sense IMO.

« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Irving listed as doubtful tomorrow vs. CHA

« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Irving listed as doubtful tomorrow vs. CHA

Wise move.

Celts can beat CHA without Kyrie.

« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2019, 04:30:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Give credit to Jaylen Brown, he played very well tonight.

On the other hand, Hayward was horrible.
He just had 2 points.

I think Hayward will be better next season.
But the Celts really need to open up more minutes and shots for Hayward.

If the AD trade to the Celts happens, I think Tatum will be gone as the Pels would be asking for Tatum.
That might be what Brown and Hayward need.
Hayward starts in place of Tatum and Brown continues to come off the bench.
If Tatum is gone and Brown still on the team after a Davis trade, you can be assured that Smart is a Pelican so your starters would be Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Davis/Horford

It's also possible that it will be Horford, Tatum, and picks going to the Pels for AD.
Not really. The trade has to go down next summer, a summer Horford can opt out. So if he doesn't want to be included, he will just opt out and go elsewhere. For that, and other reasons, Horford willl not be included.

« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

That's too stark.

Who are the other 3 stars? Are we talking about Horford, Tatum and Brown? Aside from Horford's knee issues, he's had a good season. With Tatum, his shots per game and opportunities have been on par with what the playoffs last season, but his shot selection is an issue as he's settled for more midrange shots. With Jaylen, his offensive production is down because his 3pt shooting is come back down to earth. I'm not sure how Kyrie is supposed to fix that. At some point, you have to hold the players accountable for their progression or lack there of.

With that said, Marcus Smart is having the best offensive season of his career starting next to Kyrie. I don't think that's a coincidence.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman