Author Topic: Precious Achiuwa  (Read 2051 times)

Precious Achiuwa
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Having finally watched some of Precious Achiuwa's Memphis team play yesterday I came away impressed with his NBA potential and confused my more draft sites do not have him ranked in the top 10.

Physically: He has great size and length for a modern big wing. He measured 6'9 in shoes, 223 lbs with a 7'2.25" wingspan at the 2019 Hoop Summit.

For comparison the following players recently had comparable pre draft measurements

Paskal Siakam    was 6'9.5"  in shoes, 226.6 lbs with a 7'3.25" wingspan
Larry Nance jr    was 6'8.5"   in shoes 226.6 lbs with a 7'1.5" wingspan
aaron Gordon    was 6'8.75: in shoes 220.1 lbs with a 6'11.75" wingspan
Harrison Barnes was 6'7.75" in shoes 227.8lbs with a 6'11.25" wingspan
Al-Farouq Aminu was 6'8.5" in shoes 216.0 lbs with a 7'3.25" wingspan

Given those physical comps and his elite level athleticism he should have no problem defending modern PFs and likely will be able to play some small ball 5.

Skills: I a stats comparison with Aminu, Gordon and Siakam. (using tankathon http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=precious-achiuwa--al-farouq-aminu--aaron-gordon--pascal-siakam)

Per 36min

PPG
Achiuwa 20ppg
Aminu 18.2ppg
Gordon 18.2ppg
Siakam 21.1ppg

RB
Achiuwa 13.3
Aminu    12.2
Gordon    9.2
Siakam 12.1

Blocks
Achiuwa 2.6
Aminu    1.6
Gordon  1.2
Siakam  2.3

statistically he is very productive. On the court he seems really comfortable on the wing and appears to be a player developed with the idea of being perimeter players. His shot is a work in progress he is shooting 43% from 3 but this is likely a misrepresentation given he is averaging 1 attempt per game. His 55% from the FT line is a clear indication that his shooting is a work in progress. 

I see a lot of parallels between his development and Jaylen Brown's. Both players at the college level had/have clear elite physical tools and positional size and successfully used those to put up great statistical production. All be it with some what flawed skill sets that allotted them high TO % and poos FT/3pt shooting.

Like Brown the pieces are there for Achiuwa to be developed into an NBA allstar. This can not be said for many players in the 2020 draft. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Precious Achiuwa
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yes, I hope Danny goes for athleticism in this draft over achievement.  The guys we draft in 2020 should be for long term development, when guys like Hayward and Kemba are on the decline due to age.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
yes...stamp of approval for this guy.  This draft is not as horrible as it's made out to be.  Next year's may indeed be better...but this one is not a flop.
If we have an early 20's pick and Amar Sylla is still there....he's another hybrid wing/pf I'd be interested in for long term development. 

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 04:37:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Unbelievable athlete but let's also remember he is a 20 year old freshman, so he is a bit more filled out and stronger than the average 18 year old freshman. Still, he has tremendous measurables and the quickness and ability to elavate to accentuate his size, length and strength.

His problem is skill. The shot is a work in progress and not good right now. He doesn't have a lot of post moves or any moves really when going to the basket. Though he looks to have decent ball skills, he doesn't utilize them very well.

He is definitely someone to look at if our pick is in the 20-25 area. He might be a bit of a stretch for the Memphis pick, if the Memphis pick is say, in the lottery or just out(like 15 or 16). I think he could end up being anywhere between Aaron Gordon good to Semi Ojeleye good.