Author Topic: Trae Young Awareness Thread  (Read 16371 times)

Re: Trae Young Awareness Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2018, 06:10:29 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't get why you guys think Young is even worth a top 5 pick...

Can someone breakdown it for me?
Someone will try, and conveniently forget his complete lack of defensive ability

How many PGs in today’s league play good defense? Unless you are way undersized like IT it really doesn’t if you can score as well as make those around you better. Trae Young has those qualities.
KI and Smart both top10 in WS and this is our identity, if you only wants to score go to the Suns

Did I ever say the C's should draft him? Drafting someone top 5 just to come off the bench isn't Ainge's style. FYI: Kyrie isn't a good defender either.
We pretty much don't have any openings so no matter if draft someone at 2 or at 5 they are not going to crack the starting line-up. If the pick conveys and DA doesn't trade it then there is no other way for the pick to get playing time BUT to come off the bench.

A starting spot at C will probably be available next season.

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2018, 11:00:19 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Someone will try, and conveniently forget his complete lack of defensive ability

How many PGs in today’s league play good defense? Unless you are way undersized like IT it really doesn’t if you can score as well as make those around you better. Trae Young has those qualities.
KI and Smart both top10 in WS and this is our identity, if you only wants to score go to the Suns

Did I ever say the C's should draft him? Drafting someone top 5 just to come off the bench isn't Ainge's style. FYI: Kyrie isn't a good defender either.
We pretty much don't have any openings so no matter if draft someone at 2 or at 5 they are not going to crack the starting line-up. If the pick conveys and DA doesn't trade it then there is no other way for the pick to get playing time BUT to come off the bench.

I can only see Ayton cracking a spot but this offense may be too complicated for him, especially early on and since the training camps are much shorter now,  to getting significant minutes. He could be getting similar minutes as Baynes.
It's also nice to him knocking down a few three's this year but most of his offense comes from down low with his overpowering smaller defenders and easy putbackc. At least he's physically ready. Can't say that about any other big at the top of the draft.

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Jaylen Brown was drafted at 3 and came off the bench last year.  If Morris and Hayward were healthy to start the year Tatum probably would be coming off the bench.  Marcus Smart was drafted at 6 and is still coming off the bench.  The notion that Ainge won't draft guys top 5 to come off the bench is just absurd.  They'll play where they fit best, and like it.

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Jaylen Brown was drafted at 3 and came off the bench last year.  If Morris and Hayward were healthy to start the year Tatum probably would be coming off the bench.  Marcus Smart was drafted at 6 and is still coming off the bench.  The notion that Ainge won't draft guys top 5 to come off the bench is just absurd.  They'll play where they fit best, and like it.

You can only get away with that for so long. I think some guys will be consolidated next summer. Players need minutes and we are entering luxury cap territory now.

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Perhaps a "starting" spot will be open, but I'd assume it'll be pretty tough for any rookie big man to beat out Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown and Irving for minutes.

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
That 3 pointer that Young took against Oklahoma State was just very dumb. I hated that shot and I hated how confident he was in taking it.. No hesitation, with plenty of time left on the shot clock. Ugh. Sometimes I despise the 3 ball point era, because sometimes players don't even attempt to force the defense to hedge or switch.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:51:55 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
That 3 pointer that Young took against Oklahoma State was just very dumb. I hated that shot and I hated how confident he was in taking it.. No hesitation, with plenty of time left on the shot clock. Ugh. Sometimes I despise the 3 ball point era, because sometimes players don't even attempt to force the defense to hedge or switch.
I agree. He was just past the half court line. Still, if it wasn't for his 48 points (8 3-pointers) Okie wouldn't have been close in the game. His turnovers are killing me though.

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Good breakdown of Young's game from Mike Schmitz.

http://www.espn.com/nba/

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
Nice article about Trae in ESPN.  I'm rooting for him, sounds like a good kid.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23831582/nba-draft-trae-young-wants-do-never-done