Author Topic: Welcome Kevin Love and Dion Waiters  (Read 9527 times)

Re: Welcome Kevin Love and Dion Waiters
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think Waiters will be a star. He has all the talent to become one. The real problem is if he can truly become that stud.

He's more likely to be the next Marshon Brooks than a star.

I'd put him closer to a healthy Eric Gordon.

That is quite a compliment to Waiters - I didn't know you were a fan. There are many posters here that would take on the current Eric Gordon and his huge contract. A healthy Gordon on a rookie contract is the best of both worlds.

I am all for taking a chance this offseason on a go-to scorer, but the proposed trade seems like a major overpay based on past production (as you have already noted).

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 11:40:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Waiters will be a star. He has all the talent to become one. The real problem is if he can truly become that stud.

That is quite a compliment to Waiters - I didn't know you were a fan. There are many posters here that would take on the current Eric Gordon and his huge contract. A healthy Gordon on a rookie contract is the best of both worlds.

I am all for taking a chance this offseason on a go-to scorer, but the proposed trade seems like a major overpay based on past production (as you have already noted).

I wouldn't mind taking on Gordon if they took Wallace...

I think Gordon is also a very underrated player, the only problem is his contract is why everyone seems so down on him. A healthy Gordon can net you at least 18 PPG, which is still impressive.

I would rather try to go after Waiters though.

He seeps of potential, and the Bucks/Cavs are the worst franchises to end up right now.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2014, 12:10:30 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

;D

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 08:42:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I see a lot of similarities.  Waiters has a good outside shot, and he can be pretty dynamic offensively.  He also is allergic to defense, and doesn't understand his own limitations or his role in the offense.

I'd like to see him go to a team where he could be well-coached. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I see a lot of similarities.  Waiters has a good outside shot, and he can be pretty dynamic offensively.  He also is allergic to defense, and doesn't understand his own limitations or his role in the offense.

I have my suspicions that he is the sort of guy who won't listen if well-coached.  I can see him holding it together for one good year, getting a decent contract, then reverting to form and making his team regret giving him that contract within six months.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 08:50:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I have my suspicions that he is the sort of guy who won't listen if well-coached.  I can see him holding it together for one good year, getting a decent contract, then reverting to form and making his team regret giving him that contract within six months.

Yeah, some serious JR Smith potential there.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Insane overpay for Dion Waiters.
Yup.

I'm curious if Love would even consider Cleveland. If not then we still have the best package: no 6, cap space, young PF talent, and more draft picks to throw in.

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Gordon defended very well for a small 2 his best two years. Waiters has never shown that potential even.

Gordon's one elite skill was getting to the line, Waiters elite skill is definitely his ability to drive with his strength. Though his overall scoring is awful because his shot selection is putrid.

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
2 firsts and KO for a guy who should be backing up Avery Bradley if the Celtics trade for him?

2 seconds and Phil Pressey, maybe.

You think that trade is bad, search the board for the trade proposed for Bismack biyombo -- Green + Bass + KO for a 6'9 center who averaged under 3ppg and under 5 rpg LOL.

And the overpayment for Waiters is ridiculous.  We're talking about a 43% shooter who averages less than 1 steal and .24 bpg as a guard...  No thank you.  Bradley would eat Waiter's lunch in a one on one battle.

I think Bradley Beal is the next and upcoming version of Ray Allen.

These are numbers that compared in advanced metrics of rookie seasons.

Rk   Player   Season   Age   G   MP   PER   TS%   eFG%   FTr   3PAr   ORB%   DRB%   TRB%   AST%   STL%   BLK%   TOV%   USG%   ORtg   DRtg   OWS   DWS   WS   WS/48
1   Bradley Beal   2012-13   19   56   1745   13.6   .515   .477   .231   .344   2.7   10.8   6.7   13.7   1.5   1.3   10.6   22.2   102   105   1.0   2.0   3.0   .082
2   Dion Waiters   2012-13   21   61   1756   13.7   .492   .451   .261   .249   1.4   8.8   4.9   18.4   1.7   0.7   11.8   26.1   99   111   0.3   0.6   0.9   .026

In season two, we see that Waiters has surpassed Beal in most shooting categories, while getting to the free throw line a whole lot more. Waiters has seen his work in the offseason on his shooting pay off --shooting 35% compared to 31% on the same percentage of 3 pointers taken -- and thus raising his eFG and TS%, even as his drop in FT% hurts his true shooting number.

Beal, on the other hand, is taking a larger number of two point shots than he did a season ago. This is problematic because he is only shooting 40% on 2 point shots, whereas he is a 41% three point shooter. Despite being a much better free throw shooter, Beal has trouble getting to the line to use that skill. These factors have all combined to show a statistical regression in Beal's game.

Waiters has great handles, and huge confidence in himself.

Hes improved in every facet of the game that he was struggling with, and hopefully he'll learn how to improve his free throws. His form actually looks nice.

I would totally be down for  Beal trade but I dont think he would be on the market quite yet..

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Gordon defended very well for a small 2 his best two years. Waiters has never shown that potential even.

Gordon's one elite skill was getting to the line, Waiters elite skill is definitely his ability to drive with his strength. Though his overall scoring is awful because his shot selection is putrid.

I know people aren't convinced Waiters can be a star. I just think he'll do well as a person who has ball handling skills, and can use his strength to drive inside. While his defense is pretty bad, hes still young.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different