Author Topic: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook  (Read 13809 times)

Re: SI: Celtics could trade Brown+Hayward for Westbrook
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2019, 07:03:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Calm down everyone, Danny isn't trading for Westbrook when he just signed Kemba.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is what happens when you have to crank out so many articles so quickly. He got assigned a Westbrook trade article and had to fill it out with some nonsense after the first two obvious possibilities.

I mean, I’d like to hope that the case.  But Westbrook is clearly on the block, Jaylen is up for a new deal next year, and I’d be absolutely shocked if Ainge hasn’t at least checked in on Westbrook’s availability.  I know for a darn-near certainty that Ainge explored a Westbrook-Isaiah trade a few summers ago, before Russ ultimately signed his pre-supermax extension.  And we know that Ainge will always prioritize talent, and much tho I love Jaylen, Russ is clearly the superior talent.

But Hayward-Brown doesn’t go far enough.  Try:

Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rob Williams, and Carsen Edwards for Russ and Adams.  That deal has Ainge and Presti written all over it, and then I become a thunder fan.
This is so weirdly pessimistic.

Anyways if Danny's problem is paying Jaylen a max contract, he isn't trading for the far larger max contract of a over thirty player on the decline whom plays the same position as his max FA acquisition.

We’d both like to think so, but... I’m just certain that despite everything you just said, Ainge has called about Russ.  And that deal starts at Hayward for salary and Brown or Tatum for the long-term.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 08:16:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Love Westbrook but just doesnt fit..we got Walker so we really dont need him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
We’d both like to think so, but... I’m just certain that despite everything you just said, Ainge has called about Russ.  And that deal starts at Hayward for salary and Brown or Tatum for the long-term.
I'm sure he called too, but I think it would be to see about facilitating a deal.

Hayward (on a potentially expiring) and Jaylen would be such a wild overpay though I'd be calling for Ainge's firing.

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2019, 08:33:09 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Heck no. All Russ cares about is hitting his triple doubles.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 08:33:23 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
This article is just a what could be kind of thing.  It doesn't seem very likely if for nothing else, why would OKC want Hayward ?  If they are going to trade Westbrook to rebuild, they are going to want to rebuild.

From the Celtics perspective, I don't like giving up Brown but if we can turn Hayward into Westbrook that is a win.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 08:37:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
This is what happens when you have to crank out so many articles so quickly. He got assigned a Westbrook trade article and had to fill it out with some nonsense after the first two obvious possibilities.

I mean, I’d like to hope that the case.  But Westbrook is clearly on the block, Jaylen is up for a new deal next year, and I’d be absolutely shocked if Ainge hasn’t at least checked in on Westbrook’s availability.  I know for a darn-near certainty that Ainge explored a Westbrook-Isaiah trade a few summers ago, before Russ ultimately signed his pre-supermax extension.  And we know that Ainge will always prioritize talent, and much tho I love Jaylen, Russ is clearly the superior talent.

But Hayward-Brown doesn’t go far enough.  Try:

Hayward, Brown, Smart, Rob Williams, and Carsen Edwards for Russ and Adams.  That deal has Ainge and Presti written all over it, and then I become a thunder fan.
This is so weirdly pessimistic.

Anyways if Danny's problem is paying Jaylen a max contract, he isn't trading for the far larger max contract of a over thirty player on the decline whom plays the same position as his max FA acquisition.

You can make a reasonable argument that both Westbrook and Adams aren't worth anything because of their contracts. Westbrook in particular is one of the least championship focused superstars of the modern era. The proposed trade might be the worst in Celtics history.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
This article is just a what could be kind of thing.  It doesn't seem very likely if for nothing else, why would OKC want Hayward ?  If they are going to trade Westbrook to rebuild, they are going to want to rebuild.

From the Celtics perspective, I don't like giving up Brown but if we can turn Hayward into Westbrook that is a win.
Hayward is the expiring or 2 year deal to make the money work. If OKC can get off Westbrook's super max last 2 years that's a massive win even without getting picks/players, add in a premium young wing? Presti would be lauded as a GM of year candidate for blowing up his team.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 08:41:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
You can make a reasonable argument that both Westbrook and Adams aren't worth anything because of their contracts. Westbrook in particular is one of the least championship focused superstars of the modern era. The proposed trade might be the worst in Celtics history.
They both clearly have negative value contracts from a dollars and percentage of cap perspective.

Again this isn't reporting on a potential deal, but a author's speculation.

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 08:41:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jaylen is too high a price for Westbrook. Westbrook is too old, too expensive and with his declining efficient offensively ... that is a non-starter.

Hayward for Westbrook is an interesting idea. Celtics give up some of their less valuable first rounders.

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
For me it depends on Hayward.  If he doesn't look like he is going to be near his Utah days, I'd probably make the trade.  Walker and Westbrook would be impossible for other teams to defend.  Weak defensively, sure, but offense is far more valuable these days then offense is.  You still have Smart for guard defense when needed and of course have Tatum.  I'd probably try to get Patterson back to add some big man depth. 

So, if, and only if, I didn't like how Hayward was progressing I'd do this.

Westbrook, Patterson

for

Hayward, Brown

So Post-trade

Guards - Westbrook, Walker, Smart, Edwards, Wanamaker
Wings/Swings - Tatum, Patterson, Langford, Semi
Bigs - Kanter, Poirier, Theis, Williams, Williams

That team strikes me as having a much better title shot than the one without making the trade if Hayward is no where near his Utah days (which again was the premise under which I'd make the trade).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 08:45:16 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
lol at some of these responses. Ainge has never made a trade as irresponsible and stupid as piling up a bunch of assets for a loser like Westbrook.

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 08:49:08 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Wow, I really just don't like the idea of this deal. People were hammering Kyrie for being too ball dominant, they would absolutely hate Westbrook. From a roster building standpoint, we subtract two wings and add yet another PG. We would be starting Kemba, Westbrook, Smart, Tatum, and Kanter, I guess. I get that we would have the star power in the back court, but that line-up is really unbalanced and it makes our bench even worse. If OKC couldn't make it work with Westrbook, PG, and Adams, I don't know why we think we could make it work with that line up. Poor Smart would be the only one playing defense...and at SF, nonetheless.

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Patterson is a PF

Patterson also is so cooked he couldn't get into a playoff game this year at all and only got 10 MPG last year on an OKC team desperate for a stretch 4.

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 08:49:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Wow, I really just don't like the idea of this deal. People were hammering Kyrie for being too ball dominant, they would absolutely hate Westbrook. From a roster building standpoint, we subtract two wings and add yet another PG. We would be starting Kemba, Westbrook, Smart, Tatum, and Kanter, I guess. I get that we would have the star power in the back court, but that line-up is really unbalanced and it makes our bench even worse. If OKC couldn't make it work with Westrbook, PG, and Adams, I don't know why we think we could make it work with that line up. Poor Smart would be the only one playing defense...and at SF, nonetheless.
Yeah there isn't any place for Westbrook given that we just signed Kemba.